Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm ordering winter tires for my TDI. According to my calculations, a 235/60/18 Nokian R2 SUV is an appropriate replacement for the 255/55/18 stock summer size.

The other potential size is a 235/65/18. I'm leaning toward the 60 series tire as it's an exact match (diameter) for the stock 255/55/18.

Is there a good reason to go with the taller tire? Handling won't be quite as good...

This is for snow tire use only, I have 275/45/19 Conti DWS for three season use.

New England location...we do get some snow here... :)

Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone, Buehler, anyone?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My winter tires are near an exact match to OEM size / diameter and my "rest of the year" tires are max diameter off road beasts.

I would buy my winter tires again in near exact OEM size because in a pinch I could probably put chains on all four...larger diameter and I couldn't, at least in the front.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This ^^^^^^^
I run 235/65-17 winters on VW 17" canyon rims, specifically because they are one of the three sizes which VW actually specify in the manual, as suitable for use with chains, on the Touareg. When chaining up, I use Diamondback 2500Q series (5,5mm) square light truck chains on all four corners. Not as good as mattracks, but close!

Reactions: lml999

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
I run a 245/70/17 all year round and it really does not handle that bad at all with that tall of a tire. I also have air suspension though as well. so I can lower it and stiffen it up some too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Ha! In 5 hours time I'm getting a new set of Nokian winters fitted too - 185/60/15

[On the wife's pocket rocket!]

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You just cannot beat Hakka's!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
We live in Rochester, NY and have 235/65/17 on 17" OEM rim for winter package on the 2011 Treg VR6 Lux, Handling is not a problem but the drive in snow/slush is awesome!

If the overall diameter of 18" tire is close to OEM combo and width of 18" rim is what the 18" tire is recommended to use I don't see any reason for concern.

Reactions: lml999

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have Cooper Winters in an 18 inch size on Manhatten wheels from my older Touareg. They take the place of my 20" summers on my 2010. When we have snow, and we usually have a lot, they work just fine. I am sure the tire helps but the ability of the Touareg is a prime factor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts