Club Touareg Forum banner

COLD START "ONLY" BRIEF RATTLE

43K views 87 replies 30 participants last post by  maintenance247 
#1 ·
OK., so this is only on cold start that I get this temporary rattle for about 3 seconds, then all sounds fine. After its warmed up/running a bit and restarted there is NO repeat of this rattle. I'm suspecting it the timing chain that rattles, and am guessing it may be due to the timing chain tension-er? Does anyone know if they are oil pressured to tension the chain? It's about a 30 hour job to get a tension-er replaced (no small feat) !!! Has anyone had any experience here?

#2 ·
Not really sure about the TDI's but I've read on here in a thread that the gassers do this on a cold startup until the oil pressure builds up. Maybe the same?

#63 ·
No
No I have owned three TDIs and this is common on these Volkswagen engines gas and diesel there is an adjustment of tighten the chain after the engine chain has broken in and after the engine is shut off for a while then tension releases only to be retighten upon starting the engine. Volkswagen assured me if the in the pass and it has proven to be no harm done over driving many miles.

#3 ·
My VR6 3.2 does this with the rpm around 1100 for a few seconds and calms down. Treg was bought second hand. My audi does it too. Audi has always done it from new. System needs to warm up a bit before settling down. It's not a big rattle though, just like you're applying the throttle a bit. There is some mild chain slapping going on then rpm goes to 700/800. Not sure about TDIs.

#7 ·
Ok. yeah, I know what diesel clatter is... but this is more like a timing chain rattle for the first 2-3 seconds on cold start only as stated above. No smoke (white) on start up, and absolutely no clatter rattle after things are warmed up. I had VW repair a timing chain cover gasket leak 6 months ago. No noise till now? Anyway, a timing chain replacement is like 4 gran, a new engine is more like 11 gran . Don't really care for either. :)

#14 ·
If you've been around the vehicle industry, you'll know that a "long block" is and entire assembled engine, minus the accessories (such as external alternator, a\c compressor, P/S pump, etc).

How does anyone argue that the timing chain is not part of the valve train which is clearly mentioned. What system is the timing chain part of?

#15 ·
So... I was about to make a post on this issue but there's already one.

I've noticed on my '13 3.0L TDI that immediately after startup there is an odd rattle that goes away. I'm fairly sure it has been there since I bought the car July 2018 with 76K. I'm now at 96K and was doing some internet research on the TDI and came accross a thread about common 3.0 TDI issues to watch out for. One of them was rattle on startup.

There are some posts on the Audi forums about it. It seems to be more commonly a problem on the 225 HP 3.0L TDI (ie pre 2012).

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/so-this-start-up-rattle-on-the-3-0-tdi.274005/
Question 3.0 TDi death rattle on start up
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/3-...3/audi-c7-3-0l-engine-tap-cold-start-2888930/

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7...le-startup-normal-2902257/page2/#post24831316

Here is what my '13 sounds like on startup. It's done it since I bought the vehicle. Now the question is whether its something to be concerned about or have repaired or if it is normal for the 3.0L TDI.

I wasn't sure how to attach an audio file on the forum, so I attached the audio file as a .txt file so if you download it you'll have to change the end of the file name from .txt to .m4a to listen to it (Windows will ask you if you are sure you want to change it, press ok, then open with your favorite audio player). Also you can select open with windows media player when you download and windows media player will read the file after giving you a warning that it doesn't know how to handle it.

Any ideas if this is normal or does this mean I need to replace the tensioners, guides and chains?

Attachments

#17 ·
Yeah... I wish I knew too if this is serious? I actually found a dealer 1 hour away who agreed timing chain is covered under emissions warranty. I took it to them and after 4 days of starting it up they simply say they heard nothing amiss. I am beat out! I guess it will need to grenade the engine before I qualify for help. I have another 10 I before my warranty runs out.

#19 ·
Did you listen to the audio I posted above?

I just had some service done that included disssembling and reassembling timing chain components. My rattle may have gone away. I’ll have to double check it.

But have the dealer listen to the audio I posted. It’s maybe a half second rattle. At least they will know what to listen for...

It’s a 15+ hour job to get to the timing chains....

#22 ·
Technically, if you have video clips \ WOs, etc documenting the fact that you took it in and complained about the sound they couldn't hear multiple times, you'd have some decent arguments if it grenaded once your warranty expired.

You always have to fight for what you want.... just how it goes.

#23 ·
Ok., so I am wondering if I have a drain back situation going on here. I called the dealer and they informed me the oil filter does not have any drain down flapper since it is a cartridge filter. Also they informed me the oil filter housing does not have any anti- drain back flapper... so how does one fix this ?

#24 ·
I have had 2 Touareg both TDI and both did it...i drove one TDI for 100k miles without an issue did it the whole time my current Touareg has 75k miles has been doing it ever since I bought it with 30,000 miles... runs like a champ.. to be honest I’m not worried about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
My 2014 has this startup rattle. I have 63k miles on it. It last for a second, maybe less and is instantly gone. I thought at first it might have been a heat shield until I'm reading these threads.

Since I am the second owner and bought it second had from a non-VW dealer, is it still covered under warranty? I'm not worried yet but just curious about the warranty if something happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.