Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20" OEM Goodyear treads are at 5/32 so I've starting the process of looking for replacements. After my initial research I had settled on Pirelli Verde Plus. We're happy with the first gen Verdes on our Q5, and the new model is said to be vastly improved in every way.

Sears had the Verde Plus at $199 each last week, but they're currently not available. However, they do have the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus for just $113 apiece, which is an astonishing price for 20" tires. These are good looking tires, and most of the reviews by full size truck owners are extremely positive. Unfortunately, I haven't found any reviews by Touareg owners.

After a recent appliance purchase I have $300 in Sears points I can apply to a tire purchase, so getting four quality tires OTD for less than $250 seems almost too good to pass up. But I won't run bad tires at any price - especially with the well-known wobble issues, so I'd love some feedback if anybody out there has tried them. I haven't purchased tires from Sears in 20 years, so any comments on Sears Auto is welcome, too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was wondering how these tires are also, two of my conti's are worn and the thought of getting four coopers for the price of 2 continental's is enticing

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
I have liked all my Cooper AT tires, I can't speak for these though. They should be a good tire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would go to Tire Rack and see if they have this tire tested and rated. If the ratings are ok, then take a shot. I bought some Verde Pluses a while ago and, at the time, they were the number 1 rated tire. After noting that on another thread, I was told a Michelin was #1 rated so I checked and, lo and behold, the Verde Plus had dropped to #2. Michelin was about $30 per tire more expensive, not a big difference and they tread was 3/32 less than the Verde Plus and the rating was 660 compared to the 740 or so for the Verde Pluses. So far I like the Verde Pluses, but have only put about 1,000 miles on them so not a true test. Maybe later this summer.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go to Tire Rack and see if they have this tire tested and rated. If the ratings are ok, then take a shot. I bought some Verde Pluses a while ago and, at the time, they were the number 1 rated tire. After noting that on another thread, I was told a Michelin was #1 rated so I checked and, lo and behold, the Verde Plus had dropped to #2. Michelin was about $30 per tire more expensive, not a big difference and they tread was 3/32 less than the Verde Plus and the rating was 660 compared to the 740 or so for the Verde Pluses. So far I like the Verde Pluses, but have only put about 1,000 miles on them so not a true test. Maybe later this summer.
Unfortunately Tire Rack doesn't carry Cooper.

Which Michelin model? TR only has two Michelin in the OE 20" fitment -- Latitude Tour HP and Latitude Sport, and neither are rated particularly good. Discount Tire carries the H/T Plus in just one size in a common Ram truck fitment. It's customer rated at 8.8/10. (For comparison, the Verde is at 9.2 and Verde Plus is at 9.4.) Unlike Tire Rack, Discount Tire will special order sizes not typically stocked. But if I'm going to Discount Tire, I'll go with the Pirellis. It's that $300 credit that has me considering Sears, and combined with the Cooper's unreal price it's very tempting.

Thanks for the feedback on the Verde Plus.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Cooper Tires

I have their Cooper winters and love them so now I am ordering the summers from Cooper. Can't bet that price.
Cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
HotRod, sorry about that, I didn't pay any attention to your size. The Michelin that I was looking at was the Premier LTX in the 18" range 109HXL and is very highly rated. Guy might call Tire Rack and see if they have any idea if they are getting any on them in in the 20" sizes. I know you won't get at good a price as the Coopers and I have no experience with Coopers so won't render an opinion. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HotRod, sorry about that, I didn't pay any attention to your size. The Michelin that I was looking at was the Premier LTX in the 18" range 109HXL and is very highly rated. Guy might call Tire Rack and see if they have any idea if they are getting any on them in in the 20" sizes. I know you won't get at good a price as the Coopers and I have no experience with Coopers so won't render an opinion. Good luck with your search.
No problem. I see Discount Tire does have the Premier LTX in the correct size, but there are no reviews.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have the cooper tires. Discoverer ht plus in 275/45/20. They r not bad but but not great. Little road noise but not bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So Columbus, in your honest opinion would you recommend the coopers for our truck? What makes them not so great? I'm looking for low noise comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah I like them. I would buy again for sure. They are nice and seem to last with tread wear. I just think ride comfort is 7.5/10 but I also think that's Bc they are 20". My 19" OEM I have Bridgestone blizzak for winter and they are super soft and quiet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A B S O L U T E L Y
A W E F U L

tires.

at least for my Touareg that is. I bought these while traversing the USA last year....in Colorado Springs....we were burned through the LS2'a and I really liked the 'squared' off look of these tires...but they were NEVER right. EVER. Always shaking at speed.......they were great at low speed around town but the wore really bad and finally after screaming at the tire national office, they sent me now Conti OEM tires, (did not like the LS2's much).....and the conti's hae been great. They have displayed NONE of the shimmy and shake that these things seem to amplify.
Your experience may vary, but mine was so bad I had to let you know

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A B S O L U T E L Y
A W E F U L

tires.

at least for my Touareg that is. I bought these while traversing the USA last year....in Colorado Springs....we were burned through the LS2'a and I really liked the 'squared' off look of these tires...but they were NEVER right. EVER. Always shaking at speed.......they were great at low speed around town but the wore really bad and finally after screaming at the tire national office, they sent me now Conti OEM tires, (did not like the LS2's much).....and the conti's hae been great. They have displayed NONE of the shimmy and shake that these things seem to amplify.
Your experience may vary, but mine was so bad I had to let you know
Funny you mention this as I have been back to the shop 3 times now because of a shake I'm getting from the tires. I'm going to call again and have them switch to another brand. I take my recommendation back. I thought something else was causing my shake until I went and put my winters back on and no shake at all. Hopefully I can get them swapped out also.

Reactions: serge90

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already ordered mine ... Four tires for $153 plus M&B. Of course it's only a deal if they don't suck. I'll have them on in a few weeks. I'll report back when I get some miles on them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hotrod did you get the coopers? I'm at the tire shop now getting my nokian zline suv's mounted and balanced. I too will report back

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not yet. Probably the end of the week. I was going to wait to mount them, but I've been logging some serious miles the last few weeks and the Goodyears are rumbling pretty good. If the Coopers don't vibrate, they'll have to be an improvement over what I have now.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Conti's stink any day! Pirelli is not a bad choice. I don't have 20" wheels but I did previously on my Cx-9 AWD. I used Pirelli Scorpion and they kicked ass and lasted for a long time with no issues. I use Michelin LTX M&S right now. Awesome tire, long lasting, great in snow, dirt, rocks and highway!!! Otherwise I will be moving to BF goodrich TA K02. (not available in 20) But the BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S I hear is a good tire. 20" is a hard size to find great tires for!

Michelin LTX

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
H/T's are mounted and everything feels great -- No vibrations at all. Steering feels a little sharper, but that's probably just because they're new. Otherwise I don't think I could distinguish from the feel of the OEM Goodyears when new. We'll see how they hold up.

I was concerned about using Sears installers, but they were fine. I watched them very carefully looking for something to complain about, but they gave me nothing. They even hand-torqued without me reminding them to do so. And with another $21 in points applied, M&B was less than $46. That brings the total out-the-door to just $200! You can tell Sears is in financial trouble ... they're practically giving sh!t away. It's still early, but at this point I'm glad the Pirellis were out of stock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice, glad they worked out for you. I've been on my 20" nokian z lines for a week, let me tell you they transformed this suv into a sports car!! 200% improvement over the conti's. Smooth as silk no noise and very responsive, I highly recommend them to anybody that has a second set for the winter or lives in a warm climate.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts