Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had a coolant leak under the UK driver's side/USA passenger side headlight?

Mine is steadily dripping.

Lost 1.5 litres in 40 mile drive. But lost nothing after topping up before the same drive today?

Literally dripping from under the headlamp. This picture is of the back of the intercooler cover that lead to the charge air to the turbo.

Nothing obvious from above and that corner of the radiator looks dry.

This hose looks wet. It is next to bank 1 of the engine just above the the egr flange on the exhaust manifold but it runs away from the direction of the headlight not towards it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have been parked ten minutes after moving the car on my lunch hour.

Suppose it is 50/50 between headlight and corner of radiator.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. The washer fluid is a similar colour to the coolant so will do a taste test in the morning.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Thank you. The washer fluid is a similar colour to the coolant so will do a taste test in the morning.
Not sure whether joking or not, but ethylene glycol, the main component of some antifreeze in coolants is highly poisonous. I also can't see how a taste test would be suitable to distinguish between washer fluid and coolant, because I presume they would both primarily taste like antifreeze.

Also transmission fluid has similar color, and the transmission cooler is right behind the bumper.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see the tranny lines into the junction for the cooler. The junction is rusted but dry.

Will put a cup under the drip to collect whichever fluidit is. The coolant is pink and the screenwash is purple. On the ground they both look the same in small quantities.

Will check the cup later and see which it is. Think TouaregNut is right with the spray nozzle in the bumper. Fingers crossed it is that and not a rad leak.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
iIRC the hose from the washer fluid reservoir is just a push fit over the headlight washer pump. When refitting the front bumper cover it is not that easy to push the hose on.

Reactions: VW_lover_2001

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks lgibson. I checked the coolant reservoir again yesterday and it hadn't dropped any from full marker.

I put a bowl down yesterday morning but the drip had stopped. But it definitely is seeming more like the headlight washer area. Especially now that it is also leaving an identical stain on the other side as of me leaving work late last night.

Which is weird as the bumper hasn't been touched in the 8 months I had her.

I've started another thread about the hydraulic mineral oil coming from the front sway bar.

Very weird that this has all started at the same time now that the alternator has been replaced.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the leak to the equally mysterious and new hydraulic fluid leak post.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks lgibson. I checked the coolant reservoir again yesterday and it hadn't dropped any from full marker.

I put a bowl down yesterday morning but the drip had stopped. But it definitely is seeming more like the headlight washer area. Especially now that it is also leaving an identical stain on the other side as of me leaving work late last night.
what is the word on research?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The leak(s) have stopped and the coolant reservoir is still full. Can't check the screen wash level as it's hidden out of sight.

Haven't had the time to take the headlights and bumper off and out for a better look as yet.

As soon as I get it sorted I'll post an update.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The leak(s) have stopped and the coolant reservoir is still full. Can't check the screen wash level as it's hidden out of sight.

Haven't had the time to take the headlights and bumper off and out for a better look as yet.

As soon as I get it sorted I'll post an update.
No need to take the bumper off. Try engaging the headlight washer nozzle, if there is a leak then then you will see the fluid puddle as before.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip. It was dripping while just sat after a drive when the reservoir was full. Will get the wife to activate the wipers for me when it stops raining.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to TouaregNut and Lgibson.

It was the hose to the headlamp washer that was leaking screenwash. Its not leaking anymore thanks to a mate who came round.

The low coolant level must have been from self bleeding after the alternator was replaced. It's stayed full since topping it up a couple of weeks ago.

Am really thankful for the information you provided. I was on the verge of pulling the radiators out lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Already done but thanks its full. Flushed it too when I did the oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts