Club Touareg Forum banner

Changing from wheel bolts to studs

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  MLB007 
#1 ·
Finally fed up with manhandling these 32kg wheels when fitting them on the Touareg using the original bolts, so I bought 20 M14-1.5 x 60mm lg studs and nuts from Rennline. they use them on the Cayenne and also track day cars.
Fitted them and so far its a joy to mount them onto the hubs. Should have done it a long time ago.
I run dedicated snows and summers so I at least change them twice and year.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Used the aluminium pin faithfully and bent it, straightened it, bent again. I’ve had the wheels off and on at least 6 times over the last year. 5 pilot pins are much better than 1. The originals bolts that have the aluminium thick washer was starting to corrode badly, so changing to studs killed a few birds... so to speak

#4 ·
I don't know what year Treg you have but did yours originally use the plastic chrome looking lug bolt covers? If so does it mean that you can not use them anymore?

#6 ·
I wonder how you manage to mount the wheel without damaging the threads. I have never not owned a stud version car. Is it that easy or do you have to be really careful? I see you have an few cm of space before you hit the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The rims are aluminium and the stud threads are a harder steel material so threads don’t get damaged. They use studs all the time for competition and they hold up well. I have bought 4 spares as well just in case

#8 ·
My intention is to get some wheel spacers, hence the reason why the studs look too long just now. I am hoping for 15 or 20mm for the front and 25 or 30mm for the rear, depending if the front wheels rub with too wide spacer. Anybody use spacers ?

#9 ·
I do like these however ... what about the locking nut ... how will that fit

#10 ·
I have the 35mm long wheel studs, also from Rennline. Slightly better looking, in my opinion, but slightly more effort to install a wheel than the 60mm studs. I suppose you could drill out the plastic caps to fit over the stud, but I kind of like the contrasting color. As for wheel locks, there are locking nuts available on the market, since most cars use studs.

#12 ·
I live in northern Ontario, so theft is not such a problem... (hopefully), wasn’t too concerned about having a locking type nut. Just one more potential hassle if it gets lost, seized, worn or broken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.