Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mine continues to rattle after sitting for hours or more. Vw dealer claims they cannot hear anything unusual. I am now taking video sound clips and saving them for my next visit. I will be a pain till they do something.... or my warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Technically, if you have video clips \ WOs, etc documenting the fact that you took it in and complained about the sound they couldn't hear multiple times, you'd have some decent arguments if it grenaded once your warranty expired.

You always have to fight for what you want.... just how it goes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok., so I am wondering if I have a drain back situation going on here. I called the dealer and they informed me the oil filter does not have any drain down flapper since it is a cartridge filter. Also they informed me the oil filter housing does not have any anti- drain back flapper... so how does one fix this ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had 2 Touareg both TDI and both did it...i drove one TDI for 100k miles without an issue did it the whole time my current Touareg has 75k miles has been doing it ever since I bought it with 30,000 miles... runs like a champ.. to be honest I’m not worried about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2014 has this startup rattle. I have 63k miles on it. It last for a second, maybe less and is instantly gone. I thought at first it might have been a heat shield until I'm reading these threads.

Since I am the second owner and bought it second had from a non-VW dealer, is it still covered under warranty? I'm not worried yet but just curious about the warranty if something happens.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have read somewhere there is a way to use VCDS to determine if the chain has stretched (no idea what electronics magic allows this, I presume the phase difference between positions/speed sensors).... can anyone confirm that the chain stretch can be detected via VCDS by reading either the tensioner positions or the cam speed sensors?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
NTDI.. that would be rather cool! Never heard of that!
I'm of the understanding the reason our TDI's only rattle on start up for 1-2 seconds is due to an potential oil drain back on the timing chain tension-er , not necessarily of certainty a stretched timing chain, although one should not rule out the possibility. Vw tells us that the 1-2 second rattle is normal.... however I would think reason would tell you there is at best some "wear" every start up this occurs, and so I'm determined to fix this rattle for longevity if possible. Premium Guard makes an oil filter that has "silicone anti- drain back valve with high retention power for protection during start ups ... filter # PG9986EX that I have ordered and want to try. I will report back after testing it awhile.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Tn Treg Tdi started that thread back in march of 2018. Similar stuff.

My '15 tdi lux does it, not every time but definitely a fluttery/rattle almost contact sounding noise. Also have a transmission sound (almost like a race transmission sound) when I'm decelerating. As far as I can tell, not one dealer is capable of diagnosing and completely fixing this sadly. Whether its incompetence or it's too time consuming, I have no idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Tn Treg Tdi started that thread back in march of 2018. Similar stuff.

My '15 tdi lux does it, not every time but definitely a fluttery/rattle almost contact sounding noise. Also have a transmission sound (almost like a race transmission sound) when I'm decelerating. As far as I can tell, not one dealer is capable of diagnosing and completely fixing this sadly. Whether its incompetence or it's too time consuming, I have no idea.
My '14 TDI transmission sounds the same way accelerating and decelerating below 30mph. I think that's just how they are.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Premium Guard makes an oil filter that has "silicone anti- drain back valve with high retention power for protection during start ups ... filter # PG9986EX that I have ordered and want to try. I will report back after testing it awhile.
Do you have an update after using this filter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think that, this type oil filter has any drain*back valve. Spin on filter yes.

Premium Guard makes an oil filter that has "silicone anti- drain back valve with high retention power for protection during start ups ... filter # PG9986EX

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 2002 Jetta with the ALH and the oil filter for it had an internal dam that went about half way up the filter media. The filter for the Touareg has no such thing to hold oil after shutdown.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Do you have an update after using this filter?
I tried to update this , and somehow i cant seem to post. I try this again. Update is it still drain back. It’s rather depressing not to have better news! I finally decided just to drive it .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
The shall cover part means that there is really no discussion.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts