Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW have made it easy to update maps in the Touareg now, all free of course. Good work VW!
Just download(from VW) and extract zipped folders to the SD card and let the system suck in the updated files...takes about an hour.
Now have ver 2021.3 which apparently is the latest.
Leave the ignition on and hook up a charger as per the instructions...will see over the next few days what changes, updates have been made...

Font Gadget Screenshot Display device Electronic device

Gadget Vehicle Communication Device Font Media player

Automotive design Vehicle Gadget Personal luxury car Output device

Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Multimedia

·
Registered
2019 CR launch edition. Factory towbar
216 Posts
Don’t think you need to put a charger on. I have done it a few times without. Would be easier to start the motor if worried

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t think you need to put a charger on. I have done it a few times without. Would be easier to start the motor if worried
Updates can go for upto 4hrs, so hooking up a charger over running the engine for a noise, pollution free update sounds appealing, but each to their own... But I would advise against updating any gadget without connecting it to power

Reactions: Imor2624

·
Registered
146 Posts
Updates can go for upto 4hrs, so hooking up a charger over running the engine for a noise, pollution free update sounds appealing, but each to their own... But I would advise against updating any gadget without connecting it to power
That’s your OCD kicking in. I too have done it several times with no issue.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This does not appear to be applicable to USA 2011 Touareg.
Correct, only for CR model, for 7P you are at the behest of VW/dealer.
Although there appears to be some reference to a DIY if you search..

Reactions: duckdive

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although there appears to be some reference to a DIY if you search..
Can you please show us where to search? I would be interested to try upgrading my 7P with Australia version maps but I can't find anywhere other than "go see the dealer". And even then results are not exactly clear. Some say the expensive "dealer update" is the same as they had before.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you please show us where to search? I would be interested to try upgrading my 7P with Australia version maps but I can't find anywhere other than "go see the dealer". And even then results are not exactly clear. Some say the expensive "dealer update" is the same as they had before.
Sorry @BillsV6 that diy for 7p is not for Australia but NAR and Europe I believe.
Your option would be take out a mortgage and head to a dealer or stick your phone to the dash and poke Siri or Google to deliver you that experience or lastly install naviplus or joyeauto to integrate Carplay or AA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry @BillsV6 that diy for 7p is not for Australia but NAR and Europe I believe.
Your option would be take out a mortgage and head to a dealer or stick your phone to the dash and poke Siri or Google to deliver you that experience or lastly install naviplus or joyeauto to integrate Carplay or AA.
OK. I thought as much. I don't like the idea of crap and cables hanging off my dash - that's why it is all integrated these days - but I would like current maps. I am seriously looking at NaviPlus at this stage.
I just can't understand why it is so difficult to upgrade a set of maps. VW is so innovative - you would think a job like this would be a breeze. VW does not make maps. They just get current map data and convert it to whatever format 7Ps need. If I knew the process I would have a go - but where to find the information?

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I thought as much. I don't like the idea of crap and cables hanging off my dash - that's why it is all integrated these days - but I would like current maps. I am seriously looking at NaviPlus at this stage.
I just can't understand why it is so difficult to upgrade a set of maps. VW is so innovative - you would think a job like this would be a breeze. VW does not make maps. They just get current map data and convert it to whatever format 7Ps need. If I knew the process I would have a go - but where to find the information?
I hear you, so have VW, hence they changed the map update process to make it so simple in the CR.
However with 7P the update is based on dealer, VW code to be used so DIY is almost impossible/ complicated, and unlike other regions no one has cracked that.
Naviplus or joyeauto is the next best thing but not without issues.
Call your local dealer and see what they say

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the CR have an RNS 850 system or is it altogether different? I haven't been inside one yet.
Different, new platform mib plus...
Of course, same as Audi A8 etc...
With it comes the new world of software as a program enabled by codes that VW and Audi control....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got into the "green mode" to adjust the Mic Gain. Looks like a linux kernel or something. I'm surprised someone hasn't written some tweaks for it.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got into the "green mode" to adjust the Mic Gain. Looks like a linux kernel or something. I'm surprised someone hasn't written some tweaks for it.
It's a dangerous world that, venture too far with half the knowledge and you could be punished by having a paralysed unit.
I sense VW gaining control over the tweaks customers have been enjoying with vcds and obd eleven etc. We won't be able to do much with these tools given swap and fec introduction... Unless someone is smart enough to surpass those controls

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking back at software history, if someone with advanced programming knowledge was really determined, they would find a way. It is probably not an area that top line "hackers" are interested in.

@duckdive Yep - it's only software. Someone with the right knowledge and incentive could do it.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Given my little experience and knowledge I remain apprehensive...and now in the CR you have a firewall that shuts down access to make changes to modules... Given that the gateway now is setup for remote access VW have taken precautions to manage security well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Remote access to a vehicle's electronics? Hmmmm - imagine if you bought a vehicle from a country and then your country had a "conflict" with said other country. They could then get the ****s and remotely disable every car on the road. Not a great idea IMHO.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quite common, most manufacturers have it .. track your vehicle, remote preparation, conditioning, remote parking, Audi, VW carnet services etc etc.
All behind security layers, firewalls, switches....
Touareg now has eSim and option to insert standard Sim.... These facilitate remote connectivity via an app to carnet, not available in Australia btw and other options

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack (GFG/6MT)
10 Posts
Remote access to a vehicle's electronics? Hmmmm - imagine if you bought a vehicle from a country and then your country had a "conflict" with said other country. They could then get the ****s and remotely disable every car on the road. Not a great idea IMHO.
Lol you’re hilarious

1 - 20 of 23 Posts