Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this on their touaregs? Whenever I'm in drive and slowly release the brake I can hear a slight groaning/creaking sound. Is that a normal thing? What is causing it?

2012 V6 TDI

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Could be worn out pads, something stuck in a pad, a dragging pad, etc.......
Take your wheels off and inspect your rotors and pads for clues.... if you see any gouges in your rotor, then take things apart to see what's causing it.

Can you hear it when you apply the brakes gently?
Does it go quiet once you are fully off the brakes?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be worn out pads, something stuck in a pad, a dragging pad, etc.......
Take your wheels off and inspect your rotors and pads for clues.... if you see any gouges in your rotor, then take things apart to see what's causing it.

Can you hear it when you apply the brakes gently?
Does it go quiet once you are fully off the brakes?
I have this car only for 2 weeks, the previous owner went through an inspection 3 weeks ago, with 0 flaws.
I can't remember exactly, but when I apply the brakes I think there's a slight sound just for a second right before stopping, like a second before stopping. I can only hear the sound when I'm at a stop light and move an inch forward. Yes it does go quiet when I fully release the brake, and there's no sound when I brake normally, like reducing speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird that I can't edit my own post...
To add to the post above, the sound is closer to a spring stretching, I can't describe it exactly, maybe it's how automatic cars work, I've never driven one before so that's why I'm wondering.
Also I found this answer on yahoo answers:
This is because in an auto, the car is constantly trying to move, so the second you start to release the brakes, the car moves a little, which causes the brakes to rub ever so slightly, however with a manual, the car is not trying to move because you still have the clutch in. If you are on a steep incline in a manual, let out slowly on the brake and you will get the same thing. It is just the fact that the car is in gear and pulling in an auto.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a similar sound coming from my left, front caliper. It's not due to the AT, although maybe that's what caused components to prematurely wear. I'll be able to open things up this weekend or next, but it definitely is a spring-like noise compressing/stretching when someone presses the brake pedal and then releases it--with the engine completely off, too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
What brake pads are you running? Second, what rotors?

I have had noise issues from various aftermarket pads. Generally the less expensive the pads equals the more noise.

Never had a noisy rotor, but the question follows the pads. Cheap rotors are prone to get warped, but that is a different issue.

We don't even know if it is the front or the rear. It makes a difference since the parking brakes are on the rear. Which brakes are the noise coming from?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Lolz. The "It must be true, I read it on the internet!" defense. ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello..

The first thing I would check is the suspension. I don't think the brakes would make the kind of sound you describe, but worn out bushings and other suspension parts can. Take a through look at your suspension if you know what to look for, or have a professional check it for you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the same thing happening now. I had taken to the stealer back January and they I would need breaks in about a year or less depending on the use. The noise is annoying and I'm having it changed sooner than later because I noticed that when slowing down on the highway to get out an exit, my steering wheel tends to shake. When first heard the noise, it sounded like the suspension noise coming from the front especially when I break..its like a groaning creaking noise is the best I can describe it. My suspension wasnt the problem as the dealer confirmed that it was fine during the inspection of the truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To update: I drove through some heavy rain and deep puddles at city speeds and the creaking sound reduced significantly. Maybe now someone has a better idea what it could be.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Lubricate all your bushings and pivot connections. Your suspension stuff is all dried up. Get your stuff oil sprayed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a squeeling sound at very low speed and light brake pressure. It goes away if I apply more pressure or less pressure. I suspect it’s the result of ceramic pads on rotors without anti squeal compound.m
It’s great to warn people as I back out of a parking space.

Is there any easy fix? Shims etc??

Is this the same as the OP issue?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
NTDI
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing