Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a vw touareg 3.0 v6 tdi, I noticed the problem when I opened the coolant cap and saw that it was at a minimum, I poured about 2 liters of coolant, and examined the EGR and all possible components, I see that the two main hoses from the egr cooler, has been disconnected from egr cooler and reconnected, but there is another hose of a smaller diameter that has not been reconnected, it is just blocked by a plug but still connected to the egr cooler, I don't see any coolant leaking anywhere, there is no smoke from the exhaust, the oil level is normal, the car starts normally , the water pump is not leaking, there are no bubbles in the expansion tank while the car is running, which in my opinion eliminates the head gasket, the car does not raise the temperature and until now the coolant light has not come on. I wonder if it is possible for that smaller hose to let coolant into the intake? the previous owner told me that the egr was turned off as well as the dpf. Thank you

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, a pressure test is your first go-to. Also, test the cap. Mine was losing coolant and it ended up being a worn o-ring in the cap after the dealer did several pressure tests (they never tested the cap). Cheap enough so I just replaced it and have put close to 50k km's with not losing a drop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I switch cap, pressure test and finaly something I notice when I leave if warm for 30-45 min a litle puff of white smoke from exsaust and its outside temp is 22 celsius that is coolant in exsaust pipes, I must strpid down egr and egr cooler to see there is some leak. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
What do you want to do....

Strip EGR cooler just to have a look or do you want to make EGR operable again either way you will need some parts, 'O' rings washers etc at the very least because you should not reuse the old ones, or do you want to permanently delete the EGR?
You do not say what model/engine you have, if a 7L 3.0L I can send you full parts list for EGR replacement which shows the 'O' rings etc mentioned above that you should buy before commencing work.
If you want to permanently delete I believe there are a lot of posts on forum here to look at, so do a search.

TonyB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine is 3.0 tdi, engine code BKS.
The previous owner had already turned off the egr, but whoever did it did it sloppily. He didn't insert plugs to prevent exhaust gases from circulating, he just bypass the two main hoses from the egr cooler, and put a screw in the smaller hose as a plug. Yesterday I dismantled all the EGR and the EGR cooler was removed. Today I'm going to wash all that dirt off, I'm going to remove the flaps as well, install plugs on turbine and intake. I took everything off, I need 6 hours to strip it and found a lot of traces of coolant inside the intake. I just want a yours opinion where can I look more before take all off, just want to prevent hydrolock in time, becouse 2l of coolant is not a small amount to disappear in about 600 kilometers. I also have doubts about the expertise of who made the map in the computer, so I will also check that and load the new software. What else confuses me is that the coolant is below the minimum and does not turn on the warning, I removed the conector from the expansion tank to see if it reacts and throws out the warning and it works. I have scanned the whole car with VCDS diagnostics and there are no codes on the engine, has just some error for the rain sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you want to do....

Strip EGR cooler just to have a look or do you want to make EGR operable again either way you will need some parts, 'O' rings washers etc at the very least because you should not reuse the old ones, or do you want to permanently delete the EGR?
You do not say what model/engine you have, if a 7L 3.0L I can send you full parts list for EGR replacement which shows the 'O' rings etc mentioned above that you should buy before commencing work.
If you want to permanently delete I believe there are a lot of posts on forum here to look at, so do a search.

TonyB
If you can send me. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts