Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I've been looking at buying a TReg as my current car, MB E Class (E290 5 Door) is starting to creak and groan at 390K Km. I live is Southern Spain and there are a few second hand units around here in Andalucia. My budget is around 8k Euros for which I would expect to pick up a 2005 diesel with around 200K Km on the clock. I drive around 12 -15K Km/year so not huge but its is up and down hills and motorways.

I've started to read the "what to look for" threads on the internet but they've made me look at other cars as there seems to be so much that I need to check! (new engines cost 10K! How often do they go bang then?)

Is it wise to be looking to buy a 10 year old motor? And at around 150K miles, what really should I be concerned about? I know that maintenance costs are high but would that be comparable to say a BMW X5?

Hope to purchase a new car in the next month.

I

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
At ten years old and 150K you're buying a well used old banger with a service history that may or may not include the use of the correct engine oil which may or may not lead to premature valve wear on the R5.

All the other expensive potential faults are as listed in the buying a used Touareg thread and your intended purchase may suffer none of them . . . or all of them, no one can possibly tell you which way that coin will fall.

Comparing a ten year old Touareg with a ten year old BMW is a pretty pointless exercise - the Beemer will be just as much an old banger as the Touareg with just as many potential - and equally expensive - problems if you read the Beemer forums!

The upside of Beemer ownership is that there are usually plenty of independent mechanics who know all their Beemers inside out. VW independents know the smaller models very well indeed, but not the Touareg.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts