Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long time LR D2 guy considering a first gen Touareg. I would like to request some buying advice, like to know what I am getting myself in to before I do it.

I know about the driveshaft issue, no big deal.

I see several for sale with blown engines, what's the cause of that? Easy to prevent?

Same with transmissions, what trans do they have and is that preventable or how long do they last?

V8 or V10, which is more reliable. V10 power and fuel economy is impressive, but price of diesel is more than petrol in the US so not sure the value is there depending on maintenance.

Anything else likely to be expensive? Looks like most first gens have at least 100k on them at this point, how much can I get out of it without major repairs?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello all, long time LR D2 guy considering a first gen Touareg. I would like to request some buying advice, like to know what I am getting myself in to before I do it.

I know about the driveshaft issue, no big deal. TRUE - will cost about $650 installed.

I see several for sale with blown engines, what's the cause of that? Easy to prevent? 9 times out of 10 they neglected to change the timing belt at 85K miles.

Same with transmissions, what trans do they have and is that preventable or how long do they last? No issues here with transmission but ABS module is gone so no LOW setting at this time. And just about all aspects (errors) are caught on a scanner which can effectively shut things down anywhere in a Treg so get used to that.

V8 or V10, which is more reliable. V10 power and fuel economy is impressive, but price of diesel is more than petrol in the US so not sure the value is there depending on maintenance. Finding a V10 is the first issue and no real issue with the V8 that stands apart from other current motors or cars.

Anything else likely to be expensive? Looks like most first gens have at least 100k on them at this point, how much can I get out of it without major repairs? Everything is expensive especially post-pandemic - may have to have things done twice even but a Treg has plenty left at just 100k miles.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You can fix the drive/prop shaft centre bearing if it goes for $0 with The Jimi Fix [spelt exactly as written] which started life in the Porsche Cayenne forums! No one should pay $650 even for a rebuilt shaft!

Early V8 gassers have a timing belt which MUST be changed along with the tensioners, water pump and thermostat at 80K or 5 years whichever comes first: if it breaks the engine is toast as a number of folk who either didn't know or didn't bother have discovered

The later V8 FSi has a timing chain.

The V10 Tdi has a supercar engine which is complex and can be very expensive to fix, but the rest is as per any Touareg - not always cheap to fix!

To give you an idea, here's a current thread on a dead V10 that someone is trying to revive:

This is the most comprehensive "Buying a used Touareg " thread in the world. Do take the time to read it carefully to get fully up to speed - it will save you money at some stage if you buy a T1 or a T2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a V10 local to me for sale, 115k on the clock, runs fine no issues. What would be the major repairs it would need between 115k and 200k assuming regular oil changes, etc.? How many miles do the turbos last? How about the injectors and pump?

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
114 Posts
Can’t add any worthwhile…scratch that, can’t add ANY advice but I have seen that any elaborate work on the V10 involves a fairly complete front-end strip. This could rack up labour hours quite ridiculously…to the tune of 20+ I have read about…please investigate this possibility…

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I am aware that IF you have to go in to the V10 it means an engine drop, so the question is how easy is it to avoid that. As others have stated the general sense I get is the V8 engine is pretty reliable as long as you change the belt. Contrast that with the BMW M62TU 4.4 V8 that REQUIRES a 40 hr timing chain job at approx. 140k miles regardless of how you have treated it.

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
114 Posts
All that sounds rather scary…

Look, I am sure there are good Gen 1 Touaregs to be had out there…good luck and let us know if you find what you are looking for👍🏻

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
114 Posts
V8 is also engine drop... as an old LR D2 owner This truck is loads more expensive and alot more complex.
So this engine drop thing… more common than it would seem then?

Good reason to keep a good relationship with the local dealers then?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought T1 last autumn.

It's with 3.0 TDI engine.

So far I've had engine and transmission out of the car to do chains(should not be problem with the gears on V10).
Whole interior teardown to find and patch leaks that caused those damn wire splices on driver's side foot weel to corrode.
AFS headlight problems which required plenty of on hands time and still do to get them completely fixed.
Some pushings on the undeside and of course air suspension required a new compressor week from getting the car.

On top of those I'm currently waiting for last few parts to rebuild front differential as it's RH main bearing has decided to go.

(Edit: plus plenty of other stuff while fixing those main problems)

Over half a year in and ive driven it on maybe 7 days in total.

Edit2: if you are willing and able to do repairs by yourself and you are reasonably ready for them then go for it. If you have to take it to shop for repair your bill will get to five figures pretty quickly if problems arise.

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
114 Posts
I bought T1 last autumn.

It's with 3.0 TDI engine.

So far I've had engine and transmission out of the car to do chains(should not be problem with the gears on V10).
Whole interior teardown to find and patch leaks that caused those damn wire splices on driver's side foot weel to corrode.
AFS headlight problems which required plenty of on hands time and still do to get them completely fixed.
Some pushings on the undeside and of course air suspension required a new compressor week from getting the car.

On top of those I'm currently waiting for last few parts to rebuild front differential as it's RH main bearing has decided to go.

(Edit: plus plenty of other stuff while fixing those main problems)

Over half a year in and ive driven it on maybe 7 days in total.

Edit2: if you are willing and able to do repairs by yourself and you are reasonably ready for them then go for it. If you have to take it to shop for repair your bill will get to five figures pretty quickly if problems arise.
Scary!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Look - I also have a 2004 VW Golf 2.0 that has blown a timing belt, worn steering rack, intermittent transmission hang and recurring emissions/exhaust issues at 125K and I'm still not sure I should get rid of it.

There are so many variables, so many potholes, so many supply-chain issues, so many sensors and error codes, so many poorly-skilled technicians and great amounts of knowledge that all cars are expensive to maintain and of course customization or keeping a car in perfect trim requires disposable income. If you have a Touareg you've bought-in on the high-side of those issues - the cost of ownership is only part of the joy!

Both the Golf and the Touareg are warriors at 125K and 92K - I enjoy them - I've built many cars and these are worthy but I find the more technology and sophistication we add the further away we are from enjoyable driving and the closer we are to diagnosing why we aren't driving.

Reactions: antonroland

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
114 Posts
Look - I also have a 2004 VW Golf 2.0 that has blown a timing belt, worn steering rack, intermittent transmission hang and recurring emissions/exhaust issues at 125K and I'm still not sure I should get rid of it. There are so many variables, so many potholes, so many supply-chain issues, so many sensors and error codes, so many poorly-skilled technicians and great amounts of knowledge that all cars are expensive to maintain and of course customization or keeping a car in perfect trim requires disposable income. If you have a Touareg you've bought-in on the high-side of those issues - the cost of ownership is only part of the joy!
Well sadly nothing lasts forever…I am only beginning to understand the joys of preventative maintenance vs learning about the ways she demands attention…

Thing is, you get what you pay for or are willing / able to pay for…

Enjoy it. Life is short.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
All I'm going to add is that diesel in America hasn't been a cheaper alternative for at least the past 20 years. You don't buy diesel because it's cheap. Well, at least you shouldn't be. A lot of people don't understand that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hate to say it but the future DD is hybrid or electric. The "fun" car will always be the ICE for me so ... basically economy during the week that helps me save enough to drive the Touareg on the weekend and repair it as needed.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
gasoline has come so far and is so efficient and Powerful now that the advantages of diesel are not as strong especially with how expensive diesels are

Reactions: Touaregman33

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The reality is that no one on the www can advise you on the wisdom of buying an old car without seeing it, hearing it and driving it, and especially an old car that can cost a lot to fix if it goes wrong.

And that advice would apply to a 3.2 gasser and a 3.0 Tdi let alone the V10 which is something else again as you will see if you have taken the time to read the links I posted earlier.

We have no idea of your finances or your ability to DIY.

With Land Rover there are lots of aftermarket suppliers.

That's not the case with the Touareg - too few have been sold for others to really bother making parts.

You pay to play with any Touareg!

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,348 Posts
So this engine drop thing… more common than it would seem then?

Good reason to keep a good relationship with the local dealers then?
Dealers can't fix the T1's or T2's. They're to advanced for their age, and the techs can't figure them out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It can be firmly said that if you want anything in this life that speaks specifically to you ... you must be ready to fully commit to the unknown and be ready to mount a formidable assault on the known. If you choose to step out of the line of ignorance (not directed at you) there is a plethora of information to consume and tough decisions that leave you in the middle or right where you started. Boldly go where your spirit takes you and the trip will be worth it for better or worse.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've owned 2 D2's in the past (one stock and one highly modified). When looking for a vehicle to tow our boat, we started looking at RR's, but most felt big and truck-like. Also looked at LR3's and LR4's. Wife didn't like the interiors on those. In the end, we went with a 2008T2 (V8). Air suspension, fully loaded. Would I do it again? Yes and no. Yes's - fantastic tow vehicle, sporty on the road and a complete animal off road. Stock vs. stock, every bit as capable as a D2, maybe even more so in some circumstances, but lacking in articulation. This is compensated for by a very sophisticated traction control system, far outclassing the D2 in my opinion. Amenities also abound for a vehicle of this time period. I've heard anecdotally that whomever headed up VW during the Touareg's development prided himself on packing it with every possible technology available for the period. Great when everything's working, buuuuut....$$$$ to fix.

No's - I was also tempted by the V10, but now glad I passed. As stated above, a lot of seemingly straight-forward repairs on any other vehicle require a complete engine drop with the diesel. My pockets aren't that deep. However, my V8 is derived from the Audi FSI. Whereas the T1 has a timing belt in the front with normally mounted accessories, the T2 has a chain in the back with an A/C compressor that is shaft driven from the rear of the engine. Yes, it's a chain, but the guides will wear and guess what? Engine drop to replace. The a/c compressor, I believe, books out at a 6-8 hour job. Been there, done that. Oil leaks are also expensive. Oil filter housing gasket... a good 6-8 hour DIY fix. Oil cooler gasket leak (if I recall), $800-$1000. Been there done that. And god forbid, an upper oil pan gasket. The FSI is a modular engine and utilized a dry-sump system in some of the Audi's. In the T2 (wet sump), that means an extra oil pan gasket as there's another "layer" to the block on the bottom end. Hold on to your hat... that books at 22-24 hours labor! No disrespect to this forum, but internet V8 DIY support is also hard to come by. T1 V8 is better, but it's not like LR by a long shot. Many a time, I've gone to Audi sites for FSI advice. Aftermarket parts availability is also a challenge at times. I pride myself on doing a lot of my own work, but I've had to swallow that pride from time-to-time and find a capable INDY VW shop. And that in itself is a challenge. It's a Porsche Cayenne at heart, so look at those shops too. I've been lucky in that a lot of the technology hasn't failed me up to this point (150k miles), but there's a lot there lurking, I'm sure.

So... some of this doesn't cross over to the TI, but I do think the overall picture still applies (IMO). Don't get me wrong, a LR is no Honda Accord when it comes to maint., but there is a crap-ton of knowledge out there on all things Land Rover and a large network of aftermarket parts and INDY shops. Not once was I not able to get a solution to a problem in all my years of LR ownership and I was able to do almost all of my own maint.

Do I dearly love my T2?. Yes! Would I do it all over again vs. a RR, knowing what I know now? Probably not.

Your results may vary, but you asked the question.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts