Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day all,

First, this is my first diesel vehicle (2014 Lux), so I don't have any experience to fall back on for reference.

Two observations:
1. When cold and sometimes on restart after sitting a bit, I get what I would describe as chain or chain guide rattle for a split second. As a former BMW owner - I am all too familiar with failing guides and tensioners. Is this just something it does until it gets oil pressure or do I need to have this looked at?

2. Cold start ticking - perhaps this is just what a direct injected diesel sounds like until warm, but I get what I would call a "lifter tick" on cold start - I can hear it better from inside the car than out. It is RPM related - speeds up and down with the engine speed. By the time the engine is up to operation temp - no more ticking. Is this typical? What is it? Something I need to address?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good Afternoon...thought I would post an update on this issue. It has been ongoing...and at times sounded like it was getting worse - now almost every start after sitting for 30min+... I was pretty sure it was a chain tensioner. I had mentioned this to my VW dealer on several occasions - I was always told - "we cannot duplicate the problem". So, I started occasionally video recording my starts - my plan was to have a library of starts as evidence of the issue. I was prepared for this to be a battle with VW to address the issue. I waited until summer was over and in need of an oil change to take it in - just in case.

I am pleased to report my dealer took my concern seriously...very seriously once I provided my video library of starts. They kept my truck for few days and the tech was able to duplicate the issue several times. After consulting with VW tech - the first course of action was to check oil pressure - results was OK. Next they chose to drop the oil pan to check for metal in the pan (this required dropping the front cross member) - nothing in the pan. Yesterday VW made the decision to replace any failing tensioner(s). Requires dropping the engine (why put the chain in the back?!) - repair will take 2 weeks. They have to order quite a number of parts - coming from all over apparently. I am told this is a very rare occurrence. This particular dealer couldn't remember the last time they had to pull a TDI engine.

While I would rather have my Treg, I am quite pleased to have this issue resolved. I did not want to let the powertrain warranty lapse and deal with it then. I have been talking to the dealer about this "noise" for about 2 years - so patience and persistence pays. As well as calm, courteous, and continuous pressure. If you are having a similar issue, I highly suggest start recording your starts. They emailed my start videos to VW tech - personally, I think that did more than anything to agree to repair.

Anyway, kudos to my dealer and to VW for addressing this issue. I have no doubt they weren't excited about it...but I didn't have to fight - so I am pleased. I tried to attach the start video that was sent to VW - with no luck...if anyone is interested, please let me know the process - I am happy to share.

Regards...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, that's interesting! Most Tdi owners on the Porsche forum have reported similar sounds (myself included).. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you so much for this thread!! I have the exact same sounds, what I would describe as a flutter/contact sound upon start-up, and a ticking sound! I've taken it in and said something about this twice! Guess what their solution was? Valve cover gasket. Really? I'll start recording it and bring it in with proof! I can tell you this much, resealing the valve cover didn't do a thing!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for this thread!! I have the exact same sounds, what I would describe as a flutter/contact sound upon start-up, and a ticking sound! I've taken it in and said something about this twice! Guess what their solution was? Valve cover gasket. Really? I'll start recording it and bring it in with proof! I can tell you this much, resealing the valve cover didn't do a thing!
You are welcome. I tried uploading the video clip from my phone - but it didn’t work. I am happy to share what mine sounds like if someone can tell me how.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are welcome. I tried uploading the video clip from my phone - but it didn’t work. I am happy to share what mine sounds like if someone can tell me how.
From the way you’ve described it, pretty sure that my sound would be identical. You could post the video elsewhere and copy/paste the link if that works!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, please upload it to YouTube.. You can set the privacy to "unlisted" and just post the link here. Please!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will see what I can do. Happy to report got the T-reg back and all is well. I am quite pleased with how the dealer communicated and handled things over the 2+weeks they had it. The final diagnosis was a failing(not yet failed) chain tensioner. Not as sound yet since repair. Warranty covered the entire $4700 repair. Whew...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a couple of the start with "rattle" videos...these were the best ones - could hear it most clearly. Also the ones the dealer sent to VW...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well thank you for this as I have the same issue. I seriously can’t believe though (even though I know is true) that VW has manufactured these engines for so many years and has a problem like this being such a common and major repair. I really like my Treg but wish the Germans knew how to build a reliable vehicle. This being a 2016 TDI being the last year TDI’s were imported to the US you would think they would figure it out by then. This is my 3rd Treg and my last due to no more being imported and all the issues I’ve had with VW. Very disappointing but thanks again for the thread. Guess I will take it over and have it ripped apart soon.

So if not fixed I assume this could be a issue long term correct? If so I need to have it done now while under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thank you for this as I have the same issue. I seriously can’t believe though (even though I know is true) that VW has manufactured these engines for so many years and has a problem like this being such a common and major repair. I really like my Treg but wish the Germans knew how to build a reliable vehicle. This being a 2016 TDI being the last year TDI’s were imported to the US you would think they would figure it out by then. This is my 3rd Treg and my last due to no more being imported and all the issues I’ve had with VW. Very disappointing but thanks again for the thread. Guess I will take it over and have it ripped apart soon.

So if not fixed I assume this could be a issue long term correct? If so I need to have it done now while under warranty.

I can't say for sure if it would ever lead to a catastrophic failure. I have heard stories of people with more than double my mileage with the sound and no issues. It seems most people are told - "its normal". Unless the tensioner failed completely - losing contact with the guide...I can see how it "might" never cause a problem.

There have been a couple of instances where the noise lasted a second or two longer - and louder. I got real spooked at that. It didn't sound good. One slipped tooth on the cam sprocket and its a very interesting paper weight. For me, I know it is not normal and is not supposed to be that way. The warranty covers it - they should fix it. I just hope the new one they put in is better than what they took out. I plan to put a lot of miles on this one - I don't want another issue in 50K miles...which would put me just out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I seriously can’t believe though (even though I know is true) that VW has manufactured these engines for so many years and has a problem like this being such a common and major repair. I really like my Treg but wish the Germans knew how to build a reliable vehicle.
How many 3L TDI engine revisions have there been?
They already revised and improved the design from the 1st gen..... if you want to talk about timing, it's a simpler design with less moving parts, etc.
The Germans don't know how to build reliable stuff? LOL.... I can't even.
If you've been around "the scene" for a while, you should know the following.
You can have any 2 of the following 3 options:
  • cheap
  • reliable
  • performance
If a manufacturer were to built a bulletproof vehicle that had this level of features and technologies in it, everyone would be bitching about the pricetag, and they would sell very few if any. People will buy an econobox and then bitch about lack of performance, quality and features. Others will buy a luxury vehicle as ours and complain about the cost and complexity of systems. Some of you guys need to come join us in the real world..... not sure where you're living.

Everything is a fine balancing act.... have realistic expectations of the engineering and manufacturing behind what you buy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How many 3L TDI engine revisions have there been?
They already revised and improved the design from the 1st gen..... if you want to talk about timing, it's a simpler design with less moving parts, etc.
The Germans don't know how to build reliable stuff? LOL.... I can't even.
If you've been around "the scene" for a while, you should know the following.
You can have any 2 of the following 3 options:
  • cheap
  • reliable
  • performance
If a manufacturer were to built a bulletproof vehicle that had this level of features and technologies in it, everyone would be bitching about the pricetag, and they would sell very few if any. People will buy an econobox and then bitch about lack of performance, quality and features. Others will buy a luxury vehicle as ours and complain about the cost and complexity of systems. Some of you guys need to come join us in the real world..... not sure where you're living.

Everything is a fine balancing act.... have realistic expectations of the engineering and manufacturing behind what you buy.
Yeah please don’t get me started. The Germans build super cool vehicles which is why I’ve had multiple Tregs and a couple Mercedes in our garage but they all and I mean all have some really stupid things that go wrong with them in under 100k miles. My last two Tregs both left my family and I stranded on trips due to failed center carrier bearings in the drive shaft with under 100k. I mean really and now this with 71k on the odometer. I’ve had 6 diesel trucks and countless number of Japanese vehicles with not 1 major issue like this. I say again not one. The biggest issue was loosing a tranny at 170k on a Honda Accord. All hwy miles to as I’m in sales and drive upwards of 50k annually for work. So no sorry there is plenty of history and documentation to prove you wrong there buddy.

That being said the Germans build a great design vehicle that looks cool and more fun to drive than most but reliability is not one of their strengths. You go buy 10 Honda’s or Toyota’s put 200k on each them and add up repair cost. Next go do the same for the Germans then we talk. Most people know the answer already but you obviously do not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts