Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that you can open the sunroof all the way by turning the knob farther than you think it goes. Normally the sunroof stops about 4-5 inches short of opening all the way. Turn it past the last notch on the knob and hold it and it will open completely. It's a spring loaded mechanism that you have to turn against.
I was thrilled because I hated not being able to open the sunroof all the way. It really lets a lot more light in, but you do need to have another windows open to avoid the dreaded helicopter sound inherent in most suroof equipped cars. I'm sure this sound is why it stops where it does when the knob is turned to the last notch.
Not sure if this is in the manual or not, but even if it is, i overlooked it during my initial review of it.

· Registered
51 Posts
Actually, you still get the dreaded wind buffeting noise either way. I've heard several reasons (or causes) for this phenomenon. Anybody know the real cause? I've heard it's an air pressure-related issue or it's a percussive sound caused by the wind bouncing off the back windshield and coming forward. Whatever it is, it's annoying as hell...But I love my sunroof anyway...

· Registered
74 Posts
I believe it is caused because, with the sunroof open, you've effectively converted the vehicle into a whistle ... like blowing across the top of a pop bottle.

It's a very low requency because of the larger airspace.

A little pop-up fin in front of the opening would prevent it (disrupt the airflow across the opening).

That's my understanding of it ....

FWIW

Scott

· Registered
161 Posts
According to what my dealer told me. the default sunroof setting, is the best position for minimun noise and wind at speed. In the previous Jetta and Passat that i have owned this was done by an indication on the sunroof position sticker.

· Registered
29 Posts
A cool feature indeed. Never noticed it. Tried it and yes, there's alot of noise. It's nice though at low speeds or at a full stop.

Speaking of the sunroof, does everyone know that if you forget the sunroof (or any windows) open after getting out of the car, you can close them all with the key? Instead of locking the car via the remote, you can insert the key in the doorlock, turn clockwise and keep there until everything is safely shut. Sunroof included. Getting in, however, is another story. You must unlock the car with the key again (counterclockwise) and, in case you have a factory-installed alarm, you must immediately place the key in the ignition so the immobilizer/alarm recognizes it before the alarm goes off.

.............was that clear, or did I mix you up...?

It's a nice feature cause my kids very frequently leave their windows open.
Tom

· Registered
6 Posts
You should also be able to open and close the windows with the remote.
I used Vag to make this option available on my 98 Audi A4. By holding down the door unlock and lock botton individually, you could open and close all windows. I would hope you could do the same with the Touareg.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
tonyo1 said:
You should also be able to open and close the windows with the remote.
I used Vag to make this option available on my 98 Audi A4. By holding down the door unlock and lock botton individually, you could open and close all windows. I would hope you could do the same with the Touareg.
So far, I don't know if anyone has tried the B6 Passat VAGCOM procedure to get this option working. Maybe I will try it in the next day or two.

· Registered
35 Posts
My '01 Jetta would open and close the windows, or close the sunroof with the keytwist by default. I tried closing the sunroof, opening all the windows using the key twist on the Touareg and got no action.

Hopefully a VAGcom can enable this feature as it was very handy on hot summer days here in the south, or when you noticed the sunroof was still open after exiting the vehicle.

· Registered
16 Posts
kukuachu said:
My '01 Jetta would open and close the windows, or close the sunroof with the keytwist by default. I tried closing the sunroof, opening all the windows using the key twist on the Touareg and got no action.

Hopefully a VAGcom can enable this feature as it was very handy on hot summer days here in the south, or when you noticed the sunroof was still open after exiting the vehicle.
Keytwist WILL owrk on TREG:

Remember "Lefty loosey, righty tighty"
loosey-open
tighty-closed and tight

HTH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.