Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
145 Posts
I assume you must mean 2020 CR Elegance, otherwise it's a chalk and cheese comparison.

The things I would really hate to give up in my 21 R Line are the four wheel steering, active roll bars and air suspension. These are things I am highly aware of every time I drive the car. If the Elegance misses out on those and you can afford it, buy an R Line, simples. Yes it will hit the wallet up front but then you have years of an awesome drive to enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you must mean 2020 CR Elegance, otherwise it's a chalk and cheese comparison.

The things I would really hate to give up in my 21 R Line are the four wheel steering, active roll bars and air suspension. These are things I am highly aware of every time I drive the car. If the Elegance misses out on those and you can afford it, buy an R Line, simples. Yes it will hit the wallet up front but then you have years of an awesome drive to enjoy.
The Elegance has air suspension but not the four wheel steering or active suspension so I appreciate your feedback but could do with a few more opinions.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,420 Posts
The drive with active roll stabilisation and four wheel steering is awesome, love it, goes thru corners so well and in comfort.
Off-road roll bars disconnect for better traction.
Every other option like night vision, soft close doors, etc etc are worth having
If you can afford then don't think twice.

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
145 Posts
4 wheel steering also significantly reduces turning circle, IMO a worthwhile benefit in such a big car. For comparison
Touareg without 4WS 12.19m, with 4WS 11.19m
Golf 10.9m
LC300 11.8m
D-Max 12.5m

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve got a 2021 210kw Elegance and now done 25,000 km in it including 12,500 towing a van. Love the car. Reduced turning circle would be nice but car has air suspension as standard, handles brilliantly especially in sports mode, love head up display and had no problems when I drove on Fraser Island. I couldn’t justify the extra dollars for memory seat (I’m only driver) better stereo (partially deaf) heated second row seats (rarely have someone in rear seats) In my option the Elegence spec has all the tech and is great value for money.

·
Learner
6,420 Posts
I’ve got a 2021 210kw Elegance and now done 25,000 km in it including 12,500 towing a van. Love the car. Reduced turning circle would be nice but car has air suspension as standard, handles brilliantly especially in sports mode, love head up display and had no problems when I drove on Fraser Island. I couldn’t justify the extra dollars for memory seat (I’m only driver) better stereo (partially deaf) heated second row seats (rarely have someone in rear seats) In my option the Elegence spec has all the tech and is great value for money.
How was your experience on Fraser with the CR?
How far did you go up north @Mike42

Reactions: Robk60

·
Registered
10 Posts
We went up to the wreck and inland to Lake Wobby. It was just a day trip as we left our van at Rainbow Beach. When going into Wabby it was messy near the beach and I saw a Prado bogged there on the way up but I just put my foot down and it went through easily. I was concerned that they don’t give many options in off-road mode, just off-road and expert (whatever that means) but traction control worked fine. When I went into off-road mode it automatically raised to first height in air suspension which minimises drag in the sand.
I want to do Simpson desert next (I’ve done it both ways in other vehicles) so looking for at least one other vehicle to come with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We went up to the wreck and inland to Lake Wobby. It was just a day trip as we left our van at Rainbow Beach. When going into Wabby it was messy near the beach and I saw a Prado bogged there on the way up but I just put my foot down and it went through easily. I was concerned that they don’t give many options in off-road mode, just off-road and expert (whatever that means) but traction control worked fine. When I went into off-road mode it automatically raised to first height in air suspension which minimises drag in the sand.
I want to do Simpson desert next (I’ve done it both ways in other vehicles) so looking for at least one other vehicle to come with me.
Mike, what tyres did you have that day?

I would expect the CR with air would have no issues at all up to Champagne pools. The deep ruts up to Orchid Beach could be an issue (but I've seen Foresters do it). Ditto Inskip point onto the ferry but that seems to be an issue for a lot of folk regardless of the vehicle.

Simpson sounds good! Keep me posted on that....could be tempted.

·
Learner
6,420 Posts
Lucky! Next time go into expert mode and switch off hill descent and traction control...this is sand mode which otherwise you get as a shortcut in the adventure model.
You don't want traction control and hill descent to be on when doing sand.
So far my experience on sand has been good.
I have done Simpson in the Touareg(V10 7L), from west to east and see no problem in CR doing the same.
I would be happy to join next year if you would welcome fellow club Touareg folks:)

Reactions: evaddirb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mike, what tyres did you have that day?

I would expect the CR with air would have no issues at all up to Champagne pools. The deep ruts up to Orchid Beach could be an issue (but I've seen Foresters do it). Ditto Inskip point onto the ferry but that seems to be an issue for a lot of folk regardless of the vehicle.

Simpson sounds good! Keep me posted on that....could be tempted.
I had Pirelli ATR+ 265x50x20 fitted by dealer. I wanted something more off road capable than the oem road tyres but quiet on bitumen and very happy with them so far.
I’ll post something on forum when I establish timing. I’m pretty flexible as I’m retired so April May most likely depending on how much rain it gets over summer from monsoons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lucky! Next time go into expert mode and switch off hill descent and traction control...this is sand mode which otherwise you get as a shortcut in the adventure model.
You don't want traction control and hill descent to be on when doing sand.
So far my experience on sand has been good.
I have done Simpson in the Touareg(V10 7L), from west to east and see no problem in CR doing the same.
I would be happy to join next year if you would welcome fellow club Touareg folks:)
I had assumed (wrongly apparently) that when in off road mode it would turn all that stuff off. I never experienced any power reduction or warning lights when driving in the soft stuff.
I’ll post on the forum when I decide on Simpson dates, probably April May.

·
Learner
6,420 Posts
I had Pirelli ATR+ 265x50x20 fitted by dealer. I wanted something more off road capable than the oem road tyres but quiet on bitumen and very happy with them so far.
I’ll post something on forum when I establish timing. I’m pretty flexible as I’m retired so April May most likely depending on how much rain it gets over summer from monsoons.
Pirelli at+ is a great choice!
I decided to with a set for more off-road and puncture resistant...

·
Learner
6,420 Posts
Sacrifice between off road and on road...noise vs grip vs durability...on road vs off road requirements being different

Proper off-road tyres make all the difference, but ofcourse what type and how much off-road one does ...
For outback off-road travels where there's no soul and help for thousands of KMs it's best to have as much protection
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Cloud Sky Car Vehicle Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Ecoregion Sky Cloud

Cloud Sky Tire Vehicle Plant

Attachments

Reactions: Jaded62 and Steve_L
1 - 16 of 16 Posts