Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to educate myself on the workings of VCDS is it ok to clear fault codes using VCDS ?

I have rolled back the code changes for Dynamic Road Sign Assist and then re coded it again but have some Fault Codes.
What are the consequences if fault codes are cleared with VCDS will they disappear for good even if the fault still exists ?
If the fault was temporary or intermittent and is currently ok will they re appear if the fault re occurs ?
One fault code would not clear when accessing the module and clearing the fault but did clear when using Clear All DTCs after a Scan ?

Thanks
Kym

·
Registered
633 Posts
When re-coding always write down original code in case you want to return it at a later date.
After doing a scan and saving it, it is safe to clear all DTC’s. If a fault comes back and won’t clear it needs to be dealt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mtnride
I thought that was the case but wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my experience with clearing fault codes with VCDS, they will reappear again should the fault occur again. If the fault is temporary and disappears there will be a fault code there still giving the time and distance that it occurred. I've had a turbo issue with a previous car (Audi V6 TDI) which brought on the check engine light, and even after the light went out through no action of mine, ( I assume the fault has to occur a number of times to bring on the light, and then it has to operate normally for a certain number of cycles to turn off the light) the fault code is still in the module.

I don't know why you couldn't clear the fault via clear all DTCs yet you could when accessing the module direct. I've not come across that issue.

I hope this rather convoluted description helps.

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know why you couldn't clear the fault via clear all DTCs yet you could when accessing the module direct. I've not come across that issue.

I hope this rather convoluted description helps.
Thanks Malaudi
That makes sense and is what I hoped would happen.
Other way around a fault code for 5F would not clear while I was accessing the module
but it did clear after performing Clear All DTCs immediately after a scan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts