1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next mission...

Get this

To work with this

Its the EVOMS intake setup for a Cayenne. The heat shields slide right into place where the factory air boxes go. I'll have to skip on the hoses that came with the setup, since I can't use them. I probably won't see much for gains, given I've already done what I can with the stock air boxes and K&N panel filters. But, it really was a smoking deal! Just a hair over what I paid for the K&Ns...

Its going to take some a couple different reducers, a couple joining pieces, and some couplers & clamps... but I'll find a way!!!

:wave:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I found this place...

Intercooler Pipe Fabrication

I took down the measurements of what it would take to get from the venturi filter to the MAF, and then from the MAF to the OEM Y-pipe. Here's what I came up with...

Having the template really helped when navigating the site for the correct parts. Once I found the correct silicone reducers, elbows, and stainless joints, I placed the order. I'm guessing I won't see the parts till next week.

I probably won't see too much in gains. But, for me, it's more of a "cool, one-of-a-kind," setup. With this kit, plus the extra stuff to make it work, I'll be under $300. I figured if I sold my gutted airboxes and K&N panel filters, I may just make up some of that cost for the EVOMS setup.

Once I get the parts here, I'll piece it all together. I'll try and get some before & after audio clips.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so I got MOST of the parts in. I'm still waiting on one more set of stainless couplers, so I can join my 45* reducing hose to the OEM Y-hose that leads into the throttle body. But, as with any new box of goodies, you can't help but rip it open and start playing.

So here's a test fit on the driver's side...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Looks good. Let us know how it sounds and works when finished.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the couplers I'm waiting on, are on backorder till Nov 11th. I may try for another option between then and now. But I'm pretty impressed by their quality.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are very similar. I think the overall design path is the same. But I think the Y-boot is defferent, putting the elbow connections in a slightly different connection point.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a buddy coming over later who just got a T1 V8. So I will compare and let you all know some specifics. I'm pretty sure he will be buying my old setup, with the K&N panels and gutted boxes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good to know. I had a full shopping cart of parts, back to the drawing board. Should be easy enough to figure out though. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way I see it... after my 45* bend, I meet up with my OEM Y-boot. You should need another 6"-8" straight from there to meet up with your Y-boot.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I assume you had these before:-
k&n.PNG

did you have a measurable difference in performance with those fitted
compared to stock filters?

the pods look neat but they don't seem to offer more surface area to the flat
type K&N's?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did drop in the K&N Panels, but went a step further...

I've done this on several vehicles, to get a lil more flow into the box, but still keeping the engine bay heat out. I cut out as much of the back of the box as possible...

It gives you a lil more of a throaty sound when getting on the throttle. I'm hoping that with the added Venturi style intake from the EVOMS setup, I may see a lil performance gain. Possibly even more of a throaty sound with there just being a heat shield, rather than the remnants of the OEM box.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started mocking up the passenger side today...

I had trouble fitting everything together, with the filter attached to the heat shield. I will have to trim about 3"-4" off the 2.75" side of my silicone elbow hose. It's just too long to fit everything, as is.

I picked up some cheap lil vent tubes from Lowes, just so I could test fit the elbows to the OEM Y-boot. Once I got all of the connections slipped on, I fired it up and gave it a couple quick revs. Definitely a more noticeable gulp of air from the throttle body, with the open filter elements.

It will be nice when I get the permanent joiners in there, and everything clamped down. We'll see what kind of throttle response I get under load.

Until then, I'll just have to keep imagining this setup tucked away under the hood...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Looks a lot cleaner in there! I just replaced my filters and plugs today on mine.... Would be much easier with that setup!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still waiting on the 3" stainless joiners to come back in stock. They aren't due till Nov. 11th.

In the mean time, I found an OEM Y-boot section on eBay pretty cheap. Once that shows up, I'll see if I can replace with more silicone parts. The Y specifically may be tough. The B5 S4 boot comes close, with one port built inot it. But the 4.2FSI has two. So I'll need to figure out where to tap into for the 2nd one, if the diameter of the throttle body is even the same.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alrighty.... the EvoMS Intake is all buttoned up. Once I got the joiners in, I found them to be too big. Even though the opening to the OEM Y-Boot is 3", the lip that is on the 3" joiner is just too big to slide into the boot. There just isn't enough flex in the hard plastic, where as the silicone hoses have some wiggle room. So I was stuck scratchin my head for a while.

I bought a back up Y-Boot on eBay, just in case I screwed up my original. I tried putting a lil slice in the hose, in an attempt to make room for the joiner, but that didn't help. So I had to chop a lil section out of each OEM elbow and use that section as my joiner. Given the OEM elbow had a lil metal ring for reinforcement, it worked out pretty good. It can handle the clamps without squishing the boot.

So, here's the final placement of the driver's side...

A lil product plug for EvoMS...

The passenger side...

From the front...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Looks awesome! I wish we could pick up the plates Evoms created to hold the filter/ clip into the OE mounting location. Anyone have Cad software or a 3D scanner to create a template :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts