Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an ongoing issue with rain water leaking into the driver side footwell. The dealer has had it for weeks at a time at around four to five times, and has never been able to fix it. I found this new spot in my garage and I can't tell if it is coolant or rusty water. I can tell that coolant hoses are running on both sides of the engine but the overflow looks like it is on the passenger side. I am also pretty certain that the sunroof drain plug is above the wheels, so this would make sense to see a puddle here, however, a little disturbing that it is a rust color.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I need information before I head back to the dealership. The spot on the ground is under the driver side(left) fender/lower egine cover.

The water pump was replaced under warranty about 4 years ago and the coolant level is between min and max and looks more like a clear orange.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never added coolant and only dealerships have touched my car. Though I do feel like I am dealing with incompetence at the dealership and they are certainly capable of doing something this stupid. The coolant in the reservoir is orange and the spot does not have a smell, at least it does not smell like the coolant in the reservoir.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was the spot in front of the tire or behind the tire? If in front check the intercoolers and pipes for them. If behind pull the wheel well liner and check the drains and flush water at the base of the windshield and see what color comes out.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The sunroof drains running down the A-posts can become detached and water then appears in the front foot wells, dripping from the fascia - the fix is a modified sunroof frame which makes the drainage pipes more secure - just had mine done under warranty.

It's week's work so expensive if you're out of warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was the spot in front of the tire or behind the tire? If in front check the intercoolers and pipes for them. If behind pull the wheel well liner and check the drains and flush water at the base of the windshield and see what color comes out.
In front of the tire. I can't see any leaks from the top or bottom with some covers pulled. I pulled the front half of the wheel well and noticed that it was sticking to the body seems. It looks like an orage goop. I'll try the running water on the windsheild next.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sunroof drains running down the A-posts can become detached and water then appears in the front foot wells, dripping from the fascia - the fix is a modified sunroof frame which makes the drainage pipes more secure - just had mine done under warranty.

It's week's work so expensive if you're out of warranty.
I have aleady given them a couple of thousand and they had the car for over a month combined. Their conclusion was it was coming in from a body seam in the roof and used an epoxy to attempt to fix it. I wonder if this orange stuff is the epoxy. Their first try was to unclog the drain tubes, I assume they got that right. They also replaced the wind-deflector and foam trim of the sunroof.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have aleady given them a couple of thousand and they had the car for over a month combined. Their conclusion was it was coming in from a body seam in the roof and used an epoxy to attempt to fix it. I wonder if this orange stuff is the epoxy. Their first try was to unclog the drain tubes, I assume they got that right. They also replaced the wind-deflector and foam trim of the sunroof.
That sounds like a bodge fix to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Test the spot to see if it oil, coolant or water by feel and sniff.

For the sunroof the seal between the frame and the body could have leak which the dealer would want to replace the whole assembly for a large chunk of change, or you could try to have it sealed by an independent shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts