Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately the Touareg makes a almost mechanical loud click while it is in park and I press the brake so I can move the shifter. will do the same when releasing the brake while in park. I can actually feel it vibrate if I set my hand on the shifter. This is a 2010 model. Everything still works fine, but wondering if this is a prelude to something failing that will leave me unable to shift out of park if failure happens..
Any ideas what it is and repairs?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This is normal. This is a lock mechanism releasing to prevent the shifter being moved without the brake pedal being suppressed. This isn't unique to Touareg, all VW automatics (I also believe DSG) do it.

There is also an icon on the instrument cluster of a foot hovering over a pedal...this is telling you to put your foot on the brake...if you are stopped or creeping along.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but it never made this loud click noise in the previous 5 years, and vibration on the shift lever. So was concerned something maybe failing

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, I am not sure why it hasn't made it before. But if your stereo is off, and your Windows are up, and no one is talking, you normally will hear a click (about the same volume as a retractable pen "click"). You will also always be able to feel lock / unlock movement in the shifter. This is subtle but still noticeable.

If yours is worse then the above then??? More concerned why it wasn't doing it for five years...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes now it is more a louder mechanical sound as opposed to a one click sound. Like a Master Locker room lock opening when pulling open.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
OK, sounds like the lock mechanism might be on its way out. That is too loud. I have not run across this before, might do a search and see what you get. I believe the switch is at the base of the shift selector, accessible from inside with removal of part of the center console.

The only good thread I found on this doesn't have pictures anymore. But here it is: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f73/diy-shifter-components-console-15661.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts