Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a source for new blower motors. It does come with th efan, ready to go. I haven't installed it yet - but for less than $100 bucks delievered, I'm very hopeful. Looks just like the stock unit, right down to the huuuuge motor contacts.
Pics and confirmation that it works to follow in a couple hours. :D

Source:
Auto Parts, Car Parts and Auto Accessories at Discount Prices | DriveWire.com

Usually I use RockAuto Parts Catalog - but they (like EVERYWHERE) didn't list a Touareg blower.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The new motor. Comes with everything, feels the same, same (massive) motor weight, same huuuuge carbon brushes (curved when new, I see).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prep. I new a new cabin filter would be a good idea too. This car has about 50k on it, and came to Alaska from Colorado. No way to know if the filter was ever swapped. It's pretty common for it NOT to happen on other cars I've worked on. I used to be a Ford tech - we had Contours come in with heaters that could barely clear frost off the windshield ...100k without a filter change.

I worked outside in the snow to do this. Took about 40 minutes, with picture taking. It was my second time, tho'. First time I cleaned the motor a bit, sprayed it with contact cleaner, and it made it another 6 weeks before that "humming/vibrating/not-blowing" happened again. It gave me time to find this MUCH cheaper option :D so was worth the time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the kick-panel/heater duct that has to be popped off - it's a bit of a booger to break loose.

What I needed to know was HOW it comes off, so I don't break things prying.....

The deal is, all the retaining clips are in the side closest to you. If you can slip something in there, it will pop apart. It takes quite a bit of pressure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the connector to the light.

Squeeze the tabs - and pull. I had to reach under with two hands and push with my index fingers to get the squeeze/pull combination right....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this was an important piece - you need enough reach to get up alongside the motor to get to the screws located wwwwayyy up in there.

There are 7 screws - 3 on each side, and one in the middle on top of the fan housing.

*Helpful hint on re-installation - turn the screw counter-clockwise, backwards, till the screw "hops" as it drops into it's old cut in the housing - that is, re-use the threads the screw already cut for itself when the fan was installed at the factory rather than force it into new ones - much easier to turn by hand.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By far the most difficult part of the job, for my car at least - was the big wire harness bundle seen in this pic on the rh side...

it's really tough to force aside - if it was routed differently, this blower swap would be cake. It's still not the worst one I've had to do, not even close - but I wish that was just a bit higher up, above the blower. As it is, it takes quite a bit of force to push the harness aside, and the blower house has to be coaxed and prodded to get out, and getting correctly aligned on install ....:evil:

But it's in - wife is happy :D

While I was in, I went for the air filter.

Kind of dirty....

New one going in......

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pic of the two side by side. Pretty much identical twins. I think I'll try to take apart the VW blower, see about a rebuild......tho for $100 shipped on the new one, it's hard to justify messing with it.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excellent writeup and good pics. I purchased one from ebay a few months ago for about $75 dollars that said it was for a Porsche Cayenne. It seems to be working fine so far. Sometimes there is a slight noise coming from the new motor at lower speeds. I don't really know how to describe it. Maybe a rubbing or the motor isn't balanced as well. It isn't too big of a deal for me, since I saved over $200. I just turn up the music or adjust the blower speed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd almost bought a Cayenne blower too - chickened out :D I'm glad to hear it really does work.

I was THIS close to buying a used blower motor for $180 - PLUS SHIPPING.... this is a much better deal.

The unit I have is working great. The filter off course made a huge difference - I'm surprised it was flowing as much as it was, but now it's MUCH better. My was was unhappy with the amount of heat on the floor area in cold weather ( we had a few weeks of -20F) but even at 20F-30F it wasn't great - now it IS.

No noise from the new blower, except as you shut off the car, you can hear it spinning down, turning the last little bit befor it stops. Can't hear it with the car on.

Next I do an oil change.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question: I didn't resize my pics because the website seems to do it for me ... or is it just that I'm using Chrome?

If anyone requests it, I can resize them without breaking the links.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
pics are fine, don't worry about it.
I had a noisy fan and bit of contact cleaner shut it up for now. Thanks for the write up.
If you don't mind, here are some pics of the fan motor and state of the brushes @ 55000 miles.

Cheers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did you use for a puller to remove the fan cage? I have my old unit still, and I figure I can replace the brushes and keep it for a spare. It looks like it will take some interesting adaptation to get that cage off of there......once I pull it I can measure the brushes. The odd curve in the middle will be tough to duplicate, but it seems like about the time they wear to that curve the trouble starts. Maybe the extra wide contact at that curve point is part of the trouble. You can see from the picture above that the contact area is extra long due to the "laid down" angle of the brushes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two hands to hold it and one for the punch and one for the hammer .... easy peasey lol. I will see what I can come up with. I was making it more complex than it needed to be I guess.:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found this by entering my 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 3.2 in again: REPV192004 - selling for 93.32 - I then confirmed the part number works by entering and searching for it directly.

Erik

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.