Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll be following this thread also. Ours has the rattle. It seems like its almost every cold start. But not every one. Basically whenever I decide to try to record the sound it doesn't make it! But its pretty consistent and you'd have to be deaf not to hear it. Our engine cover is intact. My wife is the primary driver of this car and mostly I hear it when she's leaving and I'm standing next to the car. But it is certainly noticeable in the cabin as well, just less so.

I'm curious if anyone has had a TDI timing chain failure on this forum. I haven't read one yet so rather than fight with VW dealers, I may cross my fingers.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
215 Posts
I'm being told by the foreman that "TDIs are just noisy" and the engine has a bunch of sensors that will alert a technician via scan and/or CEL that something is amiss based on timing anomalies and harmonics. I don't know how advanced the engine monitoring is, but that's where it's at from their perspective and that's the end of the discussion as far as I can tell based on the Regional Manager's responses to me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't heard of V6 TDI chains skipping a tooth. But I had a MK6 GTI a couple years ago and the "chain slap" on cold start was a sign of chain stretch that was always followed eventually by the chain skipping teeth or jumping off and catastrophic engine damage. I really want to "drive more worry less" with this issue, but if its something that should be corrected then I definitely want to get it done under warranty. I need to check the date but I think I'm at less than 5k remaining.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well believe it or not... I thought surely this time I got to the final leg of this rattle on start up. My Vw dealer technician admitted he heard it! I have more than a dozen video clips of it to prove my issue. VW concluded it was the oil filter housing anti drain back mis functioning and would replace it. They are stumped since it still rattles? Last word from service Writer is they are going to replace my engine since I am still under warranty! Can you believe that? We shall see! I'll post back once I see this unbelievably good turn of events. I am just under 180k, imagine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well believe it or not... I thought surely this time I got to the final leg of this rattle on start up. My Vw dealer technician admitted he heard it! I have more than a dozen video clips of it to prove my issue. VW concluded it was the oil filter housing anti drain back mis functioning and would replace it. They are stumped since it still rattles? Last word from service Writer is they are going to replace my engine since I am still under warranty! Can you believe that? We shall see! I'll post back once I see this unbelievably good turn of events. I am just under 180k, imagine!
Glad to hear it worked out so well for you!
Did they replace it under the dieselgate extended warranty or did you have another warranty as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yeah.. with diesel gate warranty going out at 181 k for me... I’m really amazed with VW this time .. if all holds true it is enroute to be delivered at dealer by next week and replaced in another 10 days. Wow .. we shall see if this is to good to be true or not! (I’m always skeptical with VW) If this is true it will be my absolute best experience with VW ever! I post once I’m out the door!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok folks, (while I am out of the country presently) I just got the good news my 2013 TDI Touareg has it’s new replacement engine installed under Diesel gate warranty at 180k still a little under 1k running out. They (VW dealership) were better in service than any I’ve received from either Roanoke or Lynchburg , Staunton Va is the best! So now I have a brand new TDI under the hood ! No rattle! That’s better than I deserve! Can’t wait to get home and try it out! I am now bowing out of this discussion ...... unless something new on this issue presents itself! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok folks, (while I am out of the country presently) I just got the good news my 2013 TDI Touareg has it’s new replacement engine installed under Diesel gate warranty at 180k still a little under 1k running out. They (VW dealership) were better in service than any I’ve received from either Roanoke or Lynchburg , Staunton Va is the best! So now I have a brand new TDI under the hood ! No rattle! That’s better than I deserve! Can’t wait to get home and try it out! I am now bowing out of this discussion ...... unless something new on this issue presents itself! :)
That is a great turn of events. Let us onow how it goes. Still.....kinda ridiculous to need a new engine at 180 if you ask me.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Is Valley VW who you dealt with? Thats where I got my 2014 Touareg TDI and it has the rattle as well

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine rattles just every few startups so not every time. But I’m just going to run her till she blows. I’ve yet to see anyone that has engine failure because of the rattle and since it only last like 2-3 seconds i really don’t want my Treg going through major open heart surgery if not needed. Glad they got you fixed up though and kept you under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
387 Posts
Almost 100k now and been doing it since 35k which is when I bought it. Can’t tell that’s its really much worse if any since I got it in Nov of 2018.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One or two seconds rattle of the chain at cold start is NORMAL.
Every vehicle have rattle at COLD start, for the time the oil pressure to build up.

My wife's Fiat after one week sitting in the garage may rattle several seconds !!! until oil pressure arrive in the camshaft and valves area.

On the other hand a simple test will determine whether your tensiometer is an issue or not.

Stop engine when hot, then restart again, if rattle again then no good.

If rattle only at cold start after sitiing for several hours, then it is absolutely normal.

Because The chain tensiometer is driven by the oil pressure......

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah I can’t find a single case where it’s caused engine failure. Been watching this for past year so I’m not concerned in the least. I am going to change oil though just as a test to see if it effects this issue or the valve tapping at startup in cold weather. Currently my shop is using Eneos synthetic which meets the 504 and 507 spec.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts