Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year of trying different configurations to avoid buying KW v3's....

The BC's, even with the 2010 Touareg rear upper mounts didn't work. Back to the drawing board.
Have to give a huge shout-out to Andrew at Open Road Tuning. He kept looking for an alternative to the KW v3's.
He found another option from a company called Scale Suspension. He talked to them and arranged a one-off setup to test.

And a solution is at hand!!!

We ended up with a 3" drop in the front and 2.5" in the rear to hold a little rake. We may change that after it settles and the new wheels/tires come in.
Ride quality is like stock. Nice and smooth, tight through the corners. No negatives to the ride at all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I assume that Scale Suspensions is an American company? Do they make applications for German auto makers only? PS: Nice drop!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume that Scale Suspensions is an American company? Do they make applications for German auto makers only? PS: Nice drop!
Actually they're a Canadian company. And I know they make systems for other makes and models. I'd drop Andrew a line and ask since he's their US Distributor, afaik.

And thanks, we're very happy with the ride height. Can't wait for the wheels to finish it up.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm not a fan of this kind of thing but, properly done with the right kit and a good understanding of the dynamics involved, clearly, between you all, you've done a good job. So, hats off and . . . NICE ONE!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really, I live outside of Toronto. Thanks for the info! What kind of wheels are you planning on installing?
It's my wife's car. She's narrowed it down to a few. Looking like Forgestar F14 is in the lead. 20x10.5 with Conti DWS.

I'm not a fan of this kind of thing but, properly done with the right kit and a good understanding of the dynamics involved, clearly, between you all, you've done a good job. So, hats off and . . . NICE ONE!
Thank you. We've been researching this for a while and so far are very happy with the results.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Diirk - question about your wheels.... looks like a matte finish on them? Are they painted, dipped or powder coated?

Reactions: diirk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diirk - question about your wheels.... looks like a matte finish on them? Are they painted, dipped or powder coated?
The wheels are PlastiDipped. Black topped with a glossifier that adds UV protection and just a slight sheen.
Did it in June to see how we liked having black wheels. For a while we just had one side done...lol. Decided we liked it and did the other side.

We considered powder coating them, but decided on getting new wheels instead.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Please post some pics when you install the wheels. I know which Forgestars you are looking at. Your Treg is going to look great, especially with the drop!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please post some pics when you install the wheels. I know which Forgestars you are looking at. Your Treg is going to look great, especially with the drop!
Will do. It may not be until next year. If we go with them, they will have to be custom made.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the offset mainly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This thread is about a year too late! Haha.

I searched high and low last December looking for an alternative to the KW coilovers. I have the V3's in my Jetta and have been happy with them, but couldn't justify the insane price for the Touareg.

H&R springs were really the only other option which is what I went with. I would have liked another inch or so, but given the limited options the springs made the most sense.

I'm glad to see there is another option now!

Do you mind my asking what the approximate cost of these were?

Reactions: diirk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Retail is $1400
That is pretty reasonable.

I wish there was a coil over option that allowed us to lift the Touareg as well. That would be really cool.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a decent price.

You might be able to lift out. The rears would support it I think. The fronts might need different springs. You can ask them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update. Put about 500 miles on the Touareg since the install. Ride quality is great. Compliments from passengers and others alike.

Springs have settled about 3/16"

Wheels are on order...whohoo!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just a quick update. Put about 500 miles on the Touareg since the install. Ride quality is great. Compliments from passengers and others alike.

Springs have settled about 3/16"

Wheels are on order...whohoo!
I was thinking of getting Koni FSDs ($877) and H&R springs lowered 1.5", about $280 I think.

Would you be able to comment on the comparison?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking of getting Koni FSDs ($877) and H&R springs lowered 1.5", about $280 I think.

Would you be able to comment on the comparison?
I'd like to start with...Brisbane is a very nice place. Visited there a few years ago. Didn't get to spend much time but would love to go back.

As for your combo above, I can't really comment much as I haven't run that configuration. With that said, I have the HR's on my S5 and I am less than impressed with them. I'll be swapping out to coil-overs next year. But, I am running the stock shocks where the FSD's will certainly work much better.

Another aspect is that my wife wanted to go lower than the HR's would allow. We're at 3" right now and think that's perfect. Still functional, not too low, but the wheel well gap is gone.

So I think is boils down to what you're trying to accomplish. What is your goal with the new suspension?

We were looking for much better handling & minimal gap. Cayenne GTS sway bars will be ordered soon also.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So I think is boils down to what you're trying to accomplish. What is your goal with the new suspension?
I want it to handle like it's on rails but not punch me in the gut on every bump.
And reduce the gap a bit.

Any time I haven't used Koni I've been disappointed, even when I used Bilstein.
On the front anyway.

I got the desired result with my BMW 6, my SAAB and my other Explorer which has gone now. I think the ride problem with my current Explorer is that it's too high, the suspension might be topping out.

I have put enough miles on the Touareg yet to know exactly what it is that I want to change if at all, but I've never left a suspension standard yet and sometimes it's the only modification I've made.
Actually, shocks and wheel/tyres is all the SAAB got.

I think I'll run the tread off the 17s I've got now and then look around for 20s or 22s then evaluate the gap etc.

I was interested to know how the shock part of the setup worked, especially compared to Konis.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts