Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
114 Posts
That’s a good point however I’m not sure how I could be nothing but legal if I keep the tow ball weight under 280kg and the van under 3.5t.
Every single limit from GVM, max rear axle weight, max ball weight and max trailer ATM has to be considered, and just staying under 3.5t and the max ball weight is too simplistic because it doesn't consider the other loads on the car.

What you are carrying in/on the car could easily push you over the car GVM and as mentioned by rgh0 the rear axle weight limit. The vehicle payload is the difference between tare weight and GVM, and includes options and accessories such as sunroof, the towbar itself and roofracks, plus fuel, plus driver & passengers, plus luggage spares, tools etc and then the tow ball mass of the van. The CR 210 Rline with 2850kg GVM and 2169kg tare has nominally 681kg to play with. Say 150kg of people, 80kg of fuel, 230kg trailer ball mass (max for the CR 210 with air suspension), 20kg towbar leaves only 200kg for everything else in/on the car. Got a sunroof, sorry that weighs 100kg and is not in the basic tare, so that's only 100kg left available. For your car the numbers will be different but the principle the same. But even if you are travelling light and stay under the GVM limit, 280 kg on the ball translates to near 400kg on the rear axle, so that weight limit could come into play, and unfortunately guessing or hoping won't cut it if you get weighed on the road.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Every single limit from GVM, max rear axle weight, max ball weight and max trailer ATM has to be considered, and just staying under 3.5t and the max ball weight is too simplistic because it doesn't consider the other loads on the car.

What you are carrying in/on the car could easily push you over the car GVM and as mentioned by rgh0 the rear axle weight limit. The vehicle payload is the difference between tare weight and GVM, and includes options and accessories such as sunroof, the towbar itself and roofracks, plus fuel, plus driver & passengers, plus luggage spares, tools etc and then the tow ball mass of the van. The CR 210 Rline with 2850kg GVM and 2169kg tare has nominally 681kg to play with. Say 150kg of people, 80kg of fuel, 230kg trailer ball mass (max for the CR 210 with air suspension), 20kg towbar leaves only 200kg for everything else in/on the car. Got a sunroof, sorry that weighs 100kg and is not in the basic tare, so that's only 100kg left available. For your car the numbers will be different but the principle the same. But even if you are travelling light and stay under the GVM limit, 280 kg on the ball translates to near 400kg on the rear axle, so that weight limit could come into play, and unfortunately guessing or hoping won't cut it if you get weighed on the road.
That makes a lot of sense. We carry nothing in the car other than two people and when I can afford it a full tank of fuel.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,317 Posts
In my recent 15k around the country trip I observed most pulling a caravan were doing something wrong and they were like yoyos on the road! Only about 10 percent seem to in control of the van and going in a straight line. And here we are splitting hair with rear axle weights in pursuit of perfection.
The main issue contributing to accidents from what I gather is when folks fail to distribute load in the caravan properly and going too fast....but for sure everyone is an expert on this topic around the country :)
Keep it safe

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hand wash 5 times, book it in for a full prof detail and then hand wash and clean 5 times again 😃👍
Wash and repeat seems to be the only solution. Still getting a nice orange glow on the driveway after each wash with mine...6 months after our Kimberley capers. Same after the Tip run.

I'm heading to Birdsville from Melbourne in a couple of weeks, so I've pretty much given up hope now 😆😆😆

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my recent 15k around the country trip I observed most pulling a caravan were doing something wrong and they were like yoyos on the road! Only about 10 percent seem to in control of the van and going in a straight line. And here we are splitting hair with rear axle weights in pursuit of perfection.
The main issue contributing to accidents from what I gather is when folks fail to distribute load in the caravan properly and going too fast....but for sure everyone is an expert on this topic around the country :)
Keep it safe
Agreed Singh. I see lots of talk about weight limits but seldom reflection on how loading impacts safety. I was helping a mate with this on the weekend. His 2.9 ATM tonne van (weighed at about 2.7t loaded) and virtually empty vehicle are well within the statutory requirements when on the weighbridge. The concern is his ball weight - at about 120kgs makes the van totally unstable. I'm not sure how he's survived 2 trips from Melbourne to Northern NSW...😳😳. Because of the van design with both water tanks at the extreme rear 🤔😬, reloading it we could only get to about 170kgs on the ball. He's gonna drag around 2 bags of firewood on his a frame to get some stability.

For a great video demonstration...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Keep it safe
I totally agree with the poorly loaded and towed caravans. I was just trying to help someone prevent being fined. :)

I also wonder, what happens to a Touareg's air suspension if it is overloaded? Does the overweight damage the air suspension or is there enough over engineering so that the air doesn't bode out somewhere? 🤔

Reactions: Drewza and Singh

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Agreed Singh. I see lots of talk about weight limits but seldom reflection on how loading impacts safety. I was helping a mate with this on the weekend. His 2.9 ATM tonne van (weighed at about 2.7t loaded) and virtually empty vehicle are well within the statutory requirements when on the weighbridge. The concern is his ball weight - at about 120kgs makes the van totally unstable. I'm not sure how he's survived 2 trips from Melbourne to Northern NSW...😳😳. Because of the van design with both water tanks at the extreme rear 🤔😬, reloading it we could only get to about 170kgs on the ball. He's gonna drag around 2 bags of firewood on his a frame to get some stability.

For a great video demonstration...
Makes me wonder, why aren't there more caravans designed with twin axles that sit further apart like truck trailers...cost?
I towed a Bruder around and it was a breeze, twin axles appear to be advantageous...

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
I totally agree with the poorly loaded and towed caravans. I was just trying to help someone prevent being fined. :)

I also wonder, what happens to a Touareg's air suspension if it is overloaded? Does the overweight damage the air suspension or is there enough over engineering so that the air doesn't bode out somewhere? 🤔
I would think so, but of course everything has a limit.
Why do we have rear axle weight limit...apart from axle, suspension etc. failure limits the first consideration is as weight goes up on the rear the front becomes lighter, as such steering and braking could be reduced.... You see Toyota front ends aiming for the sky with the van on the back...with the Touareg, coupled with air suspension and 4 wheel steering the dynamics are different...

Reactions: Matt fly’s

·
Registered
254 Posts
I figured that was you're intent Deli, just making the point for others who may be reading it's not only about the numbers😉
Yes. I've towed boat and box trailers since I first got my licence. There are things that one learns with the 'tail wagging the dog'. I extend that experience to towing a caravan and it seems to work.

I wonder with all these extra caravans on the Australian roads due to COVID-19 and all the accidents that seem to be happening, if there's going to be the need for a licence to tow things that are heavier than say 680 kg (as per the Treg without brakes) or some similar weight?

My wife and I are actually doing a towing course on Saturday. Hopefully I'll learn more but it's mainly about her learning a LOT more. :rolleyes:

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Yes. I've towed boat and box trailers since I first got my licence. There are things that one learns with the 'tail wagging the dog'. I extend that experience to towing a caravan and it seems to work.

I wonder with all these extra caravans on the Australian roads due to COVID-19 and all the accidents that seem to be happening, if there's going to be the need for a licence to tow things that are heavier than say 680 kg (as per the Treg without brakes) or some similar weight?

My wife and I are actually doing a towing course on Saturday. Hopefully I'll learn more but it's mainly about her learning a LOT more. :rolleyes:
Yep, every reason to have a licence for just about everything, for this is Australia. If we can regulate, we shall, slap a licence and another xx cost to ownership and red tape.
Endless debates on whether regulating speed helps reduce accidents, etc. There was a good article recently, is regulation making people dumber 😆 and also, are human beings getting dumber... Oh well, in the interest of safety...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep, every reason to have a licence for just about everything, for this is Australia. If we can regulate, we shall, slap a licence and another xx cost to ownership and red tape.
Endless debates on whether regulating speed helps reduce accidents, etc. There was a good article recently, is regulation making people dumber 😆 and also, are human beings getting dumber... Oh well, in the interest of safety...
I thought it would be something like my licence allows me to ride a motorcycle and drive a car. It doesn't cost me anymore money except for originally going for both tests.

I agree that people are getting dumber. They see rubbish on social media and just copy it without thinking. There was a case of a woman saw on tick-tock, or something like that, that one could put water in the fuel tank to get just a few more kilometres driving if one runs out of fuel. A policeman noticed that she was pouring litres of water into the tank. She didn't go anywhere with that other than expensive repairs.

• Wow
Reactions: Singh

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
LOL!!

As Jeremy Clarkson once said, 'Speed is not the problem,it's the sudden stop that's the bummer!"
I am up for Clarkson's farm and ideology 😎

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Question- if I’m leaving the van hitched to my car over night (with the jockey wheel down and van legs down) should I use the “Jack mode”?
Not sure what the Jack mode does and want to make sure I don’t stuff up the air suspension.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We often leave the van connected to the car for overnight stops. It saves hitching and unhitching. We do NOT put down the jockey wheel nor the van legs. There is no need for those because the connection to the car prevents the van from tipping. We do use ramps to level the caravan from side to side and the car's air suspension to level the van front to back.

Having said that I don't know the answer your question. 🤔

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
720 Posts
Question- if I’m leaving the van hitched to my car over night (with the jockey wheel down and van legs down) should I use the “Jack mode”?
Not sure what the Jack mode does and want to make sure I don’t stuff up the air suspension.
"Jack mode" locks the air suspension. i.e. Self leveling stops happening
Would do no harm to switch it on

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
As long as you don't leave the touareg in N and trust the park brake to hold stance you should be fine either way

41 - 60 of 76 Posts