Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now understand why VW only sells the entire shaft, and not just the support bearing - what a pain in the *** that was!

I took the entire shaft out (and this was a pain on it's own since it was seized to the diff), after disassembling and pressing in the new bearing support, the "cap" that goes over the ball bearings at the joint would not want to seal. Tried everything, even had it on the press at one point, and it continued to pop off. See pic below for the cap i'm referring to (where my finger is pointing). Is this cap available on the market anywhere?

I was able to get to almost a perfect seal, and then to make sure it holds I put a thick layer of black gasket maker to ensure a good seal.

I'm hoping this will hold, but if it doesn't I may be stuck having to disassemble the entire thing and putting on a new cap, or replacing the entire shaft worst case scenario.

Anyone run into this issue? I know most are using the EPS permanent fix, but I decided to take it all apart since i was able to source the support bearing for $90.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You are a brave man! I took one look at the driveshaft and decided rather to go with the EPS bracket. It's a high quality bracket that will outlast the car and an easy DIY. I would differ from the company video that it's not 20 minute job (if I recall correctly) but more in the 2-3 hour range if you do it for the first time. Cleaning the rubber of the bearing alone took me close to 20 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts