Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm having a brush guard made for my Treg. Like the one in the photos attached, but a little bigger for better coverage. I also wanted a place to mount a winch in the center. I feel like this is a pretty good solution as it ties in directly to the recovery points and is easily removable.

I'm waiting on one more place to get back to me with a quote, but pretty sure it'll be less than $1k. If anyone else is interested, we could get a few made. I personally don't want to deal with shipping them, but the fabrication place would probably do it.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha - I agree. I wouldn't get that exact one made. Haven't started a design yet though. I'm looking for late winter/early spring delivery.

Going from the post where I found that, the guy wanted "intercooler protection." I'd definitely do something that provides more protection/coverage.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Unfortunately, with most brush guards, unless you implement an actual metal bumper, it's not going to be very effective, and more for the esthetics.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't need anything hard core. I'm mostly looking for just some minimal protection and a place to mount a winch without taking apart the front end. Having it be removable is a plus.

·
Registered
444 Posts
True. But when you get into winch mounts, the cross brace that the winch is mounted on has to be extremely strong. I just don't know if mounting something to the two recovery points is going to be effective. But I am interested in this project. I built my own.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm having a brush guard made for my Treg. Like the one in the photos attached, but a little bigger for better coverage. I also wanted a place to mount a winch in the center. I feel like this is a pretty good solution as it ties in directly to the recovery points and is easily removable.

I'm waiting on one more place to get back to me with a quote, but pretty sure it'll be less than $1k. If anyone else is interested, we could get a few made. I personally don't want to deal with shipping them, but the fabrication place would probably do it.

Let me know what you think!
I'd call that a "damage multiplier"! It will bend in and cause more damage than without it.

Absolutely no way that you could mount a winch to that. There is not enough strength in the tow hook area to support a winch. There's a reason it must be securely mounted to the frame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is not enough strength in the tow hook area to support a winch.
Ok, I can see that - part of the reason I'm asking what people think. My reasoning was that if you can pull the whole truck by the tow hooks, can you not pull from the tow hooks? Is that not the same thing? Seems like the applied force would be the same. Or are you saying the two tow hooks can't hold ~120lbs of weight?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have no doubt that the tow hooks can hold the allotted weight, it's the cross bar they're mounted to that might buckle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts