Club Touareg Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I can’t find a single case where it’s caused engine failure. Been watching this for past year so I’m not concerned in the least. I am going to change oil though just as a test to see if it effects this issue or the valve tapping at startup in cold weather. Currently my shop is using Eneos synthetic which meets the 504 and 507 spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
504 & 507 spec is mandatory because of the DPF. These oil have low sulfur / metal content saving DPF. Nothing to do with tensiometer... For tensiometer any good oil is OK but you need to follow 504/507 spec due to DPF on your vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Disagree. The very fact that it is intermittent tells you it was not designed to work this way. Whether or not it causes an issue down the road....who knows?
Not saying "intrermmittent" but "transient.". Intermittent happens anytime during short events, transient is only the cold start normal noise of an engine buidling up its oil pressure. Happens only during first cold start of the day. But true to say that engines are not designed for only cold starts...Even this is the only transient time where they are very vulnerable, one could say that at equal mileage, the engine that have suffered more cold starts number has suffered more wear. But you know all this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not really sure about the TDI's but I've read on here in a thread that the gassers do this on a cold startup until the oil pressure builds up. Maybe the same?

No
No I have owned three TDIs and this is common on these Volkswagen engines gas and diesel there is an adjustment of tighten the chain after the engine chain has broken in and after the engine is shut off for a while then tension releases only to be retighten upon starting the engine. Volkswagen assured me if the in the pass and it has proven to be no harm done over driving many miles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well believe it or not... I thought surely this time I got to the final leg of this rattle on start up. My Vw dealer technician admitted he heard it! I have more than a dozen video clips of it to prove my issue. VW concluded it was the oil filter housing anti drain back mis functioning and would replace it. They are stumped since it still rattles? Last word from service Writer is they are going to replace my engine since I am still under warranty! Can you believe that? We shall see! I'll post back once I see this unbelievably good turn of events. I am just under 180k, imagine!
id really like that happens to me too

·
Registered
387 Posts
No

No I have owned three TDIs and this is common on these Volkswagen engines gas and diesel there is an adjustment of tighten the chain after the engine chain has broken in and after the engine is shut off for a while then tension releases only to be retighten upon starting the engine. Volkswagen assured me if the in the pass and it has proven to be no harm done over driving many miles.
So your saying the chain can be adjusted if needed? Seems to me that if so would solve the noise?

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
215 Posts
So your saying the chain can be adjusted if needed? Seems to me that if so would solve the noise?

I don't think that's what the explanation meant. I think it was a reference to the self-adjusting mechanism. If it was owner adjustable it's get over tightened quickly and do more harm than good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on this issue as well. I can have the car sit for a day and not give the short rattle. At other times, it can sit for half an hour and give the rattle. There doesn't seem to be a real pattern. I would say that 60% of the time I can hear it. I leave my door open on each start, so I can hear better. Is it this random for anyone else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on this issue as well. I can have the car sit for a day and not give the short rattle. At other times, it can sit for half an hour and give the rattle. There doesn't seem to be a real pattern. I would say that 60% of the time I can hear it. I leave my door open on each start, so I can hear better. Is it this random for anyone else?
That is the same for me 2014 exec. No rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2014 TDI exec. I also have the rattle on startup. It's 2 seconds or so max and I have 97k miles on her. I believe the emissions warranty is good for 120k or 10 years on the 13-14's.

My car is at the dealer as we speak getting a new rear main seal replaced under warranty. I'll ask them to listen for the rattle and see what they say.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
You won't believe this..... upon arriving home from abroad, I took my repaired treg for a run. To my chagrin, same start up rattle! Oil leak repaired, anti freeze leak repaired, but same rattle. Called VW. They simply never replaced engine after all those promises. I am once again amazed! They simply repaired all leaks, decided not to replace engine, and no word on start up rattle. Can you believe that? I am now out of warranty, and will leave VW ..... drive it till it fails, and go elsewhere.
How has your experience been with the new engine?
I came home from over seas and to my chagrin they simply fixed both oil cooler leak and egr cooler leak, never actually installed the new engine as promised. So much for VW. I simply will never trust any word from any VW shop. I will also not be buying another Treg. They lie.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that they led you on like that.

I too think it's something that may not be worth worrying about. I have not come across an instance of the rattle being the root cause of a catastrophic failure and it sure seems like many of us have this noise. In any case I do plan to inquire about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You won't believe this..... upon arriving home from abroad, I took my repaired treg for a run. To my chagrin, same start up rattle! Oil leak repaired, anti freeze leak repaired, but same rattle. Called VW. They simply never replaced engine after all those promises. I am once again amazed! They simply repaired all leaks, decided not to replace engine, and no word on start up rattle. Can you believe that? I am now out of warranty, and will leave VW ..... drive it till it fails, and go elsewhere.

I came home from over seas and to my chagrin they simply fixed both oil cooler leak and egr cooler leak, never actually installed the new engine as promised. So much for VW. I simply will never trust any word from any VW shop. I will also not be buying another Treg. They lie.
Wow.... Amazing. Man Sorry to hear that. I thought the future was looking bright for us Touareg owners, starting with you... The clouds have returned...

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is the craziest thing. 90% of the time the rattle is there first thing in the morning. Park at the office on an incline and 5 hours later it rattles on startup on my lunch break...doesnt matter if I park nose up or nose down. Same when I leave in the evening. If I park on a flat surface it never rattles on warm start like it does at the office. The whole thing os bizarre.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got mine going in next week for them to look at (well listen to) It's still under a CPO warranty. No pattern that I can determine. It does it sometimes warm also after being in store for 30 min sometimes and other times after sitting overnight it doesn't do it.

Had a MB GL350 CDI that had same sound and it was a bad bunch of timing chains they got (but wouldn't replace out of the standard warranty even though it was documented they were bad parts). Hopefully VW takes care of it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is the craziest thing. 90% of the time the rattle is there first thing in the morning. Park at the office on an incline and 5 hours later it rattles on startup on my lunch break...doesnt matter if I park nose up or nose down. Same when I leave in the evening. If I park on a flat surface it never rattles on warm start like it does at the office. The whole thing os bizarre.
Same as mine so curious what comes out of this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing for me: have V6 2013 TReg. Currently in the shop they will be "checking the chain" on Monday. Exactly the same symptoms as described here.

Because it does not always happen I think it might be related to the position of the chain (which is random). So if engine happens to be turned off at some specific location that has a bad link - it will cause a sync issue when turned on with low oil pressure during cold start. Ofcourse if thats the case then it will only become worse over time. Bear in mind I'm no expert in cars so just some random theory..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same thing for me: have V6 2013 TReg. Currently in the shop they will be "checking the chain" on Monday. Exactly the same symptoms as described here.

Because it does not always happen I think it might be related to the position of the chain (which is random). So if engine happens to be turned off at some specific location that has a bad link - it will cause a sync issue when turned on with low oil pressure during cold start. Ofcourse if thats the case then it will only become worse over time. Bear in mind I'm no expert in cars so just some random theory..
Maybe a flaw in the chain/guide interaction you say? That would be interesting. It certainly is very weird how random it can be at times.

I think the thing that spooks me the most from a long term perspective is the effect of all of this repeated chain slap on the guides and possibility for premature wear/failure. Have read on other VAG forums where owners have experienced broken guides that led to total engine failure. In my case where I park at work on an incline the noise is quite horrendous and it seems as though a slack chain has gravity working on it to the point where it may be resting off the edge of the guide and then soon as the engine starts it is basically “sawing” at the guide for a split second at startup until it tightens.

Or I am just a car hypochondriac.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe a flaw in the chain/guide interaction you say? That would be interesting. It certainly is very weird how random it can be at times.

I think the thing that spooks me the most from a long term perspective is the effect of all of this repeated chain slap on the guides and possibility for premature wear/failure. Have read on other VAG forums where owners have experienced broken guides that led to total engine failure.
was it on the gen2 or on the first gen ? I know the first gen uses 4 chains compare to the gen 2 which is only 2...

61 - 80 of 84 Posts