Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Touareg 05 V6. During the first week of ownership, the MIL appeared. The dealership told me to bring it right in. They checked it and told me everything was fine. This happened repeatedly during the first few years of ownership, until I just started ignoring the light. VW finally recognized there's a problem and issued a recall on the ignition coils (which would trigger the MIL). The dealership was aware I'd get the MIL at random times. It seemed, actually, related to when/what time of gas I got and would appear shortly after fueling, then go off again when I'd refuel.

I had the recall replacement of the ignition coils done Friday and was told that I'll need a new catalytic converter now! $1700.

Can't faulty coils cause a catalytic converter damage? If so, do you agree this repair be covered by VW?

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Unburned fuel is sure death for the catalytic converter. Anything that causes a misfire in the engine, leading to sporadic or even constant unburned fuel to reach the cats, means exactly what you are now seeing. You are right in what you are thinking. Bad coils are prime suspects for cat death. As for whether VW sees it that way, it is something that I wish to not venture into now, because I'll end up pulling the remaining two hairs off of my head.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
337 Posts
bullcrap the first thing vw shops tell you is try not to drive treg when mil is on because you will damage the cat , just because they could nt find the problem doesnt mean they are not responsible for the cat failure, get your r/o s copies from dealer and bring them to gm if that doesnt work call vw of america and bitch, good luck

·
Registered
335 Posts
You are absolutely on track.

I got all my Converters replaced via Emmisions Warranty (80,000 miles) and this was caused by coils going bad intemittently.

I had a Thread in here somewhere ... http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f62/cel-after-coils-replaced-hissing-35723.html
ARCHER VW in Houston took care of the converters and coils no problem/no charge.

If less than 80K then it should be easy. If past 80K then only a little bit more difficult. Their bad coils caused it.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I called the dealership a few times and finally got someone on the phone. He said a million things could cause MIL and cause a catalytic converter to fail. I argued that while that may be true, we just replaced a damaged coil following VW's recall. That's not coincidence. That's evidence.

He said the dealership won't replace the catalytic converter at no charge but that he'd try calling VW, although he's not hopeful, that the Touaregs are notorious for catalytic converter problems.

So frustrated! And very disappointed in the way the dealership presented this to me. Any advice on pursuing this and getting VW to cover this cost?

·
Registered
41 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? Bones is correct, Federal Law dictates the 80K warranty on emissions. I had all 6 coils replaced on my 06 V6, started missing and threw an MIL. They replaced the coils via the recall. Audi replaced all 4 on my wife's A4 as well, there was a large bad run from one of their vendors.

Keep on them hard, but good luck with VWoA, I've found customer support useless in the past. They constantly revert to "the dealerships are independently owned and operated" speech.

·
Registered
337 Posts
be pesistent. if the treg never had a mil thrown and no other problems indicating any problems then common sense dictates that the faulty coils were the demise of the cat, have them tell you what caused the cat to fail , there would have been a mil showing a failure with something other then the cat its self , and the fed regulations state they are covered until 80000 miles like was stated by bones, stay on them dont take any crap good luck

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
....Keep on them hard, but good luck with VWoA, I've found customer support useless in the past. They constantly revert to "the dealerships are independently owned and operated" speech.
Yup. I've had the ol' "privately owned business" card thrown at me before :rolleyes:. It's usually towards the end of the phone call, and a few minutes before you are driven by them to sheer madness from "lack of.." and have to sit down and recuperate. :drunk: .

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
335 Posts
2X I've called VWOA and both times received excellent care.

I forgot to mention about the Cats, be sure your oil is not overfilled! Check what it says on the dipstick, something about overfilled oil can cause Cat damage.

·
Registered
337 Posts
did your treg always use vw oil changes, and if so do you have the r/o s show it to them with the list of service and show therer was no cat problems to bolster your case

·
Registered
2 Posts
2nd Bad Cat

VW replaced the coils and the catalytic converter on our 2004 V6 at no cost to us in 2008, and yesterday replaced the coils again, but refuse to replace the cat again because we have over 100K mi.

When the coils fail, the cat soon follows, there is clearly causality here. We received a recall notice in August 2010 about the coil recall -- if VW extends the warranty on the coils because they are defective, and the defective coils cause the cat to fail, shouldn't they extend the warranty on the catalytic converter?

We have an open case with VWoA. Their initial response was, "sorry, out of warranty", but when I escalated my complaint and explained the causality they agreed to a further review. Not optimistic, but hopeful.

Next step? Probably take legal action. I think a judge would be sympathetic to my arguments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, I just got my treg, and I had the emissions warning light come on. Took it in yesterday, and they called a few minutes ago to tell me that the cat was bad. $2500. BUT, it will be covered under warranty. '04 V6--78,000 miles on it. I guess it died at the right time if the warranty only goes to 80,000! Now if they could only figure out why there is a loud click coming from the passenger footwell when I depress the brake while shifting out of park....

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I may have mentioned, we had a cat failure near 80K, also, which was warranty covered (believe the cat is covered to 100K).

After a fair amount of back-and-forth, VWoA has agreed to pay half of the cost of the replacement catalytic converter, which reduces the cost of the repair by about $500. Haven't decided whether we will accept this offer or talk to a lawyer, but we probably will have to accept their offer as it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
be pesistent. if the treg never had a mil thrown and no other problems indicating any problems then common sense dictates that the faulty coils were the demise of the cat, have them tell you what caused the cat to fail , there would have been a mil showing a failure with something other then the cat its self , and the fed regulations state they are covered until 80000 miles like was stated by bones, stay on them dont take any crap good luck
I have an 04-V8 with 65K, took car in for 50K service and advised them that I had a noise under the right side of car during deceleration. Dealer informed me that the noide was coming from the Cat. Cat not producing fault codes at that time, not with VGA-Com codes indicate warm-up cat below threshold? Dealer wanted $1200 to replace Cat, I said no way. Cautioned dealer that this noise from the Cat may lead to other problems. Contacted VW-Advocate, no help there either. Keeping all documentation as this may have to go to my attorney.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts