Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My Treg (bought it about a year ago) came from my dealer with a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde's on it (265/50/19) and they were great for the first 5k, but wore unevenly and have been a disaster ever since. From steering wheel shake to small chunks of tread disintegrating, I won't be buying a set of Pirelli tires for a long time to come. Finally, after a whopping 22k miles, they're worn out and it's time for some new rubber. A few months ago I bought a set of Porsche Cayenne 18" rims and was set on fitting the Treg with some beefy A/T tires, but have since come to terms with the fact that I drive a bit too spiritedly and don't venture off road enough for that to be a practical setup. I have the Cayenne rims listed for sale in Classifieds for anyone who's interested! After a bit more research, it looks like Conti's TerrainContact A/T in 255/55/19 could be a great compromise. I've read a few threads on here about people fitting them, but haven't seen any follow-ups after running them for a while. For those who have them fitted, how have they held up?

·
Registered
479 Posts
They hold up very well. I swapped mine out at about 45K with useable tread still on them, but I was going into winter and tend to drive all over, both on road and off. Treadwear was within 1/32 rotating every 10K miles.
I went with 265/50/19 and can't find anything bad to say about them- quiet, great traction in all conditions including an inch or two of water on the freeway, mud, rock, snow. Long wearing- much longer than any of the OEM options. They also have a satisfaction warranty, so there's literally no risk if all these wack cjobs on the internet don't know what they're talking about ;)
I ran a full set and there was no question when I replaced them- got the exact same thing again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RocketTech,
Thanks for the reply! Great to hear that these hold up well, likely going to have them fitted this week. Any chance you meant 255/55/19? I'd love to get these in 265/50, but can't seem to find them anywhere.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yup, you're right, just double checked and they're 255/55/R19 111V Extra Load. Dunno where I got that number.
I would've preferred more sidewall, but this was the most I could find in a tire I liked.
My second set were a little slick for the first 100 miles or so; govern yourself accordingly. After that, they're pretty sticky both wet and dry.
RocketTech,
Thanks for the reply! Great to hear that these hold up well, likely going to have them fitted this week. Any chance you meant 255/55/19? I'd love to get these in 265/50, but can't seem to find them anywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had the TerrainContacts fitted today, haven't put many miles on them yet obviously, but first impressions:

-immediately noticed a far smoother ride, no more vibration at speed or jarring impacts over small road imperfections
-steering wheel shake is completely gone!
-think they look great and visually match the Treg's on/off road abilities quite well (I'll post pictures once I've given my filthy wheels a good wash)
-small loss of steering quickness, to be expected coming from a slightly wider all season tire to an A/T
-overall road holding feels very similar in dry conditions, I'll be sure to report back when it's wet out

Love em so far, thanks again for the recommendation @RocketTech!

·
Registered
479 Posts
No worries; glad you enjoy them.
You'll notice a huge difference next time you get a heavy rain, blowing through a deep puddle at highway speeds.
I think the turn-in will come back. Mine is still quick on high-speed avoidance maneuvers but felt a little greasy at first.
Just had the TerrainContacts fitted today, haven't put many miles on them yet obviously, but first impressions:

-immediately noticed a far smoother ride, no more vibration at speed or jarring impacts over small road imperfections
-steering wheel shake is completely gone!
-think they look great and visually match the Treg's on/off road abilities quite well (I'll post pictures once I've given my filthy wheels a good wash)
-small loss of steering quickness, to be expected coming from a slightly wider all season tire to an A/T
-overall road holding feels very similar in dry conditions, I'll be sure to report back when it's wet out

Love em so far, thanks again for the recommendation @RocketTech!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Timely discussion for me. My 2016 has 42000 miles on its first set of Connies. I will not say who, but someone nicked a curb and took a 1"x1" chunk out of the sidewall ie therefore not damaged by "road hazard." Decided since I tow and RV and boat, I better bite the bullet. 4 years old and 40,000, better be safe.

I ended up buying 4 Michelin Premium LTX-XL. Tongue wt can be up to 650 lbs. I liked the Continentals, but the ones that fit my 21" aluminum rims are pretty expensive. Not that these are cheap. Good load rating (XL), and of course, can only drive at less than 189 mph. Love the Germans. This is why this vehicle has such great brakes.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
^lol

New tires always come with a coating on them thats used to preserve the tires during shipment and storage before sale. Whenever I get new tires I like to romp on them pretty good to get that coating off.. whether that means some burnouts, donuts, drifting, hard accel/deccel etc. The coating is super greasy and can be downright dangerous when wet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts