Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. this is my first post here so a big hello first.

I am based in the U.K and there are very few specialists around so I am trying to repair the various faults on my 2004 3.2 v6 auto. And I was wondering if you could give me a little advice.

Upon purchasing the car and driving home there was a terrible clunk clunk cv joint sound coming from the front at low speed and cornering. Upon researching the problem I came to the conclusion that the servo motor on the front diff was faulty. It was the original A prefix.so I purchased a brand new on a c prefix and fitted it. The Touareg is now perfect on corners and even on full lock there is no skipping or clunking etc.

However, when accelerating through 15-25 mph or there a bouts the clunking is back but only in a straight line. I can feel it through the car like a clunk clunk clunk and definitely coming from the front rather than the arm rest area. Once past 25mph it is perfectly fine. It does this around 60% of the time! and the other 40% of this time it drives as new. Just really looking for suggestions on checks I could do to determine the fault. fingers crossed the front diff is not goosed.

thanks in advance
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
Check the Swarbar links and the bushes where they attach to the frame. Always a good candidate.

Stuart...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,430 Posts
A duff diff normally drones badly. Clunking sounds more like a duff suspension bush to me.

I'd get the thing up on a ramp and get a good mechanic to go around the bushes with a pry bar. Also check the 4 large subframe bushes.

If you haven't already done so, take a bit of time to read the buying a Touareg thread - link in my signature below. You'll probably learn something and may save money later too.

You have got 4 identical tyres fitted, haven't you? Same size, same make, same tread pattern and very similar tread depth to within a couple of mm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Transfer Case.

Mine was definitely from the front. My neighbor hung out the window to pinpoint the noise to just barely south of the front wheels.

Check my posts for my adventure. However, I think one can be rebuilt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmmm, the tyres are not identical and are about 2.5 different on the front left to right. Does this really make a clunk clunk sound?

The only reason im trying to pretend it might not be the transfer case isbecause it does not do it all the time and i figured that generally a 'mechanical' failure is normally there all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,430 Posts
Several people with peculiar noises find everything is sorted with a new set of IDENTICAL tyres.

Tyre sizes are nominal and overall diameters can vary by quite a bit between different manufacturers making the same size tyre hence the need for 4 IDENTICAL tyres as the maximum tread difference tolerance between tyres on the same axle on a Touareg is 2mm and between front and rear axles it is 3mm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, i just wanted to update the thread as i know how annoying it can be when they are left open. Sure enough it was the TYRES that were causing it. When i purchased it had 4 different brand tyres on, but all of the same size, 275 40 20. Changed them for matching Hankook 275 40 20 tyres and now no more clunking. Unbelievable really as the clunking would vibrate the whole vehicle and you could feel it binding away through the steering wheel. Im guessing that the difference in size causes the stepper motor to try altering the diff to compensate when it isnt needed?

Thanks again for All the help you have given me and potentially saved me £0000's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,430 Posts
It is always nice to hear the end result of any query, especially when the outcome is good news!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top