Club Touareg Forum banner

Changed starter

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ajnanyc 
#1 ·
Well changed the starter yesterday, 8 hours of removing and installing.
Front shaft, inner fender, airfilter housing, front right exhaust incl. Cat. And manifold, engine jacked up removed enine mount.

Some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
This is helpful as I have noticed mine turns over slowly and MAY not be the battery(but I could be assuming the worst) but both my my flex pipes are in need of replacement. Is there any merit to changing out the starter while I'm in there? Like I said, I don't know for sure yet if it's bad but the labor involved looks like it may be worth the preventative swap.

#6 ·
Its quite a bit of work since, one has to take off the exh.manifold.
And you have to jack up the engine and remove the engine mount, wich mounts to the engine block. At least the way i did it. I also just worked around the chassi mount.

Also made new starter and alternator (B+) wires.

Preventative on my account.
A whole different car when it comes to starting

#8 ·
What are the symptoms of a bad starter? I'm having starting issues but not sure if it's engine speed sensor or starter. The engine cranks but no spark. I could start it by spraying starting fluid into both air ducts, but now even that won't work. Before that, car would start if not driven for a few hours. If driven and then left warm for 1-2 hours, I would have starting problems but could get it to start by using starting fluid. A couple days ago car started normal after sitting overnight, and then during idle just stalled and I have not been able to start it since no matter what I do.

#11 ·
Symptoms of bad starter can be different things, like intermittet start with clikcking, stuck starter. Many times it is just the solenoid, one can destroy the solenoid by giving start and touching cables together for example.
Arching from starter like I had. Burning out the starter from continuesly cranking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.