Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

OK, doing upper and lower control arms on '04 Treg with Air suspension.

I finished the upper and all seemed to be going well on the lower until I encountered the front bolt on which the nut was rust siezed to the bolt. After heating it red hot more than once, finally got it out. As I have the tool, popping the ball joints was also easy.

Anyhow, after popping lower control arm ball joint I am now stumped as to how to actually remove it from the carrier (or whatever it is called) where it sits. I thought that once I had the bolts out of the control arm that I could maneuver the ball joint free but not even close. The top of the ball joint hits against the axle shaft and that general area well before I can lift it out.

It almost looks like you need to remove the asembly from the axle shaft. I did not remove rotor, caliper, etc. Was I supposed to?

Anyway, poor Treg is sitting in the air awaiting some knowledge to guide its owner (me).

Thanks,

Mike

· Registered
3,794 Posts
Sorry, I had my local garage do mine so I can't help with advice. Maybe Dragline1570 can chime in, as an expert in this area.

Kind Regards
Stuart...

· Registered
17 Posts
Mike,

AllDataDIY lists the procedure as follows:
-Remove wheel
-Remove wheel housing liner
-Hook in tensioner hooks (VW 552, a factory tensioning tool) in upper opening of wheel housing and in upper control arm
-Lightly pre-tension control arm to prevent damage to ball stud caused by ball joint (in the illustration, it shows the upper control arm at a ~20 degree angle toward vertical)
-Remove strut nut from lower control arm
-Loosen nut on lower control arm and press off ball stud
-Remove nut
-Remove lower control arm from subframe and remove from wheel bearing housing

I hope this is helpful.

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.