Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Touareg owner here and I just accidentally/stupidly cracked my mirror this morning (don't want to get into it). :mad: Pissed off. The mirror is heated and has the auto adj in reverse. I am NOT sure if it has the auto dimming feature (I know those are more expensive). It has all the electronic hookups on the back of the glass, but again not sure if that's just for the heat and adjusting or what.

I just want to replace the glass with the same features it has now. Does anyone have one or know a good place to get it cheap?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you only have two "hook ups" then I think you have the standard mirror glass that is heated.

Mine was the equivalent of about $40 from the dealer.

You can try getting it elsewhere but I couldn't be bothered as I knew I'd be getting the correct part and it was convenient!

See how the old one comes out so you know how to put the new one in. Mine went in with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just had to replace the drivers side mirror glass on my Audi which is heated and auto dimming. List was almost $400. :-( Hope for you it's less on the Treg.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The auto dimming makes the mirror VERY expensive at around the $350 mark I think as you discovered

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you only have two "hook ups" then I think you have the standard mirror glass that is heated.

Mine was the equivalent of about $40 from the dealer.

You can try getting it elsewhere but I couldn't be bothered as I knew I'd be getting the correct part and it was convenient!

See how the old one comes out so you know how to put the new one in. Mine went in with no trouble at all.
If I could do $40 form the dealer I would be all over that. I was going to go at lunch and I called the dealer near my work here (Laurel VW in Maryland) and the fricking parts guy quoted me almost $150 just for the glass w/out auto dim and $350 with it!

Another big question-- WHAT is all the greenish liquid that came out all over my truck from behind the mirror?! :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I could do $40 form the dealer I would be all over that. I was going to go at lunch and I called the dealer near my work here (Laurel VW in Maryland) and the fricking parts guy quoted me almost $150 just for the glass w/out auto dim and $350 with it!

Another big question-- WHAT is all the greenish liquid that came out all over my truck from behind the mirror?! :confused:
Awesome... so I was reading and apparently this "green" fluid is for the auto dimming feature. Sooo... guess the mirror had that. I'll be doing the standard mirror. No way I'm paying that much for auto dimming glass. Crap.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Well if you got used the auto dimming you are gonna miss it once you get your replacement without it. 1st VW Parts is where I got mine for my 04 when I broke mine. Was under $300 from them, but was still expensive.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I've posted on the other TregMD thread.

The green stuff is nasty from the looks of things. Paintwork may be damaged.

For anyone else, don't break the mirror!

Or if it starts to leak remove the mirror VERY carefully and IMMEDIATELY!

From what I've read, the liquid may be corrosive so be careful how you do it and where you place the mirror afterwards.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
LOtouareg gave you the link to the long time member Spockcat, who sells various mods for our Touaregs. He sells a european aspheric mirror for about $175 a pair or $100 each. Take a look.........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOtouareg gave you the link to the long time member Spockcat, who sells various mods for our Touaregs. He sells a european aspheric mirror for about $175 a pair or $100 each. Take a look.........

I just ordered it from him. Hoping it gets here quick. Thanks

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
725 Posts
I have a auto dim mirror in Ellicott city you can have for $100. Or the euro pair for $100.
Art
410-984-1001

·
Registered
370 Posts
Never really understood auto dimming, so I just replaced mine with a mirror without it. It was around 75 bucks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts