Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
. Amenities also abound for a vehicle of this time period. I've heard anecdotally that whomever headed up VW during the Touareg's development prided himself on packing it with every possible technology available for the period. Great when everything's working, buuuuut....$$$$ to fix.
I suppose that would make sense since a lead Porsche engineer and board executive named Ferdinand Piëch told Volkswagen exactly how they were going to build the Touareg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to close this out, found a local V10 with 115k on it in good condition, less than $5k. I decided to pass. I can buy LR's for the same money and seems like the V10 would get wicked expensive WHEN repairs are needed. I will likely buy a supercharged RR, not as much power as the V10 and half the fuel economy, but the engines are pretty reliable relatively speaking (lots of them near 300k miles). Trans are kinda crap and need a $3000 replacement close to 200k, but I have not heard anyone say the know the V10 drivetrain is gonna cost less than 5 figures to get to 200k.

BTW, degreed mechanical engineer here, do ALL my own work unless not financially viable. I keep spare D2 engines and transmissions around just to have in case.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
As cool as The Supercharged Range Rover is, it's also one of history's most unreliable platforms.

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,347 Posts
Just to close this out, found a local V10 with 115k on it in good condition, less than $5k. I decided to pass. I can buy LR's for the same money and seems like the V10 would get wicked expensive WHEN repairs are needed. I will likely buy a supercharged RR, not as much power as the V10 and half the fuel economy, but the engines are pretty reliable relatively speaking (lots of them near 300k miles). Trans are kinda crap and need a $3000 replacement close to 200k, but I have not heard anyone say the know the V10 drivetrain is gonna cost less than 5 figures to get to 200k.

BTW, degreed mechanical engineer here, do ALL my own work unless not financially viable. I keep spare D2 engines and transmissions around just to have in case.
If you found a running v10 for less then 5k please dm me the link so I can buy it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As cool as The Supercharged Range Rover is, it's also one of history's most unreliable platforms.
man I wish this was true but it just
I don't think the platform is the issue, although LR did they best to vie for a top ten position on unreliable components. Like a lot of modern cars they have their weak spots, luckily they are not as bad as some of the others. The 4.2L version of the AJV8 is quite reliable with lots reaching 200k no problem, I have a Jag STR with the same engine with 212k on it. The ZF 6HP26 is a disappointment but honestly not much worse than most GM, Dodge, Aisin auto trans. MB and Getrag seems to be the only ones that know how to make a 6+ speed autobox that will reach 200k without problems. And then of course there is the whole air suspension drama, but that is minor compared to the drama with recent BMW engines and LR TDV6 engines breaking cranks and other BS.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts