Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of messages about various brake controllers, so I just wanted to report that the Curt Echo has worked perfectly for me on my 2013 TDI.

I'm towing an older camper with incandescent lights and didn't have any issues pairing the brake controller with my phone. It was also easy to adjust the controller for smooth braking at any speed.

The controller does stick out at a 45 degree angle toward the ground, but I haven't had any concerns with it being too close to the ground. It's connected in the attached pictures.

Automotive tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had one for 3 days. I was super impressed with the connectivity and the functionality, not as much with the angle.

That being said I lost mine somehow after about 3 days so that was a bit of a waste of money haha. I ended up going with a CURT 51160 and a CURT 51522 instead which was a simple install with the factory plug. Now I don't have to worry about losing the wireless piece! Hopefully you will have better luck than me with keeping it around lol.

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
315 Posts
The controller does stick out at a 45 degree angle toward the ground, but I haven't had any concerns with it being too close to the ground. It's connected in the attached pictures.
Could you use a short 3ft 7-pin extension for when you're running the controller. Remove it when you're not? That way it's up out of the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you use a short 3ft 7-pin extension for when you're running the controller. Remove it when you're not? That way it's up out of the way.
I've seen other people do that, but I haven't felt the need to do it yet. Maybe I should pay more attention to how close it gets to the ground when I'm pulling in/out of my driveway. I thought it was far enough up to not hit the ground, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Really, based on the pics the plug is about the same level or even a bit higher than the tongue jack. If you are bottoming out or hitting that low you may have other concerns :). You are probably fine as the cable has some flex and can be pushed up.

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
315 Posts
I've seen other people do that, but I haven't felt the need to do it yet. Maybe I should pay more attention to how close it gets to the ground when I'm pulling in/out of my driveway. I thought it was far enough up to not hit the ground, but I could be wrong.
Our Maine property has a good 8" drop down getting into the driveway from the dirt road. No problem for my 8x10 utlity trailer but pretty sure it would rip the Curt right off if I had one, lol.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,441 Posts
If anyone using this brake controller took the 4 bolts out of the receptacle and reinstalled it upside down, would the controller clear the bumper? I know the cover door for the receptacle would close going upwards but would that matter as well?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am using a Curt Echo and like it. The first one I had got cracked so with the second one I hooked in the cord from my Hates sway control my Treg receptacle first (red arrow) and then plugged Echo into the Hayes sway control (blue arrow) and then hooked trailer cord (green arrow) into the Echo. It works very well but I noticed that the Echo doesn’t power up until I plug in the trailer cord. If this didn’t work I was going to remove the seay control and use a 3ft extension in same location (eTeailer told me it would work) but since this works I am continuing to use the swaymaster box. If you go off road at all I would recommend you do something to change the angle of the Echo as breakage is common with the Treg receptacle angled this way.
View attachment 246573

1 - 10 of 10 Posts