Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined yesterday and I am a new owner of a 2013 V6. Need advice on chain application for the snow. My manual says, "Front only" for chains, is this correct? Then saw a video of chains being put on the rear, now I am confused.:confused: (not familiar with the Treg drivetrain).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just joined yesterday and I am a new owner of a 2013 V6. Need advice on chain application for the snow. My manual says, "Front only" for chains, is this correct? Then saw a video of chains being put on the rear, now I am confused.:confused: (not familiar with the Treg drivetrain).
They go on the front, but you can't have chains that wrap around your tire. I bought Thule K summit chains. Expensive but work well. You can also do a search here, been discussed in the past.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
What size wheels and what size tires are fitted to you car?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Tire chains are mentioned twice in the North American T3 manual for my 2012, once under road driving, where because of the variable conditions that may be encountered (snow, ice, partial snow, clear) on pavement, and the reluctance of car drivers to remove chains immediately they are not required, they say that only the front axle MAY be chained. Under the off-road section, they strongly recommend both axles (all four wheels) be chained in snow conditions. As the Touareg is an incredibly capable snow vehicle, with only a proper set of snow tires, the only time I chain up (and I chain up all round) is when there is deep snow on the roadway, or track, in front of me. It matters not wether the base level is pavement or not, it's buried under compact snow/ice. No issue at all with the Torsen drive train. The North American manual 30.03.2011 gives three acceptable tire/rim combinations for fitting snow chains, 235/65-R17, and 255/60-R17 on 7 1/2J x ET55 rims, and 255/55-R18 on 8J x 18 ET 57 rims. The concern is side clearance, and they recommend that, if possible, use low profile chains, no thicker than 15mm. I use the narrower 235/65-17 tires in winter, and carry a full set (4) of diamondback heavy duty 2500Q series chains. (5.5mm cross section square links).
99.9999998% of the time it's, as Nooby would say, just point and squirt with proper winter tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.