Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an 08 V6 treg, 125k. It has the familiar rattling sound at startup of a timing chain tensioner that droops when the car sits (both my previous V6 B5 Passats had this). My question is, do I need to address this, or can I safely ignore it? If replacement is warranted, how big a job is this?

BTW, thanks to those who keep the forum going, was so glad to find the treg sister site to PassatWorld!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There is a TSB out there someplace on this. I searched and found the following. I have this same rattle (always have). If you change your oil you will hear it REALLY bad on the first start. Some Treg's do it and other seem to not so much...but it doesn't seem to change over vehicle life...

TT-06-106
All Model Year Engines with Adjustable Cam Timing

If you have a complaint of a rattle or knocking noise coming from the Camshaft Chain Tensioner(s) or Camshaft Adjuster(s) for the first couple of seconds after the engine starts, do NOT replace the Camshaft Tensioner(s) or Camshaft Adjuster(s) for this concern; it will NOT eliminate this noise.

Camshaft adjustment is hydraulically actuated and controlled by engine oil pressure. If the engine hasn’t been run for a length of time, the oil pressure drops and some of the oil partially flows back into the sump. After a cold start, by design, oil pressure inside the camshaft adjusters must be built up as fast as possible which can sometimes cause a rattle or knocking noise. The noise is considered normal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts