Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello thought as we sit in one of few rainy days during our trip here in Exmouth I’d share my experiences over the last 5 months towing our van which is 3.4t and 3.2m high.
2020 CR Premium with sound and innovation packs. 255/55R19 Cooper Discover ATT 95% of our travels has been on the black stuff and some off-road, through water .5m crossings.
Issues, other than both number plates almost being lost there has been nothing go wrong. Unfortunately the last 2,000km we have had 3 days in a row where we were hit with rocks from on coming trucks and our widescreen has several long cracks all changing length and direction each day. This brings me to our biggest gripe and that is one of service locations as the only options we have is Darwin or Perth. This also has caused somewhat of an issue with getting the car serviced (I have a service plan) as we can’t get to anywhere within our scheduled km allocations. Let’s hope going 3,000km over won’t effect our warranty. (I do mid service/every 7,500km oil and oil filter changes so I’m not worried about the car just my warranty).
The car drives well, quiet, comfortable and with plenty of power and with an amazing fuel consumption of 15.2L per 100km which is about 7L better than our Toyota L C friends.
One observation I have noticed doing many hours sitting around 95km/h is the correlation between oil temp/rpm/fuel economy. If I leave the car in Auto economy sits around 16.5L and oil temp (OT) around 127c however when I shift it into manual (gear knob to the left) we obtain the following;
6th 1800rpm 119c OT and 16L/100km
7th 1500rpm 122c OT and 15L/100km
8th 1200rpm 128c OT and 17L/100km
I had assumed that the lower the rpm the lower the oil temp and the least amount of fuel used however this is not the case. So I find sitting on 7th flat, 6th going up and 8th downhill the best to manage manually as is automatic it will do all this too often in and inconsistent manner (needs a towing mode for ATM which the CR Premium doesn’t have).
So when we get to Perth I’ll be getting a new VW windscreen if I win my argument with AAMI and getting my car serviced. Can any locals recommend a good dealer??
Cheers and hope you have liked the review.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Car
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant community

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car
Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Car

Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant community

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you are expecting vw service in Perth you better book early, service wait times are not good. Also parts supply (windscreen) may not be in stock locally. Definitely not as easy as I imagine the east coast might be.
I have used Southside VW in Cannington, for the most part they are commercial VW dealer but I have had satisfactory service.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
@evaddirb has had good experiences with Osborne Park VW.
Whatever you do, stay away from Wangara VW (Northern suburbs).
Does your insurance provide "a free glass claim each year"? That may well be worth investigating.
Matt...what dates are you looking at being in Perth (arrival/duration). I have something in mind ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@evaddirb has had good experiences with Osborne Park VW.
Whatever you do, stay away from Wangara VW (Northern suburbs).
Does your insurance provide "a free glass claim each year"? That may well be worth investigating.
Matt...what dates are you looking at being in Perth (arrival/duration). I have something in mind ;)
Hey thanks for that. Yep it’s provided under our insurance so let’s hope they allow for original and not after market.
should in Perth around July. What u thinking??

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Hey thanks for that. Yep it’s provided under our insurance so let’s hope they allow for original and not after market.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Matt you may have to be specific that you want OEM supply, but they should do it.
It is important to be sure that camera's, auto wipe and other fancy stuff operated through the sensors on the glass work post repair.
A friend recently had his Pajero window smashed first week after purchase, default was 3rd party supply, but he pushed them to accept OEM and got it.

·
Registered
2019 CR launch edition. Factory towbar
263 Posts
I had my CR windscreen replaced with a generic screen at a glass centre as directed by the insurance company. They could not and never would be able to calibrate all the electronics. The insurance company agreed to have the screen removed and replaced by a genuine one at Osborne Park VW. They did a good job and it took a long time to complete calibration. 2 visits. They said that the glass place would never have been able to complete the job. Good luck. Suggest you contact Ryan at Osborne Park. He is very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Ryan is the Service Manager at OPVW

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,215 Posts
Looks like a great trip! Hope you have that windscreen replaced and acc calibrated soon.

Could be you we ran into 😉
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Car

Cloud Sky Plant Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had my CR windscreen replaced with a generic screen at a glass centre as directed by the insurance company. They could not and never would be able to calibrate all the electronics. The insurance company agreed to have the screen removed and replaced by a genuine one at Osborne Park VW. They did a good job and it took a long time to complete calibration. 2 visits. They said that the glass place would never have been able to complete the job. Good luck. Suggest you contact Ryan at Osborne Park. He is very helpful.
Thank you so much. Who was your insurance company. Please don’t say AAMI

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello thought as we sit in one of few rainy days during our trip here in Exmouth I’d share my experiences over the last 5 months towing our van which is 3.4t and 3.2m high.
2020 CR Premium with sound and innovation packs. 255/55R19 Cooper Discover ATT 95% of our travels has been on the black stuff and some off-road, through water .5m crossings.
Issues, other than both number plates almost being lost there has been nothing go wrong. Unfortunately the last 2,000km we have had 3 days in a row where we were hit with rocks from on coming trucks and our widescreen has several long cracks all changing length and direction each day. This brings me to our biggest gripe and that is one of service locations as the only options we have is Darwin or Perth. This also has caused somewhat of an issue with getting the car serviced (I have a service plan) as we can’t get to anywhere within our scheduled km allocations. Let’s hope going 3,000km over won’t effect our warranty. (I do mid service/every 7,500km oil and oil filter changes so I’m not worried about the car just my warranty).
The car drives well, quiet, comfortable and with plenty of power and with an amazing fuel consumption of 15.2L per 100km which is about 7L better than our Toyota L C friends.
One observation I have noticed doing many hours sitting around 95km/h is the correlation between oil temp/rpm/fuel economy. If I leave the car in Auto economy sits around 16.5L and oil temp (OT) around 127c however when I shift it into manual (gear knob to the left) we obtain the following;
I had assumed that the lower the rpm the lower the oil temp and the least amount of fuel used however this is not the case. So I find sitting on 7th flat, 6th going up and 8th downhill the best to manage manually as is automatic it will do all this too often in and inconsistent manner (needs a towing mode for ATM which the CR Premium doesn’t have).
So when we get to Perth I’ll be getting a new VW windscreen if I win my argument with AAMI and getting my car serviced. Can any locals recommend a good dealer??
View attachment 251165 View attachment 251164
View attachment 251166 View attachment 251166 View attachment 251167 View attachment 251167

View attachment 251167 View attachment 251165
View attachment 251164
Loved towing a similar van with my Treg, but could never get the weights legal. Wondering what your towball weight is?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
View attachment 251166 View attachment 251166 View attachment 251167 View attachment 251167

View attachment 251164
Nice outfit mate.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good luck with that...

AAMI use O'Brien's who have done 2 screens for me now (Bayswater, Melbourne) and happy with their service and outcome. Getting one a year means the slightly lower quality of non genuine is not such an issue imo. Apparently they use the VIN to sort out any recalibration if needed (mine doesn't)

You could always get a log book service done at a reputable mechanic (I used Repco in Katherine), but I'm sure there's others. You'll have to fork out, but cheaper than risking a warranty, and good to put some money in outback communities. Just make sure they use the right sump plug washer 😉

Enjoy Exmouth. Take a drive up Shothole Canyon if you haven't already (and the water's not too deep). Totally different landscape to what lies beyond.

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 251164
Where did your wheels come from or are they vw .I have been trying to get a set of 19 rims .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts