Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day all,

First, this is my first diesel vehicle (2014 Lux), so I don't have any experience to fall back on for reference.

Two observations:
1. When cold and sometimes on restart after sitting a bit, I get what I would describe as chain or chain guide rattle for a split second. As a former BMW owner - I am all too familiar with failing guides and tensioners. Is this just something it does until it gets oil pressure or do I need to have this looked at?

2. Cold start ticking - perhaps this is just what a direct injected diesel sounds like until warm, but I get what I would call a "lifter tick" on cold start - I can hear it better from inside the car than out. It is RPM related - speeds up and down with the engine speed. By the time the engine is up to operation temp - no more ticking. Is this typical? What is it? Something I need to address?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good Afternoon...thought I would post an update on this issue. It has been ongoing...and at times sounded like it was getting worse - now almost every start after sitting for 30min+... I was pretty sure it was a chain tensioner. I had mentioned this to my VW dealer on several occasions - I was always told - "we cannot duplicate the problem". So, I started occasionally video recording my starts - my plan was to have a library of starts as evidence of the issue. I was prepared for this to be a battle with VW to address the issue. I waited until summer was over and in need of an oil change to take it in - just in case.

I am pleased to report my dealer took my concern seriously...very seriously once I provided my video library of starts. They kept my truck for few days and the tech was able to duplicate the issue several times. After consulting with VW tech - the first course of action was to check oil pressure - results was OK. Next they chose to drop the oil pan to check for metal in the pan (this required dropping the front cross member) - nothing in the pan. Yesterday VW made the decision to replace any failing tensioner(s). Requires dropping the engine (why put the chain in the back?!) - repair will take 2 weeks. They have to order quite a number of parts - coming from all over apparently. I am told this is a very rare occurrence. This particular dealer couldn't remember the last time they had to pull a TDI engine.

While I would rather have my Treg, I am quite pleased to have this issue resolved. I did not want to let the powertrain warranty lapse and deal with it then. I have been talking to the dealer about this "noise" for about 2 years - so patience and persistence pays. As well as calm, courteous, and continuous pressure. If you are having a similar issue, I highly suggest start recording your starts. They emailed my start videos to VW tech - personally, I think that did more than anything to agree to repair.

Anyway, kudos to my dealer and to VW for addressing this issue. I have no doubt they weren't excited about it...but I didn't have to fight - so I am pleased. I tried to attach the start video that was sent to VW - with no luck...if anyone is interested, please let me know the process - I am happy to share.

Regards...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, that's interesting! Most Tdi owners on the Porsche forum have reported similar sounds (myself included).. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you so much for this thread!! I have the exact same sounds, what I would describe as a flutter/contact sound upon start-up, and a ticking sound! I've taken it in and said something about this twice! Guess what their solution was? Valve cover gasket. Really? I'll start recording it and bring it in with proof! I can tell you this much, resealing the valve cover didn't do a thing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for this thread!! I have the exact same sounds, what I would describe as a flutter/contact sound upon start-up, and a ticking sound! I've taken it in and said something about this twice! Guess what their solution was? Valve cover gasket. Really? I'll start recording it and bring it in with proof! I can tell you this much, resealing the valve cover didn't do a thing!
You are welcome. I tried uploading the video clip from my phone - but it didn’t work. I am happy to share what mine sounds like if someone can tell me how.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You are welcome. I tried uploading the video clip from my phone - but it didn’t work. I am happy to share what mine sounds like if someone can tell me how.
From the way you’ve described it, pretty sure that my sound would be identical. You could post the video elsewhere and copy/paste the link if that works!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
SneillMcGowan
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing