Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my touareg was running great, oh we get that tire pressure system failure warning but thats it...until yesterday night. we go out to our houseboat, car starts fine, we go to get gas, car starts fine, we go into restaurant to get some dinner, 2 minutes later we come out, open the door with the keyfob, and the car is not turning over. we cannot get the engine to turn over. the lights come on, radio comes on, but key wont turn the engine on. needless to say our 2004 touareg is now towed (thank you triple a) to our local volkswagon dealer who all day today could not get it started, call about 4pm and say it appears it could be the courtesy computer system. they did get it to start finally, but had to do it a wierd way thru the system. anyways, anyone hear of this one before. we are worried our touareg is now in trouble....they werent sure if that tpms had anything to do with the complete shut down or not, but it was wierd, embarressing and annoying as the touareg is our only vehicle. and here we wait to hear what the problem is....if anyone knows, please share your findings.
thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Happened to me on 9/28 and again yesterday. The trip to the dealer on 9/28 resulted in an entire new steering column and a few other parts. The writeup says it took the tach 6 times to get the car to start, but it would only run for a few seconds and die. Did a bunch of computer work and it started up and ran fine until last night...

Nothing would happen when I turned the key - no gauge movement, the MFI showed the "Touareg" welcome screen, lights turned on OK, radio turned on, etc.

I asked the dealer today about a shift interlock bypass, as both times I had to have the Treg dragged onto the flatbed, not something I enjoyed. They said you could jump start it, close the door, put your foot on the brake, turn the key, and it should come out of park. I tried to explain that this was not a case of a dead battery and I tried jumping it the first time to no avail.

I am waiting to see what they have to say about this trip. VW Customer Care has been notified. They put me in a nice, bright red Chevy HHR. It's so bright I have to wear shades around it in the dark!

I'll update when I hear today's diagnosis.

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my touareg has been in shop since i posted. come to find out they have to order a whole new steering column from germany as this is the problem we seem to be having, it just stopped turning over. lights came on, radio, just nothing else, it was like the car was brain dead and guess what? Dealer said it was. he changed something in the computer system, back out the next day not working, so he said hes got to order a whole new steering column (which is where the brains/computer is) and that will take 5 weeks from germany as no one in the us has it. LOVELY. weeks driving around a stupid little cobalt, do you know how different a cobalt is to a touareg, well only a touareg owner knows. at any rate...the tire sensor gauge that came coming on, well, behind your wheels are those sensors, 3 out of 4 were not working which cuases that sensor to come on, because it basically means the sensors arent noting the tires. you can check the menu and see all is well with the tire pressure yet still get that sensor, that fault system message, that means your sensors are out and you need to have your tires removed and those removed. the clicking in my dash that so many of us have...thats the air flow system, cant decide if it wants to stay open or closed (seen only in jettas, mine was a first) he replaced that and says never hear the noise again. of course i wont know that until we pick it up this week (while waiting for germany to ship our steering column)...
will let you know. our car has experienced so much of what others are saying on this forum, thought i would let you know what our dealership says the issues are and how to correct. hope this info helps, wil keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my touareg was running great, oh we get that tire pressure system failure warning but thats it...until yesterday night. we go out to our houseboat, car starts fine, we go to get gas, car starts fine, we go into restaurant to get some dinner, 2 minutes later we come out, open the door with the keyfob, and the car is not turning over. we cannot get the engine to turn over. the lights come on, radio comes on, but key wont turn the engine on. needless to say our 2004 touareg is now towed (thank you triple a) to our local volkswagon dealer who all day today could not get it started, call about 4pm and say it appears it could be the courtesy computer system. they did get it to start finally, but had to do it a wierd way thru the system. anyways, anyone hear of this one before. we are worried our touareg is now in trouble....they werent sure if that tpms had anything to do with the complete shut down or not, but it was wierd, embarressing and annoying as the touareg is our only vehicle. and here we wait to hear what the problem is....if anyone knows, please share your findings.
thanks
My 05 Touareg developed the same symptom a few days ago. The dealership told me I will need to have it "dragged" out of my garage and onto the tow truck. I remain stunned by this requirement and have been looking for other answers. The responses to your post indicate to me I have little choice but to risk flat-spotting my tires. If there are any ideas as to how to get this vehicle into neutral without electric power to the ignition/steering column please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they (triple aaa) very slowly jacked up my front tires ever so slightly and was able to get it on their truck. there was no damage. It did take a very caring tech with triple aaa to do this. MY touareg is home now. Heres what they did. If your tire fault system is coming on, have them take your tires off the vehicle and look at the sensors, 3 of 4 were out on my vehicle which causes the sensors to come on, sporatically. fixed now. The ticking in the dash, is the air flow, they dont know whether to stay open or closed, and so they knock back and forth. they are replacing these. Ok the not starting....they have to replace the whole steering column. Its the brains of the vehicle. it was a sporadic electronic steering column lock fault. they performed a wiggle test and found after retesting the kessy module the car started again and again. they special ordered a steering column unit N360. this is the guts i guess of the vehicle and replacing this will stop this not starting crap that continues with these vehicles over time. we took teh car on vacation the day we got it out of the shop, no problems at all. so check the tire sensors after you take tires off, (dont let them use menu, its useless, will always say your pressure is fine). they need to replace steering column where the brains are for the not starting. Our new column comes in this week from germany, will keep you posted.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My '05 V8 has 20,700 miles on it. Can't drive it much when it's in the shop so often!

The dealer replaced my steering column on the first visit. 30 days later, no start. VW towed it back to the dealer where they replaced the battery first, replaced the ignition switch second, then they replaced the Access/Start module (which is under the steering column above the driver's footwell) and when I went to pick it up, replaced the new battery that was in the car for 5 days because it was dead. Nice. I don't have TPMS.

If your Touareg will not start and has battery power, I have been told the only way to get it out of park is to take the trim off around the shift lever and physically move a spring actuated lock-out switch while trying to move the shift lever.

Tim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the help. I will be sure to get an experienced tow truck driver and call my service rep to see who they recommend. It sounds like the tow went pretty well for hrdlyfound. I will also attempt the manual shift to neutral as suggested by pilottim. I'll keep you posted as per the results of all this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My '05 V8 has 20,700 miles on it. Can't drive it much when it's in the shop so often!

The dealer replaced my steering column on the first visit. 30 days later, no start. VW towed it back to the dealer where they replaced the battery first, replaced the ignition switch second, then they replaced the Access/Start module (which is under the steering column above the driver's footwell) and when I went to pick it up, replaced the new battery that was in the car for 5 days because it was dead. Nice. I don't have TPMS.

If your Touareg will not start and has battery power, I have been told the only way to get it out of park is to take the trim off around the shift lever and physically move a spring actuated lock-out switch while trying to move the shift lever.

Tim
Is the lock out switch obvious to find?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is the lock out switch obvious to find?
I haven't tried it myself. I learned about the ability to move from park after the second tow in. The Treg was hauled up the flatbed twice, not pretty, but once it's on the flatbed, they sprayed a TON of tire shine to make it slippery and easy to slide into the correct position.

From what I understand, you must remove the trim piece between the cup holder and the front drawer. I'm not sure how to do it, but I think if you go to the VW Vortex Touareg forum and look for Spockat, he has instructions on how to do this. Once removed, you should see a white spring loaded plastic piece. Move this and you can move the shift selector. Good luck!

Tim

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't tried it myself. I learned about the ability to move from park after the second tow in. The Treg was hauled up the flatbed twice, not pretty, but once it's on the flatbed, they sprayed a TON of tire shine to make it slippery and easy to slide into the correct position.

From what I understand, you must remove the trim piece between the cup holder and the front drawer. I'm not sure how to do it, but I think if you go to the VW Vortex Touareg forum and look for Spockat, he has instructions on how to do this. Once removed, you should see a white spring loaded plastic piece. Move this and you can move the shift selector. Good luck!

Tim
I have a tow truck on the way today. I looked at the trim piece and decided to not risk damaging it so will risk the tires instead. I talked further with my service advisor and was assured that the driver would implement use of skid plates and lubricants to prevent flat-spotting. He also believed that flat spots are most likely to occur with prolonged dragging, such as heavy, sudden braking at 60mph or more. In any case, I'm taking the risk... Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
let them know that they need to slowly jack up the front as best they can. they used some type of bar with triple aaa. they caused no damage to my vehicle at all, and they were worried they would. it was a slow process not horribly but with time and diligence and CARE they were able to jack it up, and then slowly, slowly drag it it and then able to connect the towing paraphenalia.
good luck....

·
Registered
39 Posts
let them know that they need to slowly jack up the front as best they can. they used some type of bar with triple aaa. they caused no damage to my vehicle at all, and they were worried they would. it was a slow process not horribly but with time and diligence and CARE they were able to jack it up, and then slowly, slowly drag it it and then able to connect the towing paraphenalia.
good luck....
Thanks. They should be here in a short while. I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The driver used a good deal of lubricant to help slide the vehicle up and onto the truck bed. My Touareg needed to be pulled from the rear given it was parked nose forward into my garage. We switched back and forth between using the "eye hook" from passenger to driver side and eventually chained up at the hitch/receiver, which I had installed upon purchase for trailering. That worked out very well and the driver was able to center my Reg onto the bed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is the final result: No damage from the towing. The lubricant was very helpful, along with a patient tow truck driver. The module that controls the ignition and other essential electrical devices could not be "awakened" due to the fact that one cell of the car battery was dead. That was the ultimate problem: a dead battery. My dealership charged me $150 for a new battery (VW battery made by Interstate) and $200 for labor, which included removal of the driver's seat. One of the service advisors was aware of the spring actuated lock-out switch under the trim by the shift knob but agreed that only under dire circumstances, such as off-road, would it be worth digging for. I remain astounded that VW made no other accomodation for getting a dead Touareg into neutral. Consider the implications of being miles off-road, given that this vehicle is specifically designed for such, and it cannot be easily towed in the event of a short-out, battery malfunction, or other circumstance that prevents shifting into neutral. In any event, it drives like new. I forgot to ask the advisor why the battery change out did not result in losing my radio stations and comfort settings, etc. Any ideas? Which leads to the questions as to why my radio still worked fine regardless of having a dead battery . . .
I love this car but often miss the simple days of my '88 Trooper. I could change the battery out of that truck in 10'!
They also recommended changing out the serpentine belt. I was so relieved that the electrical problem was simply a dead battery I simply told them to go ahead and put on the new belt. I have the old one. It does look a little worn. I used to keep extra belts for my Trooper for off road emergencies. Does anyone believe this old serpentine belt could prove useful for such?
A final thought: reading through posts by other Touareg owners is akin to glancing at a romance novella, at times. I read about exasperation, thoughts about selling, frustration with costs and repairs, and so on. Then in the next sentence there are expressions of satisfaction with the Treg, even pride of ownership. Essentially, most of us seem to say something like," Man, I love this car"! What are you gonna do, ya know?
By the way, in the wheels and tires posts I read a recommendation for using the BS Dueler Revos. I purchased Italia 17" wheels and the Revos. Best thing ever for on/off road. I strongly recommend this idea to other amateur off-road enthusiasts who don't want to lose a smooth highway ride. I'll post a note in the Wheels & Tires section to recommend this, as well.
Thanks for all your help. Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just a heads up...from what i was told from our service department at volkswagon, dont let the dead battery be the end all. because a dead battery you wouldnt have your lights or radio, the fact that you did, and could not put the car out of park, indicates the same thing happening to you that happened to us. the brains died. just watch your vehicle and be careful not to park nose first so tightly anymore (thats what we do now)....im still waiting for my new steering column, that is suppose to fix this problem once and for all. will keep you all posted.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts