Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
MY16 may have an issue with OBDC port programming. MY13 no issue. You are however taking a risk - the super chips tune can be removed before service and ECU returned to stock (at least for the MY13) BUT the telltales of "abnormal" engine operation will still be present in the ECU logs - the dealer may spot these - when the car is plugged in to the diagnostic the factory in Germany will spot them.

Anyway:
Contact Peter:

Peter James Tuning Ltd, exclusive distributors for
Superchips & Bluefin in New Zealand & Australia
Mobile: NZ +64 (0) 27 275 7574
AUS +61 (0)401 293378
Email: [email protected]
Web: ECU Remap, Car Chipping, Engine Tune, Peter James Tuning | Superchips
ECU Remap, Car Chipping, Engine Tune, Peter James Tuning | Superchips

Note: no affiliation on my part.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
54 Posts
SW Diesel chip

Any recommendation around Sydney are where to buy and get installed decent chip for MY16 V6 TDI 180kW Treg?

Thanks
Hi Bion. It may not be what you are after, but I have an add in the For Sale section for a plug in power module which I used for 8 months. I've removed it for trade in. It may be worth a look.

Rob

· Registered
313 Posts
My apologies to the previous poster. I too have a Spider tuning box (learning and adaptive and quite smart) last used on a BMW X3 3.0d that I could sell but I will not offer it for sale.

The tuning box is a device that sits between the common rail pressure sensor and the ECU and "adjusts" the electrical signal (the fuel rail pressure) that the ECU sees. The tuning box forces more than normal fuel into the engine. Diesels are quite simple in that respect - more fuel more power - too much and you get black smoke. You do not have to worry about air fuel ratio like with a petrol engine. Many many tuning boxes out there, some simple some adaptive and complex but the end result is the same.

There is a draw back with the tuning boxes. Many may never experience this. The issue is that the tuning box has have a detrimental effect on vehicle handing in extreme cases - aka collision avoidance etc where the stability control systems step in. so if you have never experience the stability control systems cutting in - no issue for you - but will you risk it?

The "tuning module" is open loop. The ECU and stability control systems have no knowledge of the extra power being applied by a tuning box and the "maps" that are used by the stability systems are out of calibration with respect to what is really going on. Sure stability control nips the brakes but also - and this is the issue - stability control reduces engine power. But the tuning box is applying additional power that the ECU does not know about. This is plain dangerous. In short unless the tuning box has ECU feedback (some do) do not go there. Get an ECU re-map - all things then under control.

Tuning boxes do have their place. Tuning boxes started out being used on large prime movers . . . they work well in this environment. Tuning boxes also work well in older smaller vehicles with turbo diesel engines with no stability control systems. Application to smaller / faster and more agile vehicles is the issue and really should be avoided.

· Registered
54 Posts
Different module

My apologies to the previous poster. I too have a Spider tuning box (learning and adaptive and quite smart) last used on a BMW X3 3.0d that I could sell but I will not offer it for sale.

The tuning box is a device that sits between the common rail pressure sensor and the ECU and "adjusts" the electrical signal (the fuel rail pressure) that the ECU sees. The tuning box forces more than normal fuel into the engine. Diesels are quite simple in that respect - more fuel more power - too much and you get black smoke. You do not have to worry about air fuel ratio like with a petrol engine. Many many tuning boxes out there, some simple some adaptive and complex but the end result is the same.

There is a draw back with the tuning boxes. Many may never experience this. The issue is that the tuning box has have a detrimental effect on vehicle handing in extreme cases - aka collision avoidance etc where the stability control systems step in. so if you have never experience the stability control systems cutting in - no issue for you - but will you risk it?

The "tuning module" is open loop. The ECU and stability control systems have no knowledge of the extra power being applied by a tuning box and the "maps" that are used by the stability systems are out of calibration with respect to what is really going on. Sure stability control nips the brakes but also - and this is the issue - stability control reduces engine power. But the tuning box is applying additional power that the ECU does not know about. This is plain dangerous. In short unless the tuning box has ECU feedback (some do) do not go there. Get an ECU re-map - all things then under control.

Tuning boxes do have their place. Tuning boxes started out being used on large prime movers . . . they work well in this environment. Tuning boxes also work well in older smaller vehicles with turbo diesel engines with no stability control systems. Application to smaller / faster and more agile vehicles is the issue and really should be avoided.
Whilst I acknowledge that as an diesel mechanic/engineer, you know your stuff, the unit I have is not a Spider (unless that's a generic term) as quoted. I used my unit for 8 months and several thousand km under all types of driving conditions from towing a heavy caravan to (very) high speed (illegal highway speeds of up to 150 km/hr for sustained distances) and there was NEVER an issue with ESC or any other system for that matter. If I had had any issues, there's no way I would risk another person's life by attempting to sell it. I am a Paramedic and have seen too much to put another at risk. SW Diesel states their system is designed around each model they are fitted to from "'Cruiser" to Touaregs" and the rest by yes, adding fuel, but the SW unit also adds boost, so not quite as simple as just pouring fuel in. If I had no issue with mine why would an identical car have issues? I do appreciate where you are coming from but "oils ain't oils Sol". Let's just agree to differ.

· Registered
17 Posts
Best to get an ECU tune. With the treg you can do a OBD2 but its not recommend. They will pull out the ECU. I’m about to get mine done in a few weeks by AVA Performance dealer in Perth. They have done my other cars and very happy with the tunes quote]
Dam, I looked at the link you supplied, but cannot see anywhere on the site that gives kw/nm upgrade figures. Is this the case ? or is my Google Fu not very good ?

· Registered
23 Posts
Will probably need to ring them to get the figures. I️ forget the exact figures. I️ know the guy in Perth who is a dealer for them. As they have done my other cars I’m happy with the tunes they do. So many tuners out there now it’s gets quite tough who to go with now.

· Registered
17 Posts
OK so being new to VW / Audi , I'm learning lots, but lots to still learn. I have Googled plenty and cannot get a clear indication , is the the current Touareg 3.0 v6 TDI motor, the same, as used in the Audi SQ5 ?
I see they are pulling 230 kw from the Audi engine, Would this be from different turbos and factory ECU tune, ( assuming same basic engine ) or is this a complete new evolution of the engine ?

· Registered
4 Posts
My advise is to use a reputable tuner who assists you in measurement of AFR (Air Fuel Ration) and not just give you a generic tune which works on another vehicle somewhere else in the world with different temperatures, air pressure etc. be it Plug 'n Play, or ODBII programming.
I would not chase figures, as some of these companies oversell their products by claiming ridiculous figures as they know not many people will actually verify the gains on a dyno meter.

· Registered
23 Posts
OK so being new to VW / Audi , I'm learning lots, but lots to still learn. I have Googled plenty and cannot get a clear indication , is the the current Touareg 3.0 v6 TDI motor, the same, as used in the Audi SQ5 ?
I see they are pulling 230 kw from the Audi engine, Would this be from different turbos and factory ECU tune, ( assuming same basic engine ) or is this a complete new evolution of the engine ?

The SQ5 is a different motor as far as I️ can tell - I️ think it has a stronger bottom end and different turbo. I️ think there is a lot more but can not remember when the VW tech was telling me.

· Registered
89 Posts
the bluefin (superchips uk) reads your ecu data, sends it back to their base, and if it is within pre specified parameters then you almlost instantly get a tune back to load into the car.

if it does not fall within what they are expecting then they will tweak to suit then send it back the next day.

either way it doesnt seem like a 'generic' tune as such, because they gather data from your specific vehicle.

all sounds good in theory, but it wouldnt read my cars data due to vehicle protections in place. so i sent mine back. others have had no issue with the installation process at all.

i'm waiting till the rep can visit me after chrismas to work out a way arouond it...

· Registered
2017 Touareg Wolfsburg, 195 kw 625 nm.m torque.
34 Posts
Hi Longhaul,
I use New Genius OBD system and have a stage 1 and stage 2 software mod, using a plug in chip only fools the computer and increases fuel rail pressure whereas mine recalibrates the ECU.

· Registered
17 Posts
GraLis ,
Thanks for that, I googled the New genius system, I understand that it reprograms the ECU., But who's stage 1 and 2 software are you using.?
OK, opened my eyes and found their tunes. But could not see what KW and NM gains they are. Also, the New genius system, you say holds your stage 1 and 2 tunes, does it also hold the standard tune as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.