Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here running Continental Extreme DWS’s on their treg? I’ve loved them on my Volvo and just had the dealer I’m getting my new to me ‘14 TDI install a set, assuming I’ll like them as much on the VW. I like the softer sidewalls they have, as it adds a bit of impact cushion and they’re fantastic in the wet and even snow for at least the first couple of seasons. But with the heavier weight of the treg, I’m a bit worried they’ll maybe feel too soft.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do they make them with the right weight rating? I would be all over these if they do. I had these on my Tiguan, wife's '10 A4, and now on her '12 S60. They are great tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the 20”, they’ve got the XL designation, and show up in Tire Rack as one of just a few tires that work on the treg. I’ll know by week’s end how they work and will report back my thoughts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the 20”, they’ve got the XL designation, and show up in Tire Rack as one of just a few tires that work on the treg. I’ll know by week’s end how they work and will report back my thoughts.
...damn, I have 19s and want to stick with that size. I need the side wall for when I go to the beach.

·
Registered
172 Posts
T2s came with DWS’ from the factory, if I’m not mistaken. And, they’re a fantastic tire on the Touareg. But, if you plan on doing a good number of miles aired down it will beat the snot out of them.

I was doing 200-300 miles a year aired down on DWS’, and I was replacing tires once a year. Being aired down to 17/18 psi was destroying the shoulder of the tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
60 Posts
T2s came with DWS’ from the factory, if I’m not mistaken. And, they’re a fantastic tire on the Touareg. But, if you plan on doing a good number of miles aired down it will beat the snot out of them.

I was doing 200-300 miles a year aired down on DWS’, and I was replacing tires once a year. Being aired down to 17/18 psi was destroying the shoulder of the tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I think I do way less than 100 miles a year aired down. Island Beach State Park in New Jersey has air facilities on the way out of the park so its super easy to get back up to normal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I’ve had Conti’s Extreme Contact XL's and they are a very good tyre. I had 1 tyre that had a nail in it, when I took it to the installer, to have the nail removed they replaced the other 3, free of charge because Kaltire (tyre installer in Canada) said they were wearing prematurely according to manufacture specs. I don’t really drive the Touareg hard. I rank Kaltire very highly.
It is a soft compound so don’t expect to get a huge mileage from them.
Traction in the dry is excellent. In the wet, also excellent. It has a snow rating which would be OK for a light dusting of snow but don’t expect them to the same as a dedicated snow tyre.
Very predictable in its handling and lets you know that it is at its max traction slowly before it loses the traction.

As I have dedicated Nokian 8 studded snow tyres, my next set of summer tyres will also be Nokian. I am willing to try different tyres to see how they handle under different conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your thoughts on the DWS’s. I have had similar experiences with this tire on my V70R, including so-so tread life, but they are such a good all around performer, that I accept the shorter life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A two week update since getting my ‘14 TDI with new Conti 20’ DWS 06’s, I have actually had the opportunity to drive in the snow, heavy rain and in 72 degree F (22C) temps with the windows and sunroof open and they’re performing great in all situations. They went through both the 5” of wet snow and downpours of rain with zero slippage or hydroplaning, and with the windows and roof open, they’re quiet even at highway speed. Would recommend them to anyone looking for a great all around tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts