Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2010 T2 for four months now and while I like the car, I hate the fact that it eats everything I have! Since I got the car the top section of the armrest will not lift up fully. I suspect the previous owner dropped something in to jam it. It only lifts an inch or so to slide papers in. The armrest will not slide forward. It starts to slide maybe half an inch when it gets stuck and won't move further.

My wife has been dropping things between the seat and the centre console that are tough to get out and hasn't been able to get an earring out. She put the other earring in the dash top tray which I accidentally dropped into the centre console vent when I lifted something out of the tray.

Now I put my driver's license and credit/debit card on top of the change holder to avoid losing from my pocket and when I came back to the car I completely forgot about it and drove off. By the time I realized it they were nowhere to be seen. I assume they slipped down under the dash which seems to be designed like a mail slot to swallow thin items. When I used a laminated sheet to reach in and try to swipe it out the side no luck. It goes freely "down the chute" but can't move it to the side. I can't open the change holder cover fully as it is stuck by the cards.

How do I get access to this area? When I follow the center console side up to the front it's a solid piece that goes right up to the dash. Is the center console need to be removed for this and maybe the bottom part of the dash as well?

I found how to remove the wood trim and the change holder in a DIY section although it was probably for an older model. I have a 2010 TDI.

I am going to keep searching but if anyone can provide a link it would be much appreciated.

I may not have a choice but to take it to my mechanic in the morning. What would a cop say if I told him my car ate my license if I was pulled over? :laugh:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry but that is very funny. While installing a UHF aerial i found lots of papers from the previous owner jammed in front of the
console under the dash. I used a coat hanger hook to remove them while lying on the passenger floor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's funny but I can't laugh until I get my cards out

My wife managed to get one card back and a $20 bill, she is working on the rest. It looks like the cards dropped below the change holder lid.

I found DIY thread for fixing the mirror control and installing the keyless button. According to it I have to work my way forward from the storage bin removing the bin, wood trim and change holder. If my wife can't get them out, removing these parts should provide access.

If I wanted to fix the lid of the storage bin, how does it come apart? I don't see a big gulp holder under to top piece when I lift it, the 2010 model should lift all the way up and slide forward as well, correct? Links to disassembly instructions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 2010 is put together the same as the other T1s so follow the instructions you found. Buy a set of trim removal tools, plastic spudgers, and complete set of xzn ( triple square) bits, Amazon seems to have the best prices. It just takes time and patience to do. For the missing earring use the battery changing guides to access under the seat, works on passenger side also. The console be careful with the wood trim as it ages it cracks easliy if pried on too much.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Big gulp holder was cut out during decontining and the lid does lift all the way up and slide forward using the buttons on the front, the left one that lift up the whole lid up or if pushed and push the lid forward sides. If the buttons aren't working properly or broken find a replacement console.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was heading out on a 3 day backpacking trip and put my parking pass on the dash and it immediately slipped down the windshield completely out of view. 😐 I was loaded and ready to go and had to postpone my departure while I did surgery on my car. Luckily I did manage to tease it out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2010 is put together the same as the other T1s so follow the instructions you found. Buy a set of trim removal tools, plastic spudgers, and complete set of xzn ( triple square) bits, Amazon seems to have the best prices. It just takes time and patience to do. For the missing earring use the battery changing guides to access under the seat, works on passenger side also. The console be careful with the wood trim as it ages it cracks easliy if pried on too much.
I am going to be optimistic and hope that we can remove the cards using tweezers when my wife comes home. She said she could see the rest of the cards but needed flatter fingers :smile2:.
I would be extremely hesitant prying out the center trim.

Thanks for the tip on the battery replacement docs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big gulp holder was cut out during decontining and the lid does lift all the way up and slide forward using the buttons on the front, the left one that lift up the whole lid up or if pushed and push the lid forward sides. If the buttons aren't working properly or broken find a replacement console.
The whole lid does flip up to access the bin, however the top part of the lid does not lift up all the way to access the little shelf in the armrest. The buttons are not the problem something is in the way preventing the lid from lifting up more than an inch or sliding forward. It's not immediately obvious what's preventing the movement though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts