Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These cars are cranky when not serviced on time. Bought this car a few months ago and performed the timing belt service due to a bad water pump. Bought it that way for a deal. Needed a few things like a battery for one. These things are HUGE! Then I found out my drivers door doesn't lock and a few other things like the lift gate struts, head light ballasts and intake manifold actuators, not to mention a leaky windshield washer bottle and one bad tire pressure sensor. Does every problem this car has cost a thousand dollars?! One by one I'm sorting these things out and getting to know this car and its weaknesses. This week I learned that while most other cars are forgiving as far as oil changes and maintenance are concerned, this one definitely is not. I noticed my tranny gasket started to fail and I was probably a little low on fluid and due for a change anyway at appx. 59k miles. So I did my research and found compatible transmission fluid and motor oil and their evil filter counterparts at somewhat deep discount.
Mobil 1 0w40 that I found at Walmart for $52 for 10Qts and T-IV tranny fluid which each cost me $49 plus the oil filter at $12 and tranny filter at $22. Turns out its the best money you could ever spend on these cars. My transmission shifts like Buttah and the engine is smooth as silk. Neither of these traits were present before I did these maintenance procedures, both of which cost me $75 total labor. ( I have very good private mechanics) The only things left to do are the plugs now that I have solved the bewitching frozen intake manifold runner syndrome, the ballasts (I don't understand why these are $500 each, you can buy an entire big screen HD tv for less), the tpms, the upper intake manifold runner solenoid(try and say that 3 times fast) Door lock, and the lift supports.
In the spring i''ll be attempting the lift gate strut replacement dismantling the interior of my car and trying to source the ridiculously expensive strut replacements. Oh then I have to man up and attempt the drivers door lock actuator replacement phuckery. Obviously I didn't know what i was signing up for. I just thought it was a bad water pump. But the person who buys this car (after I'm done with it in a couple months) is going to get one hell of a pampered Touareg. These cars are cranky but they're a hoot to drive. You gotta love 'em. Almost like being a Ford man.

Sorry for the rant but this what happens after I get home from picking this thing up from my mechanic (who told me not to buy this car) and drowning my sorrows with too much Jack Daniels and Amoretto. I love you guys...this is a great forum.:drunk:puke

·
Registered
1 Posts
Geo Chambers

Yes, Touaregs cost thousands to repair. I have fought a losing battle keeping up with this SUV. Can you tell me where the windshield washer pump is located? Can't find anything on line about it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you want help, use Search first. There's not many problems that are new!

I typed the following into Bing and there's several helpful threads you can look through - a couple attached:

site:www.clubtouareg...com windscreen washer

[NB: no underline and remove two of the full stops in front of com as this site buggers up its own www address!]

Otherwise, if you are stuck, always start your own thread with the problem briefly described in the title. Then people who may be able to help might open your thread and do so. It also helps anyone else asking the same question later.

FYI, the pump can be found where you might expect it - on the washer bottle, but this is accessed by removing the front wheel and the plastic wheel arch shield.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/windscreen-washer-reservoir-209193.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/windshield-washer-reservoir-leaking-83837.html

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Struts are cheap. The luber tool can cost thousands though. I have a source, real stuff, German black forest select....no messing around.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Oh, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice luber, that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts