Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I have a 14 gear old touareg v8. The headlights Are very bad, No lux on the road surface. Tried polish glass, lens, cleaning reflector, 2 New sets og d1s bulbs 35 and 55 watt xenon bulbs. Nothing helps. Imidlertid pretty sure the reflector and/or xenon Lens have gone bad, and was thinking about changing Them for a pair og these below:
https://m.autodoc.de/hd-karosserieteile/7041982

Would it be possible to fit 'h7/h9' headlights to a touareg born with 'd1s' headlights?

Other ideas or solutions Are very much appreciated.

Best regards philip

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would buy new units which come without bulbs and use new ones you already bought.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The wiring from the connector block in the headlight "bucket" that "mates" with the block in the back of the headlight unit is different.

I know you can get a loom to upgrade from halogen to xenons from https://www.kufatec.de/shop/de/volkswagen but I don't think you can get one to downgrade from xenon to halogen.

Much better to buy the correct new xenon headlight units if you can as the halogen lites are ****es!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.
I Wouldnt downgrade to halogen. Just simply replace headlights and add h7/9 xenon Bulbs.

What you guys mean with replacing the units?

Best regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you mean new bi xenon headlights the price is crazy likes usd 1000, and I was looking for a cheaper fix. :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The link you put up shows a headlight UNIT - i.e. the complete item.

As I explained, you can't simply swap one type of unit for the other and going from xenon to halogen is a retrograde step on light output.

Have you looked for second hand xenon units?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The link you put up shows a headlight UNIT - i.e. the complete item.

As I explained, you can't simply swap one type of unit for the other and going from xenon to halogen is a retrograde step on light output.

Have you looked for second hand xenon units?
I figured i could add xenon bulbs with ballast in the 'halogen unit' because of the projector lens. Ive done that on an audi a4 with no problem when i was young

The most important is the wiring harness/plugs must be plug and play and as well as coding/vcds. I understand these dont fit and I thank you for the reply.
Im afraid to buy used if the projector is burnt as well as they are in my units. From reading from this page it is common when the units use xenon for drl and therefore i would replace borh units. Ive read someone has replaced the bulb housing (reflector and projector) but it seems to be a messy job and no plug and play parts for the job.

Best regards Philip

·
Registered
2006 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI
10 Posts
I figured i could add xenon bulbs with ballast in the 'halogen unit' because of the projector lens. Ive done that on an audi a4 with no problem when i was young

The most important is the wiring harness/plugs must be plug and play and as well as coding/vcds. I understand these dont fit and I thank you for the reply.
Im afraid to buy used if the projector is burnt as well as they are in my units. From reading from this page it is common when the units use xenon for drl and therefore i would replace borh units. Ive read someone has replaced the bulb housing (reflector and projector) but it seems to be a messy job and no plug and play parts for the job.

Best regards Philip
I am in the same (very dim) situation with my T1
what did you end up doing with your lights?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Upgrade to the 2nd revision Philips xenon bulbs, d1s for that version touareg

·
Registered
753 Posts
The chances are the chrome reflectors have failed so it won't matter what bulbs you install.

You need to remove the headlights and inspect the chroming before doing anything.

If the chroming is good and you have halogen bulbs, then fit Philips Ultinon LEDs.

If the chroming is bad then buy new headlight units and fit Philis Ultinon LEDs.

If you have xenon headlights and the chroming is good buy the latest Philips xenon bulbs.

If the chroming is bad buy new headlight units and fit the latest Philips xenon bulbs.

Also note that the insulation on the wiring inside the early headlights is very poor quality and falls off leaving bare wires, so inspect the wiring very carefully too

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you buy new housings you MUST get OEM.. aftermarket crap usually doesnt have the reflective housings built properly for HID.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
564 Posts
Just replaced both headlight assemblies for my T1. Dumbass me bought halogen which I thought I had, but had xenon. Halogen assemblies are cheaper and fit, however the plug in car is 12 pin for xenon and halogen only 6 pin. Knew I was in trouble when the halogens did not have the range control motor, or the Valero control module cut out. The module which is a rectangular alloy metal unit the xenon bulb plugs into. The halogens did come with all bulbs. When I ordered the correct xenon did not come with bulbs but did come with the range control motor. The xenon did not come with the Valero control module and I used the ones from the original assemblies. Pretty certain no one sells the OEM xenon assembly with the necessary control module, but they do have the range control motor. None of this is cheap. A little under $400 per assembly and $140 or so for xenon bulbs. I just bought two VAG light bulb kits from ESC. Kit has all bulbs and fuses. Well worth the money lights look and work great. Had forgot what night driving was suppose to look like.

·
Registered
753 Posts
There is a lead kit from Kufatec.de to convert from halogen to xenon so people can upgrade but, thankfully, not one for going the other way!

Glad you can see where you are going now!

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
564 Posts
Minor correction on my previous post. Lights are Valeo not Valero. Always get that wrong. Exact oem fitment for Touareg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts