Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested going us for a lunch and a drive on Sat May 21?
I have needed a good excuse to clean up the Touareg from all of the winter muck, and I'm ready to find some nice twisties.

I already have two others joining me, but I wanted to get the word out to more that might be interested in the Front Range area.

We will likely be meeting at Chautauqua dining hall in Boulder for a little Brunch.

Base route is likely to be (depending on starting point):
Boulder US 36 to Lyons
Pick up CO 7 up to the turn out for Raymond (Riverside Drive), stop in Raymond for ice cream at the local store
South on CO72 (peak to peak hwy) to Nederland, pickup 119 South thru Black Hawk and back to I-70.

We will be keeping all of the rubber on the road for this trip.

So who's interested?

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now we are 4. Who else?

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we had a great time and a nice lunch at the Chautauqua Dining Hall in Boulder. The place was crowded, it was quite hot outside, and most of us had to park a LONG WAYS AWAY. Lunch was pleasant with us all sharing a large table for 10 under the front porch. Right after lunch, TREGinginCO pointed out Gedde Watanabe, aka Long Duk Dong of Sixteen Candles fame, sitting about two tables from where we were sitting. Funny, because I sat through the entire lunch thinking, "Gee, that guys looks familiar". The hostess overheard us as we were leaving and confirmed our sighting, looking both excited and embarrassed as she said "Yes it is, Please don't bother him!".

We left Chautauqua, and immediately had problems trying to keep everyone together thru heavy Boulder traffic. We ended up losing one, and circle back and pick him up. The NAV system worked well as we meandered our way all over town and streets I've never been on, but got us to our intermediate destination of Lyons, for our climb up the canyon to Raymond. Too bad most of our canyon twisty enthusiasm was dampened by the mini van in front of us doing the speed limit and below.
The river bottom excursion up to Raymond was most beautiful with all of the trees showing their new green leaves, and the sounds of a roaring river off to the side. In Raymond, we stopped at the little store there for a much needed cold ice cream sandwich, and we stopped and chatted, especially about the two V10's that joined.

From there, we headed down CO72 to Nederland and enjoyed views of both the Boulder area and the snow capped peaks to the West. We pulled off in Nederland to take some pictures by the reservoir and let the dogs run around for a few minutes.

For those that left us after Nederland, we continued on down CO119 to Black Hawk, and had a chance to open it up a little. I would have gone faster, but the two dogs sliding around in the back had something to say about that. We met back up with traffic just past Black Hawk, but it was moving at a slow enough pace that we could sit back any enjoy the scenery of the canyon.

Anyway, I had a great time and look forward to the next meeting, on dirt this time!

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Vehicle Lineup (from left to right)

1: Aircooled's V6
2: Denverbill's V8
3: Colorado Dreams' V6
4: Chipauten's V10
5: TREGinginCO's V6
6: Dusty Dog's V10

Chris, thanks again for putting this together. I owe you beers, now we just have to find a way for that to happen!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts