Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after some time with the AT3's I have to say they are not going to stay on much longer. They have started to cup and make tons of noise. I have made sure there was nothing else wrong of course. Checked suspension, alignment and so on. Everything is in tip top shape. The tire shop was never able to balance at least 1-2 wheels properly so I did have a slight vibration which was annoying.

I moved the fronts to rears and that solved that issues but of course I know they are vibrating on rear. Now, the tires are so loud that I am going to have to replace them. I can't stand it and I am sure it is sucking at the MPG. I am experiencing a whomp whomp sound at low speeds and and overall loud noise at highway. It is 100% the tires. Now before you say, these are A/T tires so they will make noise, I get it. But they were not noisy at all for the first few thousand miles and the tread on this tire is not super aggressive so it should not be making this much noise. I have pressures set at OEM Spec or slightly above since these are LT tires.

So, I am looking for new tires. General comes to mind. I am now running LT245/70/17 and will move to LT265/65/17, Although the 245/70 gives me a boost in height it also throws the car off with handling. It is not very stable with a 70 series tire and since I (most of us) spend more time on roads I'd prefer a better tire that is safer on the highway but can do the things off-road for that 10% time.

Looking at:

Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

General Grabber APT

Hankook Dynapro AT-M

Sumitomo Encounter AT's are intriguing and the cheapest, so not positive.

So, I am done with cooper at this point. The fact they are getting louder with very few miles on them, approx: 20K these are obviously not the tire I thought they were. I am sure it has something to do with the install and balance from the meat heads at the Big O tire in my podunk town.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after some time with the AT3's I have to say they are not going to stay on much longer. They have started to cup and make tons of noise. I have made sure there was nothing else wrong of course. Checked suspension, alignment and so on. Everything is in tip top shape. The tire shop was never able to balance at least 1-2 wheels properly so I did have a slight vibration which was annoying.

I moved the fronts to rears and that solved that issues but of course I know they are vibrating on rear. Now, the tires are so loud that I am going to have to replace them. I can't stand it and I am sure it is sucking at the MPG. I am experiencing a whomp whomp sound at low speeds and and overall loud noise at highway. It is 100% the tires. Now before you say, these are A/T tires so they will make noise, I get it. But they were not noisy at all for the first few thousand miles and the tread on this tire is not super aggressive so it should not be making this much noise. I have pressures set at OEM Spec or slightly above since these are LT tires.

So, I am looking for new tires. General comes to mind. I am now running LT245/70/17 and will move to LT265/65/17, Although the 245/70 gives me a boost in height it also throws the car off with handling. It is not very stable with a 70 series tire and since I (most of us) spend more time on roads I'd prefer a better tire that is safer on the highway but can do the things off-road for that 10% time.

Looking at:

Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

General Grabber APT

Hankook Dynapro AT-M

Sumitomo Encounter AT's are intriguing and the cheapest, so not positive.

So, I am done with cooper at this point. The fact they are getting louder with very few miles on them, approx: 20K these are obviously not the tire I thought they were. I am sure it has something to do with the install and balance from the meat heads at the Big O tire in my podunk town.
Found similar experiences here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/jumping-on-the-cooper-at3-bandwagon.155783/page-3

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Very disappointing to read your experience with the LT Cooper AT3 as I've just purchased a set in LT265/65R17, only done a couple of hundred kms with them so far and they seem very quiet and noise only becomes noticeable when running at over 110kph.

The tyre fitter initially set mine at 40psi which I thought was a little high so I dropped mine to 36 front and 38 rears, what tyre pressure do you run yours at?

I have a TPMS fitted so plan on adjusting pressures till I get no more than a 4-5 degree temperature increase when the tyres are at normal operating temperature.

Will make a follow up post on my thoughts as I get more mileage on the tyres and get a better understanding on their overall performance.

TonyB

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running factory spec for the TDI. I can't recall right now but will check in a few and report.

I have tried higher and lower pressures. Nothing helps and they are not able to balance them correctly. These tires are so noisy, low and high speed.

I think I am going to complain and have them sent back to cooper and get something else like Hankook Dynapro ATM, Falken Wildpeak or go back to Michelin Defender M+S which had 0 issues like this. I think Hankook will be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Yes I agree as I was happy with my Hankooks.

I had a set of LT245/70R17's which were replaced by the AT3's, they were my dedicated towing/offroad tyre and took a bit of abuse without any damage to the rubber but after some 40,000kms they were becoming noticeably louder, wear rate was very good also with only 4mm of wear and still looked new. Overall I was very happy with them.

The Coopers were not my first choice as I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of 265/60R18 Michelin ATX Force but found a set of 5 AT3's at a price that I just could not walk away from, I still have the set of 18 rims sitting on my shelf.
If I have any issues with the Coopers I will go back to plan "A".

TonyB

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
I ran the AT3's before going to my Hankooks. I had two sets of them only because they were cheap and never met tread wear warranty. They would always prorate the new set so never paid full price. I got the Hankook's because they had a special going on when I needed new tires. I like them so far, but have had no real experience off road with them yet. I run as you know the 245/70/17 on mine, but only because I wanted a narrower tire for snow. Taller was good for making the speedo dead on accurate now, but it slows down the odometer. Good side effect imo. :) I may have more miles on my car than what is indicated, but no on will know.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, My experience so far is they are terrible and it is a common issue what I am experiencing. I read all over that they have balance issues. I am taking them back this week. They are junk.

I am going to bitch to BigO next week and trade them out for Dynapro. Going with 265/65/17. 245/70/17 is tall and skinny, does not handle well either.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Well, My experience so far is they are terrible and it is a common issue what I am experiencing. I read all over that they have balance issues. I am taking them back this week. They are junk.

I am going to bitch to BigO next week and trade them out for Dynapro. Going with 265/65/17. 245/70/17 is tall and skinny, does not handle well either.
They handle fine for me, but I have air suspension too. I can't remember if you do or not.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. But it should not be a drastic difference from air to springs. It's fine. I am going with Dynapro ATM's in a 265/65/17 this time around since I am moving from Flagstaff asap. Not like we get snow here anymore anyway. I like the extra height bit the skinny tire looks funny. Like an orange on a toothpick.

I am at 30.6" with the 265/65/17, 245/70 @30.5

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am chalking this up to a bad balance issue, either by installer or the tire is just not able to be balanced. It's only 2 wheels that are showing the beginnings of cupping, moved the the rear and rears to front, I have no vibration or cupping on tires in front. But noise is still there. So I will hope cooper stands behind their 50K mile warranty. Let's see if they do.

Tire pressures: 39psi front and 47psi rear

I am still going for Dynapro's or maybe I might try these Sumitomo Ecounter AT's. Still debating...

I think I am either going with 265/65/17 or 255/65/17

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided on the Continental Terrain contact AT to replace the Cooper AT3. The LT Coopers not only are noisy but are hard and bouncy after 17K miles.

I have researched and read too many good things about these tires. Plus I can run stock Pressures on these.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
EDIT: 13K miles on tires.

Not a lot of miles to be making noise already.
My experience has been that AT tires just get noisy. I have had them on many different vehicles and many different brands. Nature of the beast imo. I can even hear my Hankooks and alignment is fine. Rotate every 3K and no weird wear. If you want quiet, regular road tires are the only way.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am ok with noise. As I pointed out in my first post, I understand AT tires make some noise. This is excessive noise, loud noise and an irregular noise. Not normal tread sound from AT tires. I am not wanting quite tires or street tires. There is a cupping issue with 2 of the tires I have on.

I have also read about Dynapro. Great tire but also makes lots of noise with some mileage on them. I am not interested in an AT tire that won't last and get's super noisy after a few thousand miles. Most of spend a lot of time on roads so a tire that does not make the cabin so noisy you can't hardly talk is not my idea of a good AT tire.

Like I said, I have decided on the Conti. Will do what I want on the road most of the time an off-road when I need it. Plus it's a pretty good looking tire, made in the US. 60 day trial over 30 day with the others too. Not that 60 days will tell me a ton but it should. Max psi is 51 so I can run factory PSI specs as well unlike others at 44 max unless I get LT which I won't again. 10 ply is a bit much. I will stick with a P tire.

Shop could never balance the 2 tires well and the other 2 are not perfect either. It's either the tire or their machine is has not been calibrated in awhile but I am sure it is the tires at this point otherwise the shop would be re-doing all their customers balance issues.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We bought some Scorpion Verde Plus tires for our Touareg a couple of years ago and they ride like a dream and we used them for the first winter this past year and they performed great. At this point they are showing almost no signs of wear and they are very smooth and quiet. When we bought them, they were the highest rated tires of that type on Tire Rack but a Goodyear has supplanted them now, as far as I know. Very, very satisfied with these tires.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are good tires for sure but not what I am looking for. I think the cooper AT3 are a good at tire but with further research I am not alone in this issue. Noisy after few miles and not able to balance. I am going with the Conti's.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the real funny part, the tire shop told me that the dealer recommends changing shocks at 100 miles on the touareg! I laughed and said that is so far from the truth it's hilarious! Man they will send anything to avoid paying for these tires they screwed up or that are screwed up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i just put my second set of bfg k02s....i looked and looked for a tire that looks good like bfgs...are snow rated and have FULL to the base of the tire sipes....just nothing out there and if you found one the bad reviews swayed me. I got 3 years out of my first set of bfgs and they still had decent tread....tires before lasted a year the way i drive, these e load rated bfgs hold up amazing..damn near a real full snow in the winter and look great and perform in my sand and mud needs all summer.

I almost went duratrac but most reviews say they wear out fast...personally have had that with other goodyear tires....but what bugged me the most is the half or less deep sipes...i want winter traction most of the tires life not just the first winter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those are good tires for sure but not what I am looking for. I think the cooper AT3 are a good at tire but with further research I am not alone in this issue. Noisy after few miles and not able to balance. I am going with the Conti's.
How are the Contis working out for you? I just put them on and am really happy so far. Smooth ride and very quiet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts