Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had our first sub-zero day in Minnesota. Went out to the Touareg in the garage and noticed all of our "Wood Grain" pieces in the interior have all cracked in several places. The car was in our garage at at least 40 degrees.
Has anyone else had any quality issues with their "wood grain"?
I'll contact the dealer on Monday and let you all know the response.
~Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Cracked wood trim has happened to many Touareg owners. Probably not related to the sub-zero temp, but regardless of the reason, it's covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2004 Touareg (purchased in Sept. 2004) had small cracks on the glovebox panel brand new! The cracks have since gotten larger, and the one on the driver door has 2 large cracks in it. They occurred in normal (ie above 40 degree) weather conditions. Dealer has issued me a "we owe" statement confirming they will replace the wood at the first scheduled maintenance. They owed me because of some other horrible service problems and point blank told me they were making an exception for the wood replacement, so I can't say if they do this for everybody.

·
Registered
106 Posts
spockcat said:
kk,
You can buy plain aluminum trim in two differrent colors or engine spin aluminum. There is no CF available at this time.
yes, but can you get it in North America?
I know Atlas has a black trim kit that they want to unload pretty cheaply...
I'm more afraid that if I purchase that kit (or any other one) and it's not the correct kit I'm stuck with a costly paperweight.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
kompressor kanada said:
spockcat said:
kk,
You can buy plain aluminum trim in two differrent colors or engine spin aluminum. There is no CF available at this time.
yes, but can you get it in North America?
I know Atlas has a black trim kit that they want to unload pretty cheaply...
I'm more afraid that if I purchase that kit (or any other one) and it's not the correct kit I'm stuck with a costly paperweight.
These would be OEM parts, why wouldn't they fit?

·
Registered
106 Posts
there are more than one level of trim, so I guess what I'm saying is that the kit they (Atlas) has would have to match mine to make it useful.
I have base V6 trim.
no wood on the center console except for the shifter.
and from what I recall (only going from memory) I have wood on aluminium on the doors and dash... where some of the fancier trim levels have only wood.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
kompressor kanada said:
there are more than one level of trim, so I guess what I'm saying is that the kit they (Atlas) has would have to match mine to make it useful.
I have base V6 trim.
no wood on the center console except for the shifter.
and from what I recall (only going from memory) I have wood on aluminium on the doors and dash... where some of the fancier trim levels have only wood.
Actually the wood always is over the aluminum, never alone. But there is an interior offered in Europe (and the rest of the world outside of NA) that is just aluminum, no wood at all.

There is also plain black plastic.

Here are some photos for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
kompressor kanada said:
that is the exact trim I'm after.
any way to source it without having to go through a European dealer?
are part#'s accessable?

I have a few suppliers in Germany that could probably order it through their VW dealer if I asked.
Be warned that those "all aluminum" trims are in fact plastic. You might be disappointed if you ordered them expecting to get the same trim just without the wood. If you want to go woodless look at the "Engine Spin" trim pieces - they are the real thing as far as I know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
spockcat said:
collideous,
I think they are just like the trim in the cars with wood, a thin aluminum over a plastic frame. They certainly look that way in the photos I've seen.
Pit got that trim in his car. He mentioned over at German Touareg-Freunde that the trim was plastic. It's got more like a sanded finish rather than the brushed finished on the wood trim.

I'm planning on replacing the wood trim with the engine spin, but haven't looked into availability in the US yet as it isn't high on my priority list. If anyone has information about pricing and availability, I'd be happy to hear about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.