Discussion Starter #1
275/65r18
32.2 inch
18inch 42 offset rims
no spacer needed for ball joint clearance
intercoolers needed about 1.25 inch move forward
slight heat gun molding of liners
They are really quiet on the highway when you blow them up to like 50 plus psi

These tires would probably fit on all non v10s with no modification.

[ame]https://vimeo.com/186201858[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moving the intercooler forward

Intercooler moved forward modification, Wheel well liner modification.

The first thing you an do is loosen the there bolts holding the intercooler in place (two on top and one on the bottom. There are metal washers that can be removed from each of these bolts to make the intercooler go about 3 or 4 millimeters forward with no additional modification. The car can then be driven in off road mode without hitting the intercooler if you don't put the fender liner back on. To put everything back in place as usual the little square plastic bottom mount must be removed with a dremel. It is made out of plastic and cuts/grinds away fairly easily to expose the flat surface that is flush with the intercooler. After drilling a hole in the proper spot, the original screw and nut can be used to fasten the intercooler to the same mounting point allowing it to sit about an inch farther forward. In one of the pictures you can see the square that was removed (in my hand) and the new flat surface that was created.

The first pic shows the little square that needs to be removed.

The second picture (right intercooler) shows the square roughly cut out before grinding out the remaining bits to make the surface of the intercooler plastic housing flat. Also, a small 90 degree angle needs to be cut above the plastic mounting point to allow for the bottom corner of the intercooler (the actual metal) to sit in that nook. this is right above the mounting hole in the picture. It is all plastic so it cuts out pretty easily with a dremel with a plastic cutting disc. Something like a rotozip would be overkill and hard to get precise with.

The third picture shows everything ready to drill the new hole below the intercooler. Pull the intercooler forward to see where it will match up with the mount hole before drilling. Then you slide the nut (which must be taken from the other plastic that was removed) up behind it and screw it in.

The fourth picture shows the finished product, aside from putting that one hose back too which needed to be taped aside during the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
45 milimeter spacers

Im not sure if this mod is even relevant any more but putting these same tires on any newer Touareg without the intercoolers should work fine without any modification due to the more spacious wheel well liners.

Pic 1: I bought 45 milimeter spacers which I thought might work with these tires. But the tires did not clear the frame of the car in the back, and also would not clear the fender liner and maybe not the intercooler.

The tread width of these tires is slightly less than similar size but different brand tires so no spacer was need to clear the ball joint in the first place. This is much better because you have no decrease of turning radius and also less intrusion on the wheel well liner.

Pic 3: The 45mm spacers worked great with my 275/45r19 however. The tires just barely kissed the fender with those installed with no need for modification.

As far as the 275/65r18 STT Pros, After heating and pushing forward the liners a little bit, I can drive in comfort mode on the low suspension setting with no rubbing. It rubs if I put it in sport and low and turn all the way over, but for highway driving going low and sport is fine. The car can be put in loading mode just fine as well when parking.

The last 3 pics are extra mode with the street tires and 45mm spacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
canyons are the OEM 5 star 17" wheels which were common on the T1s. if i'm going with an offroad tire next, i'd rather it be a 17" than the current 19".

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Nice work Sailboat, Interesting you went with a 19" tyre and rim. I run Cooper STT's on 17" rims which clear the intercoolers and don't rub without needing to do any modifications or add spacers.

Stuart...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice work Sailboat, Interesting you went with a 19" tyre and rim. I run Cooper STT's on 17" rims which clear the intercoolers and don't rub without needing to do any modifications or add spacers.

Stuart...
I went looking for the Cooper tyres ( actually any off road tyre) to fit 19" rims, as the rims I had were badly scratched by previous owner and I thought they would be good for off road use, but was told Cooper didn't make any tyres to fit 19", at least available in oz. And that came from the importer. I found it impossible to get any off road, and very limited even for normal road tyres on 19" so I now have 20" rims for the road and 18" for off ( 18 is the smallest to fit on a V10 )

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of an 18" STT, namely 275/65R18, which I simply thought would have been less stress, than moving inter-coolers, and adding lift kits/spacers.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/stt-pro/

Stuart...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
loading mode

I was thinking more along the lines of an 18" STT, namely 275/65R18, which I simply thought would have been less stress, than moving inter-coolers, and adding lift kits/spacers.

STT PRO - Cooper Tires

Stuart...
Yes that is what I did - the 18s with the cooper 275/65r18.

The 19 inch rims have the continental DWS 275/45r19

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts

Stuart...
Very nice this is the setup I want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Intercooler moved forward modification, Wheel well liner modification.

The first thing you an do is loosen the there bolts holding the intercooler in place (two on top and one on the bottom. There are metal washers that can be removed from each of these bolts to make the intercooler go about 3 or 4 millimeters forward with no additional modification. The car can then be driven in off road mode without hitting the intercooler if you don't put the fender liner back on. To put everything back in place as usual the little square plastic bottom mount must be removed with a dremel. It is made out of plastic and cuts/grinds away fairly easily to expose the flat surface that is flush with the intercooler. After drilling a hole in the proper spot, the original screw and nut can be used to fasten the intercooler to the same mounting point allowing it to sit about an inch farther forward. In one of the pictures you can see the square that was removed (in my hand) and the new flat surface that was created.

The first pic shows the little square that needs to be removed.

The second picture (right intercooler) shows the square roughly cut out before grinding out the remaining bits to make the surface of the intercooler plastic housing flat. Also, a small 90 degree angle needs to be cut above the plastic mounting point to allow for the bottom corner of the intercooler (the actual metal) to sit in that nook. this is right above the mounting hole in the picture. It is all plastic so it cuts out pretty easily with a dremel with a plastic cutting disc. Something like a rotozip would be overkill and hard to get precise with.

The third picture shows everything ready to drill the new hole below the intercooler. Pull the intercooler forward to see where it will match up with the mount hole before drilling. Then you slide the nut (which must be taken from the other plastic that was removed) up behind it and screw it in.

The fourth picture shows the finished product, aside from putting that one hose back too which needed to be taped aside during the process.
Thanks so much for the write up on this.
I've just done the mod to the intercoolers, but I'm having trouble getting the bottom four bolts on the bumper to line up. It looks like the foglights are contacting the intercoolers now.

Did you come across this problem? How did you solve it?

Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for the write up on this.
I've just done the mod to the intercoolers, but I'm having trouble getting the bottom four bolts on the bumper to line up. It looks like the foglights are contacting the intercoolers now.

Did you come across this problem? How did you solve it?

Thanks,
Paul.
My 4 bottom bolts barely line up enough to screw them in - they dont sit perfectly into the bumpers recess. This might be the foglight issue - i just lucked out and could still get the bolts in. There is a styrofoam piece that is a spacer between the bumper and the metal frame of the car right in the front middle. That also needs to be oriented properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts