Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all....just changed the battery no problem. Has juice to all electronics, but key will not turn in ignition.

Any help would be great

·
Registered
209 Posts
You may have tried it but,
Have you jiggeled the steering wheel while turning the key. That use to do the trick with the old column locking ignitions.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
A couple questions:
When you insert your key, does it recognize something is in the ignition. Does it make the audible *swish...click* then door chime for example?

Do you have multiple keys? Does this happen with all?
Did you just remove old battery or did you use the battery saver technique (jumper poles under hood to 12v source to keep settings)? Not sure, but if this wasn't performed then it could be a reason as it may need some kind of reset...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Could you have inadvertently tripped the anti-theft system? Put all your windows up and close all doors, lock and unlock vehicle with the key fob. That's a weird fault for sure.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A couple questions:
When you insert your key, does it recognize something is in the ignition. Does it make the audible *swish...click* then door chime for example?

Do you have multiple keys? Does this happen with all?
Did you just remove old battery or did you use the battery saver technique (jumper poles under hood to 12v source to keep settings)? Not sure, but if this wasn't performed then it could be a reason as it may need some kind of reset...
I've changed my battery without any 12V source [the leads fell off the underhood/bonnet terminals!] with no problem and I didn't "lose" anything.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All,

Thanks for your thoughts, but let's mark this one up to I'm just a large, I mean HUGE Knucklehead......the story. Changed the battery, put the seat back in place with all plastic modeling, etc. Jump back in drivers seat, push keyless start button nothing, key in ignition, but won't turn to start.

Turn on all electronics and they work. Try the key in the ignition again and nothing.

Bring the Tiguan up to the Treg and hook up the jumper cables. Try to start the Treg again and nothing. While sitting in the Treg I push all the buttons on the key FOB and when I hit the "lock" button I heard the horn, but it sound very different. Hmmmm....what the hell happened to the horn I was thinking.

Unhooked the jumpers from the Tiguan and loosened the seat again to look at the connections on the battery. All was good. Dam, what the hell was wrong as the Treg would still not start. And I'm looking at the message in the MFI saying, "Key not in range". Now I'm thinking what the hell is wrong with Treg keys. Is the battery in the key FOB dead now and that's the issue? So I change the battery in the key FOB. Still no start of the Treg......F**K Me! What the hell is wrong!

Loosen the drivers seat again, tilt back and inspect everything again. Everything's OK and put it all back together.

Sit back in the driver's seat. Put key in ignition and it would not turn to the right. Looked at the MFI and again it say's, "Key not in range". Take the key FOB and start hitting all the buttons to lock, unlock, trunk release and panic. I don't hear anything happening in the Treg, but when I hit the "lock" button the horn sounds, but boy does it sound weak.

Take a minute to relax some as I was drenched in sweat and freaking out. Did I brick the ECU? Did I fry some fuses? What the hell did I do wrong?

I looked down at the keys to only then realize that I HAD THE KEYS FOR THE JETTA!!!!!!!!!! I went back in the house, grabbed the keys for the Treg. Got in and she started right up.

I am such a knucklehead. I burnt at least 2 hrs. after the battery change trying to start the Treg with the wrong keys. We have the Treg, a Tiguan and a Jetta and I was using the Jetta keys. That's why every time the horn sounded weak when I hit the lock button the key FOB while in the Treg.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And yeh.....I also swapped the battery without an external power supply to the Treg and the only thing needing reset was the clock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts