Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I mix vegetable cooking oil with diesel straight into the tank of my 2014 TDI without consequences of damaging the engine or fuel pump?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
931 Posts
No - the high pressure fuel pump relies on specific characteristics of the standardised diesel fuel for lubrication - vegetable oil doesn't have that characteristic so can't be used on common rail diesels.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Thanks!
Can the car be modified for bio fuel?
Yes, you can run bio in it, but go to a station that actually has a pump. No mods needed. They used to be good for B5, but I think VW raised the amount you can use now since some states are pumping nothing but bio through their pumps.

·
Registered
931 Posts
AFAIK, B10 should be the limit - it's not designed for higher %.

·
Registered
841 Posts
When I take long trips and I forget to bring fuel lubricity additive I have numerous times gone and added new, not used, virgin olive/canola/soybean oil during my fill-up. Not more than 500 mls. I've done it during the winter/summer and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No - the high pressure fuel pump relies on specific characteristics of the standardised diesel fuel for lubrication - vegetable oil doesn't have that characteristic so can't be used on common rail diesels.
From what we read on here it would seem some of the US diesel isn't up to snuff anyway. Perhaps a tank of Kansas sunflower oil might be a better bet!

·
Registered
438 Posts
When I take long trips and I forget to bring fuel lubricity additive I have numerous times gone and added new, not used, virgin olive/canola/soybean oil during my fill-up. Not more than 500 mls. I've done it during the winter/summer and have never had any problems.
Why?

·
Registered
931 Posts
There are NO "fuel lubricity additives" on retail sale in the UK, according to Google - it's use is for fuel manufacturers/importers/blenders.

Maybe Noobytoogy is right that US diesel isn't "up to snuff".

·
Registered
841 Posts
Fuel Lubricity Additive for 2013 TDI....use the SEARCH function

Check out this thread....around post#19 starts about BD. The whole thread is a good read....Even though we are talking about cooking oil here and not BD there are the same constituents and similar ones, although in lower concentrations to those found in 100% BD. So there is some lubricity gained by the addition of straight, unused cooking oil.

And in a pinch I would rather have something adding/increasing the fuels lubricity than nothing.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Much easier in regulated markets - all road diesel in Europe must meet EN 590 and that's what engines are designed for - no faffing around with additives to compensate for variable fuel quality - it's lubricity is tested to ISO 12156-1

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can I mix vegetable cooking oil with diesel straight into the tank of my 2014 TDI without consequences of damaging the engine or fuel pump?
When I empty the fryer at home I run the vegetable oil through a coffee filter in a funnel (takes a while) then put it straight in the tank of either my Beetle TDI or Touareg V10 TDI. BUT ... both of these are pre-clean-diesel technology. Back in the day, the discussion on VWVortex was that you could do as much as 20% of the fuel as straight veggie oil without engine modifications.

I would think that in a 2014 putting a gallon of veggie in a 24 gallon tank of diesel would be OK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts