Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the Touareg has sensors to tell whether you are towing and that there is some system adaptations done. I do tow an Airstream (23 foot) and had the dealer check the outputs on my Touareg 7 pin with a commercial tester. All pins 'alive' except for #3, the Aux 12V+charging pin. My question is whether this circuit was shut down by the Touareg smart system because it did not sense batteries or whether I have a fault. Searched forum and could not find any discussion on this.

Scotsman

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
930 Posts
Different socket arrangement in the UK/EU but the principle's the same.

AFAIK, VW only started wiring the socket(s) for fridge & battery charging from the 2015 model year. Prior to that, only road lighting circuits were provided.

You'd need to check the VW Canada specification for your model year.

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
From one Airstream and Touareg owner to another:

Circuit teseters rarely work well on the Touareg. The Touareg needs to see a full lighting load to enable the charging circuit in the tow module.

Do this: Hook Airstream up. Have you (or dealer) measure the battery charge at the trailer battieries. Note the voltage. It should be in the 12-12.8 range. Now hook up the trailer umbilical to the running Touareg. Go back and note voltage at the batteries. It should be slowly increasing to 13.8-14.4V, indicating you have a charge. Make sure the trailer battery disconnect switch is in the ON (powered) position. Off will leaving you with no charge to the batteries.

Failing all of that, check the fuse from the vehicle to the trailer to see if it has blown.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Different socket arrangement in the UK/EU but the principle's the same.

AFAIK, VW only started wiring the socket(s) for fridge & battery charging from the 2015 model year. Prior to that, only road lighting circuits were provided.

You'd need to check the VW Canada specification for your model year.
Not true. T1 charges just fine. Coding should be 0000002. Pin 4 is hot even with no key so unplug trailer overnight.

·
Registered
190 Posts
All kinds of stuff happens when you plug up with the 7 pin round. It also changes some functions that normally worked without the trailer.

I never had any issues with the VW hook up or my Lexus. Mercedes is another story! We won't go there either. Still not solved. The LED lights on the trailer drive the SAM nuts.

Before you get too invested in what you're doing, make sure it all works before you sign off on it.

Also is that 23 foot trailer under the weight limit of what VW says is safe to pull? This is where lots of stuff goes wrong!

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
930 Posts
All kinds of stuff happens when you plug up with the 7 pin round. It also changes some functions that normally worked without the trailer.

I never had any issues with the VW hook up or my Lexus. Mercedes is another story! We won't go there either. Still not solved. The LED lights on the trailer drive the SAM nuts.

Before you get too invested in what you're doing, make sure it all works before you sign off on it.

Also is that 23 foot trailer under the weight limit of what VW says is safe to pull? This is where lots of stuff goes wrong!
Don't about your market but the Touareg is rated to tow 3500kg / 7700lb) in Europe

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
He's fine with a 23' both in length and weight. Let's not turn this into a towing discussion.

Laurence is probably right on PIN 4 always being on, at least on a T1/T2. I have no direct experience with a T3 and if the systems might have changed greatly in this design. I do remember that in the early T1's the fuse for the charge cable was not installed.

All of this bears asking: Is this the factory tow package?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2014 us tdi with the factory 7 pin connector. I hooked up my new trailer to the connector lights and electric brakes work fine. No juice to battery whether car on car off or trailer plugged in. Voltage of trailer battery remains unchanged

Which fuse should control that 12v pin, maybe that's the problem

Sure hate that no service manuals or wiring diagrams are out there for this model. The Bentley manual for my tdi Beatle allowed me to trace these problems

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What is t he coding on address 69? IMO all Touareg owners should either have VCDS or deep pockets and a good stealership.
The shopmanual is available online at VW's erwin.com.
Have you studied the fuse information in the glovebox and on the cards iin the fosebox covers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts