Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new comer to the forum I find it real difficult to find content about specific Touareg generation as all the technical sections and etc are joined together. I suggest separating discussion areas into generation specific sub sections. Folks on the corvette forums have done this and it works beautifully.

C6 Corvette Forum | 2005 Corvette | Pictures | Photos | Forum | Forums

·
Administrator
511 Posts
Hi there,

Thank you for the suggestion. We'll do a little investigating on our side to see if your suggestion warrants us to implement it at this time.

Yung

As a new comer to the forum I find it real difficult to find content about specific Touareg generation as all the technical sections and etc are joined together. I suggest separating discussion areas into generation specific sub sections. Folks on the corvette forums have done this and it works beautifully.

C6 Corvette Forum | 2005 Corvette | Pictures | Photos | Forum | Forums

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have seen this before and you need significant differences between sections to make this work. Dividing the conversation up can reduce the participation and exchange of ideas.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
Dividing the conversation up can reduce the participation and exchange of ideas.
I am not a supporter of division, as I may not own the same year you have, but I may know the answer you are looking for. If the Forum is broken into Divisions I may never read your post and deprive you of a solution that may have been available.

Stuart...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Allowing to edit the first post longer than 30 minutes, maybe forever, would make it easier to properly label threads with T1 and engine and so forth. And as the discussion goes the OP can add vehicles to the label. This do of course only work if it becomes a habit for all users to label their threads.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm with you on the 30 minutes.

Leaving editing open forever can cause issues where someone posts something, another member replies to it without quoting that post and then the person who posted first changes or deletes their post!

I know, I did it to someone - not intentionally - and made a nonsense of their response with no opportunity for either of us to correct it.

I think an hour would be good, two hours better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think dividing the information between different Touarg generations would be immensely helpful moving forward. Case in point, I am now re-searching a tow hitch installation on my 2013 VR sport. All of the threads are mixed up with info for the T1, T2 & T3 models making it really difficult to find the answers relating to your actually Tuareg model.

Also, revising the structure would greatly boost the SEO properties of the forum all together.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think dividing the information between different Touarg generations would be immensely helpful moving forward. Case in point, I am now re-searching a tow hitch installation on my 2013 VR sport. All of the threads are mixed up with info for the T1, T2 & T3 models making it really difficult to find the answers relating to your actually Tuareg model.

Also, revising the structure would greatly boost the SEO properties of the forum all together.
But many features of a particular Touareg are common with the other versions - or some of them in many cases.

With a T4, it's important to know about T3 - after all both are just 2nd generation to VW themselves - and it's not like T1/T2 are totally different.

·
Registered
65 Posts
T1/T2 in a section

T3/T4 in another section

seems like the more logical way for the future

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

T1/T2 in a section

T3/T4 in another section

seems like the more logical way for the future

It's far too late for these kind of suggestions.

There are thousands of threads with links to all four cars and, putting it bluntly, many people take not the slightest notice of how to post or where to post.

Some folk clearly don't even know the difference between T1, 2, 3 and 4!

Policing it would be more than a full time job.

Are you guys up for doing it?

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Hi all,

While we are always looking for new ways to better organize threads, what Nooby mentions is correct. This also echoes other staff members opinions on the subject.

The further we further sub-divide our forums to organize the harder it get for the members to know where to post. We end up with dozens of threads every week that are posted to the wrong forums as it is, like technical posts in the Site Issues and Help forum for example. This turns into a big administrative headache as a moderator then has to move and sort those posts to their appropriate forum.

There are plenty of engine and drivetrain technologies that are similar and span the years of chassis. Dividing the knowledge up into a T1/T2 and T3/T4 forum would be a sure way that entire classes of owners will miss the opportunity to chime in and assist.

We'll keep watch on threads like these to see if there are any strokes of genius. Who knows, you may get promoted to the prestigious position of moderator! The pay is great! ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
One thing that does not help is there is FAR MORE T1/2 ppl on the forums than T3/4 ppl

this will change over time but will take another 6-10 years...

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
All good things grow the the roots up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
aircooled
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing